Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2008, 19:56   #1

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Hot water

Awhile back I installed a Tristar TS45 controlar (off the 4-winds generator) and set the deverter load to dump into a coil in the hotwater heater.. The "dump" only works when the batteries reach 14.1 which is seldom due to the fact that I have 10 of the Freedom 4ds on board. My solar (2 each 75 w pannels) are run through a seperate Prostar 15.
Batteries uasally run between 13.2 and 12.5 which is in the mid range for these battries(50% is at 12.2)
Question,
Wondering if I can by-pass the TS45 with a switch at the top and a diode on the bottom and run the 4-winds directly into the heating coil to provide hot water.. (by-passing the TS45) Should I be able to run the 4-winds into the coil without having a battery in line????? and if I would have to put a battery in line, could it be that simple to get hot water...
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 08:45   #2

Basic idea: when there's excess current, convert it into heat that's sitting in water, thereby cranking up the temperature of the water? Sounds reasonable. I wonder what the physics involved in that are.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 10:01   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
One watt hour is equal to 860 calories. So that means at 5 amps running 12 volts for an hour makes 51,600 calories. That means it would heat about 13 gallons of water 1 degree C. This all assumes you are running theoretically perfect equipment and the tank has perfect insulation.

I wouldn't wait for tea.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 10:27   #4

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
IMHO it would be much more efficient to gather the sun's heat directly than using wind to do it.

I made a hot water panel out of 1/2"copper water pipe and recirculated the domestic pressurized water with a March magnetic drive pump connected between the inlet and outlet of the hot water tank. To control it I used a differential controller, but you could switch the pump on at breakfast and shut it off at dinner. The approximately 2'x4' panel was integrated into my solar array. Hot water was always there. I could take a hot shower in the middle of the night from yesterday's heat.
The hole is for the backstay.

Steve B.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Max's solar hot water panel.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	2438  
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 16:54   #5

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Thanks for the replys guys, the load is already installed in the tank so I thought I might take advantage of it.. But Steve, got some good ideas there guy.. The wife is always asking for hot water, either to wash dishes or for the shower and at this point, all I have(while away from the dock) is the closed loop from the motor..
I've got two solar pannels atop the bimmine, I might be able to work in a pannel of tubing. Thinking back, a number of years ago, I worked for a company that installed pannels for pool heating... Given me some good ideas..........
Question,
Now where might find a pump that would put up with hot water?
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 17:08   #6

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Randyonr3, we have had the fourwinds for many years and after I added the solar panels we had the same issues with diverting the juice. The problem with the hot water heater was having to switch it back and forth from accepting the 12 volt to the 110 when we wanted to heat water. And there would never be enough, at least on our boat, power going in to heat anything anyway. we chose a 60 watt bulb mounted in the corner and when it lights up we know the batteries are happy. It does not light up that often. I understand that there is now a dual voltage element for the heater but have not investigated that.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 17:13   #7

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
I used a series 893. It gave me good service, handled the hot pressurized water just fine.

March Pump Home Page

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote