Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2010, 14:18   #31
Eternal Member

Iota DLS-55 with IQ-4 smart charge built in. $195.72 at Arizona Wind and Sun:
Iota DLS-55 12 volt 55 amp regulated battery charger

The EU2000i will handle this easily. It will put out more amps on average than most "marine" chargers.

The DLS-75 (75A) may be too big for the generator, but some have used one with success.

Either way, you won't find a better charger for your application IMHO, certainly not at anywhere near these prices.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2010, 14:25   #32

could this DLS-55 charger be used as the sole charger for the boat. ie could it be wired into the shore power hook up as well as to the Honda gen set?
fullkeel2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2010, 15:07   #33
Eternal Member

Yes, absolutely.

B.
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2010, 20:06   #34

Boat: 38' 1983 Pearson 385 - "Zydeco"
Our DLS-75 is the sole charger on our boat. It's wired directly into the 30 amp shore power. When we are on the hook and need to charge with the Honda EU2000i, we use a 15 amp to 30 amp pigtail adapter. Plug the 15 amp end into the Honda, plug the 30 amp end into the shore power connection and you're off to the races.

When the batteries are done, turn off the charger and turn on the water heater for 15 to 20 minutes and enjoy a hot shower. Sometimes we turn on the outlets and charge the laptops, run the vacuum, etc. We can run the a/c or heat the same way. Not all at once of course......
Zydeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 21:54   #35

Re: Honda EU2000 Largest Charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
johnar, Honda are very clear that their 12v output is not suitable for anything except battery charging, it is a very "dirty" dc voltage that would damage a lot of equipment if used directly. There is also a web site someplace, I have seen it but don't have the URL, that shows oscilloscope readings of the DC output from the Honda because it is also a popular charger for ham radio operators in the field. VERY DIRTY POWER. Honda could probably change the manual to read "Hook up anything besides a battery at your own peril" but these days...who reads the manual?
If the Honda is hooked up to charge a battery then connect your equipment to it. Wouldn't the battery act as a filter and take out most of the "dirty" stuff? I'm sure the 12 volt output isn't meant to connect equipment directly to it like ham radio xmitters etc. The load of the battery will act as a pretty good filter for your equipment.
Old 21-05-2011, 22:38   #36

The Honda manual clearly states that "The DC receptacle should ONLY be used for charging 12-volt automotive type batteries. The DC charging output is not regulated."
Old 21-05-2011, 23:02   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

The AC output produces more power. You could attach a battery charger to the AC side of the generator.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2011, 10:37   #38
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Wouldn't the battery act as a filter" Sure. Will it be a 100% effective filter, or will your equipment be damaged?

There IS one way to find out. <G>

Electronics equipment on cars and boats gets killed by spike damage all the time, year in and year out, despite batteries acting as filters. Most don't get damaged, some always do.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2011, 18:28   #39

Quote:
"Why is it that you can’t use two charges on a single battery bank at once?"
You can, and you can also have two wives and live in perfect harmony. But like the two wives, the two battery chargers may have different idea about reality and contradict each other, and make your life hell. The "smarter" each charger is, the more likely you'll get hell.
Question on this?
I use a Xantrex 20A charger on a 205AH house and a Start battery through a Blue seas ACR when plugedd into shore power. Is there a problem running the engine (which has a 100A Balmer alternator and regulator) without turning off the Xantrex?
ie. Both running at the same time.
redcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2011, 18:39   #40
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

cobra, almost every charger has a voltage sensor. When it sees low voltage it provides a charge, when it sees higher voltage it cuts back the power/voltage thaqt it is providing. What it cuts back and how, depends on how smart it is. It may switch back and forth, or it may enter timed program stages.

Now what happens when you have two chargers of ANY kind? What are they sensing? Their own output? Or the output of the other charger? So which one do they base their output on, when they can't tell the two apart?

At best, one charger will shut off and provide no useful power. At worst...who knows how confused the charging profiles will get? Maybe it all works fine, maybe it doesn't. You can experiment on your own electrical system, with or without putting ammeters in to find out what's happening. But I can't see any reason to expect a good result from running both chargers--unless they are both "dumb" so their outputs can be combined without any questions. (And dumb chargers are exceedingly rare these days.)
Old 22-05-2011, 19:20   #41

Quote:
cobra, almost every charger has a voltage sensor. When it sees low voltage it provides a charge, when it sees higher voltage it cuts back the power/voltage thaqt it is providing. What it cuts back and how, depends on how smart it is. It may switch back and forth, or it may enter timed program stages.

Now what happens when you have two chargers of ANY kind? What are they sensing? Their own output? Or the output of the other charger? So which one do they base their output on, when they can't tell the two apart?

At best, one charger will shut off and provide no useful power. At worst...who knows how confused the charging profiles will get? Maybe it all works fine, maybe it doesn't. You can experiment on your own electrical system, with or without putting ammeters in to find out what's happening. But I can't see any reason to expect a good result from running both chargers--unless they are both "dumb" so their outputs can be combined without any questions. (And dumb chargers are exceedingly rare these days.)
Ok, then I should disconnect the shorepower before firing the engine. This is a change for me as I usually fire the engine and let it warm while I check the thu-hulls, etc. before casting off lines and shorepower cable.
Old 22-05-2011, 20:07   #42

Its hard to beat the iota chargers and the smart regular
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 07:24   #43
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

cobra, if your purpose is just warming up the engine, that will still work with the shorepower on. Assuming your engine has a conventional internal regulator (not external smart) it's just a waste of power form the shorepower charger, but should cause no harm.

Still...once the engine is lit, you should be able to disconnect the shore power and sequence them that way. No harm, no waste, and it has to be unplugged close to that point anyway.
Old 23-05-2011, 17:27   #44

Quote:
cobra, if your purpose is just warming up the engine, that will still work with the shorepower on. Assuming your engine has a conventional internal regulator (not external smart) it's just a waste of power form the shorepower charger, but should cause no harm.

Still...once the engine is lit, you should be able to disconnect the shore power and sequence them that way. No harm, no waste, and it has to be unplugged close to that point anyway.
I have the external Balmar 614 Multistage voltage regulator along with a Balmar Alternator.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:10   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
The AC output produces more power. You could attach a battery charger to the AC side of the generator.
For sure a better idea for battery charging, not sure really where the 12 vdc output would be used as it would probably boil electrolyte out of a battery by charging too fast.

Battery chargers (good ones) can also be set for charging regular lead acid or deep cycle batteries and will make your batteries last longer by properly regulating charg rates for each type. Usually have a low (normal) charge rate and a high rate for starting if batteries are really low. All kinds of good toys out there for us to buy. And they do a good job for us.

PS I got my new generac 2000 this week and will get to check it out next few days.

Tags
honda