Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2019, 17:36   #1

Boat: Beneteau 343
Inverter Installation/Location

I have room in the battery area under my aft bunk to add a 2000W inverter. It would make for very short DC power cables but I read that inverters need to be separated from the batteries (4 GCs in my case). Beneteau put the charger in same area. Is it a no no to install the inverter so close to the batteries?
EmeraldCoastSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2019, 17:46   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: Inverter Installation/Location

The fumes from batteries will corrode metal. And battery boxes should have a venting system.
As for the inverter, it needs to be well ventilated, especially if it'll be used often. Follow the instruction book for installation, especially the wire size. If anything, go up one size for full efficiency.
And install it well above the waterline. Mine was set up to run a submersible pump for dewatering, just in case.

Is it a 'true sine' wave? Some electronics will not run properly unless it is.
Old 14-01-2019, 17:57   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCoastSailor View Post
I have room in the battery area under my aft bunk to add a 2000W inverter. It would make for very short DC power cables but I read that inverters need to be separated from the batteries (4 GCs in my case). Beneteau put the charger in same area. Is it a no no to install the inverter so close to the batteries?
Beneteau really puts a battery charger in the same box as the batteries? Geez... That is terrible! Have they really sunk so low?

The only things that belong in battery boxes are BATTERIES. Sulfuric acid and flammable gases are NOT compatible with electronics. Even sealed batteries can vent if over charged or if the regulating valves fail (I have had it happen!)

The heat from a charger and/or an inverter also does not belong in the box.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 00:30   #4

Not "above" the batteries. The gases go up.

Inverters are ideally within 5' of batteries.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 22:36   #5

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Anything over 6' you'll have to up grade wire size. I believe I used 2/0 AWG on my 2000W, that was just on the opposite side of the bulkhead from the batteries.

Here's a reasonable cost supplier... https://gregsmarinewiresupply.com/Marine-Battery-Cable

Also, here's some good wiring charts...... http://www.cncphotoalbum.com/doityou...ing/wiring.htm

Tags
installation, inverter