Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2019, 18:28   #16

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)
Re: Installing 24volt Wind Turbine ...into ..12volt system insatllation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ski69sail View Post
Hi There

So Im thinking this DCDC24 to 12volt charger may just work ??

Victron Orion Voltage Converter (Non-Isolated / 24V - 12V DC / 70A)
Part No. VC-ORI241270020

Feed Back Please !!!! Fom somebody who may just know !!!
First of all this is voltage converter, not a battery to battery charger, as far as I can see. A converter is a device to run 12 volt devices from a 24 volt battery. So I doubt if it will work. Certainly it will not charge any 12 Volt battery properly.

I doubt if these kind of voltage converters, and even DC-DC chargers, will work on their own. The voltages of the wind generator are mostly much higher than the 24 volt, and only 'moderated' to 24 volt by batteries they connect to. Voltages might rise to several 100s Volts if the windgen cannot dispose of its current.

In addition to that, if you are using a 24 Volt LVM controller without a battery (and connect the wind gen output to the input of the converter), the controller may see the higher voltage all the time, and re-direct the current to the resistors all the time, or.... the higher voltages will exceed the safe input voltage level of the converter/dc-dc charger, and thus fry it. Either way, not very helpful.

The following setup may work, only if you have, and that is my opinion:
- a proper wind controller and dump resistors down stream from windgen
- a 24 volt battery connected to controller, and such battery need to have sufficient capacity, and 24 Volt means really having two 12 Volt batteries in series
- a converter or DC-DC charger input connected to 24 V battery
- your 12 Volt bank connected to the output of converter/ DC to DC charger

Even with a DC-DC charger, you may only get part of the windgen output in your 12 Volt bank as the capacity of most DC-DC charger is really low, and big DC-DC chargers are very expensive.

If I was in your shoes/boat, I would not go this complicated way, I would cut my losses, and start from scratch with a 12 Volt windgen and/or more solarpanels

Edit: I see that John in the previous post mentions the unit to be a proper DC to DC charger. I value John's opinion, therefore the first paragraph in this post does not apply.
Old 25-11-2019, 23:41   #17
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Not all in that line are.

Orion 24/12-70 is, with adjustable setpoint to match the specs of the target 12V bank. And 70A current, presumably at output voltage.

The main difference is having an automated stop-charge algorithm, then dropping to float.

Read the manual for details. https://www.victronenergy.com/dc-dc-...v-110v#manuals
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 00:48   #18

Boat: Ganley Transition 41 (corten steel )

Hi John

So just to recap......

I can run the Eclectic D400 at 24 volts through the factory provided 24 volt charge controller, then through the Orion 24/12-70 to my 12 volt battery bank ???

2 x 12 volt Lifeline batteries at approximatly 480 amp hours

His set up is only for when Im on the vessel doing water sailing">blue water sailing..not around the harbour..... so it is only a back up charging system....My current solar seems to be more than adequit.
ski69sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 04:35   #19
cruiser

Just spitballin' but pretty sure you'd need the 24V bank as a buffer.

Don't wind gennies also require a load dump / sink, like HWS to divert excess production to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Charge into a small 24V bank, might also be useful in future for winch / windlass / bowthruster / watermaker

Then use B2B DCDC charger to go from there into your main 12V bank.
Sterling is another option for the B2B.

Use the DCDC purchase as a carrot to get a pro with wind experience to help, future support too.
Old 26-11-2019, 06:22   #20

Boat: sabre 28

I would think somebody has a smart wind generator controller that steps down 24 volts to 12 volt output. My midnight kid solar system controller does.
Old 26-11-2019, 06:28   #21
cruiser

Yes, not sure if OP checked these out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Check out C35 & C60 from Xantrex (Schneider) Trace
Also, output from a 24V controller could feed a Victron MPPT, but that would be bit of a redneck kludge IMO and maybe have too many efficiency losses..

Tags
wind