Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2014, 13:21   #16
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Lithium Charging

Quote:
Originally Posted by d design View Post
How do I charge a lithium with my boats alternator and solar regulator that are designed for Lead acid batteries? Just wondering because one day i will upgrade. Let me guess. [ an expensive solar regulator designed for lithium batteries will be required for solar input, And an external regulator will need to be fitted to my alternator with the voltage set to 13.4v (LiFe) ?]

Sorry for dumb question.

And no im not going to read through that entire stupid long thread about lithium batteries just to find the info im asking here.

Yes you will need charge and regulator systems that are capable of being setup for lithiums, you will need low and high voltage protective cut outs and you will need cell monitoring and alarms linked to that HVC LVC .

More detail = read thread

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 16-03-2014, 15:02   #17

Boat: currently a power boat :(

D, I read the entire thread and don't have a sailboat, but in my future plans. It may seem daunting, but it truly is a great and informative read. There are a lot of areas that can be skimmed through, but understanding how, why and where IMO are just as important. Patience is a virtue
Old 16-03-2014, 15:08   #18

All right
d design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2014, 15:44   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Phantom 40

Simple way is to purchase batteries with built in BMS and use the charging system you have. You will not get them fully charged but they will work.
As for Lithium cells blowing up, the LiFePO4 chemistry is different from the model airplane battery chemistry. They are slightly heavier but very much safer.

Peter
KASHMIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2014, 15:54   #20

And have a lower voltage but have a nice discharge curve for performance but not for monitoring.
d design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2014, 16:05   #21
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by KASHMIR View Post
Simple way is to purchase batteries with built in BMS and use the charging system you have. You will not get them fully charged but they will work.
As for Lithium cells blowing up, the LiFePO4 chemistry is different from the model airplane battery chemistry. They are slightly heavier but very much safer.

Peter

I fly and build autonomous rc quadcopter " drones " , like arducopter. The R/C hobbyists use Lipo and subject them to enormous discharge rates upto 100 C in sone cases they regularly charge at 6-10C. They also occasionally crash the whole thing from 400 feet into the ground. It's not surprising every now and then, things burst into flames. It's a tribute to lipo, no other battery could handle the abuse.

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tags
charging