Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2015, 07:27   #1

Boat: Hanse 348
Harbor Freight Butt End Waterproof connectors

Not sure if this should go in electrical or electronic forum....

Anyone use these? HF not known for high quality, but figuring it is a butt end connector, I am pretty sure they OEM it from someone, filled with glue.

Says waterproof, but no spec or nema rating. Great price, convenient to get, but if it is going to fail, not worth it.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 07:34   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Harbor Freight Butt End Waterproof connectors

They don't leave enough material to crimp. I often miss the right spot. They do shrink up just fine
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 07:52   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post

Anyone use these? HF not known for high quality, but figuring it is a butt end connector, I am pretty sure they OEM it from someone, filled with glue.

Says waterproof, but no spec or nema rating. Great price, convenient to get, but if it is going to fail, not worth it.
One of the biggest problems, and it's shared between the good and not-so-good crimp-connector brands, is that they don't all follow the same size specs. Brand X's yellow crimp-on has slightly different dimensions of the yellows from Brand Y, and that's a problem when you're using the better controlled-cycle crimpers. The best-made connecter will still fail if the crimper hasn't been set up for it.

As guy mentioned, a budget connector may have deficiencies in materials or manufacture, so cut a few open to inspect.

Best advice is to select ONE brand of quality crimp connector, and ensure your crimper has been set up for them. Buying in 100-lots will get you a better price than buying a handful in a blister pack.

MaineSail recommended a brand that was a good mix of quality and price, but hanged if I can recall it right now. But it's in CF somewhere...
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 08:44   #4

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

I've used them, they work fine.

Amazon is another good source if buying by the 100, just make sure they don't show you the wrong stuff.

I was looking for female connectors on Amazon and when I opened the box I was like WTF these are male, and somehow looking at dozens of female connectors they snuck a male in my search results and that's what I got.

I'm sure the anchor connectors are better, but I think the HF connectors are serviceable.
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 08:57   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post

MaineSail recommended a brand that was a good mix of quality and price, but hanged if I can recall it right now. But it's in CF somewhere...
It's on his website: Compass Marine How To Articles Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 07:46   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

I go to www.pacermarine.net for all my wiring and connectors. Their products are superior quality and prices are much less than Ancor products.

Buy cheap tools...buy them twice.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 08:24   #7

Boat: Tayana V42 - Passages

Quote:
Originally Posted by George DuBose View Post
I go to www.pacermarine.net for all my wiring and connectors. Their products are superior quality and prices are much less than Ancor products.
That should be Pacer Group - Marine Wire, Battery Cable and Electrical Parts

Also Genuine Deals Marine Wiring, Boat Cable and Electrical Genuinedealz.com
Old 13-12-2015, 09:30   #8

Everything from Harbor Freight fails!!!!!!
dhlamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 09:34   #9

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 13-12-2015, 09:38   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhlamar View Post
Yeah. I wouldn't get a tool I need for everyday work from them, bit I do have a bunch of stuff that I need once in a blue moon, figuring it is better to have it than not.

I have had ok experience with lots of their stuff, and complete fails with other.

That is why I asked about if anyone has real experience with these butt connectors before I use them.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 13-12-2015, 10:02   #11

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

If you are using them for marine applications never cut corners. They might work fine but is it worth taking the chance? There are things you won't be able to measure. Use tried and trued brands.
I buy lots of stuff from Harbor Freight but would never use their products on something I rely on.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 10:10   #12

I would go to a commercial electronics distributor, for this application I would not use Harbor Frights parking lot to turn around in, my favorite is MOUSER.COM, because they have no minimum order size and ship within hours of receiving the order. In their on-line and printed catalog they have several vendors from the mil-standard expensive to the China imports cheap.
PANDUIT is at the high-end. I use the AMP brand they are very good and are a major mfg of high-end crimpers.
BUT some of the high-end products are now mfg in China, but they are not the Harbor Freight specials.
oleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 10:40   #13

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhlamar View Post
Absolutely not. Some of their cheap tools I feel are far superior to name brands. I have been using their 4-1/2'' grinders on a daily basis for years. Some of the grinders last 2-3 years. The last Ryobi I bought had the switch go out in 8 months. You have to be selective, some of their tools are low quality. I have a 14'' metal cut-off saw that I have been using for about 5 years. Also a 8'' bench grinder. I buy a lot of stuff for my welding shop from Harbor Freight. If you want precision tools, look someone else. But they guarantee their stuff, usually with no questions asked. If you don't like it, just take it back.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 11:13   #14

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
Absolutely not. Some of their cheap tools I feel are far superior to name brands. I have been using their 4-1/2'' grinders on a daily basis for years. Some of the grinders last 2-3 years. The last Ryobi I bought had the switch go out in 8 months. You have to be selective, some of their tools are low quality. I have a 14'' metal cut-off saw that I have been using for about 5 years. Also a 8'' bench grinder. I buy a lot of stuff for my welding shop from Harbor Freight. If you want precision tools, look someone else. But they guarantee their stuff, usually with no questions asked. If you don't like it, just take it back.

I use those very same 4.5" grinders. I am currently restoring a 47' sailboat. Lots of grinding going on. I paid, I think, $30 for one that had daily use for 3 years before it failed. I bought another one from HF.

Having said that, I don't think I would buy the connectors. Consumables - ok. Permanent? I don't think so.
Old 13-12-2015, 11:47   #15

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post

I would only buy from HF for something I considered expendable. Certainly not something that cheap and having the potential of being a catastrophic failure at exactly the wrong time.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water