Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2011, 22:04   #1

Handheld SSB Transceivers

Anybody have any experience using a handheld SSB with an external antenna on board? Seems like a much less expensive way to go, and while of course much less powerful than a mounted unit, they seem to get pretty remarkable range, especially when paired with an external antenna. Any thoughts on these guys?

A number of them can be seen here: Handheld Transceiver
Rigamorand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 22:23   #2

Boat: C&C Landfall 38
Re: Handheld SSB Transceivers

I have an ICOM handheld HF radio, its max 10 watts, not so good for sending very far and very expensive for receiving. We use them for SW when paragliding as we can't use aviation band so we use HF bands, we are at 3-10,000 ft.
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 02:27   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigamorand View Post
Anybody have any experience using a handheld SSB with an external antenna on board? Seems like a much less expensive way to go, and while of course much less powerful than a mounted unit, they seem to get pretty remarkable range, especially when paired with an external antenna. Any thoughts on these guys?

A number of them can be seen here: Handheld Transceiver
Who do you intend to communicate with?
As a broad generalization, you aren't going to talking with many shore stations using a low power 25 to 30 MHz transceiver.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:44   #4

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

I'd consider skipping the handheld and installing the real deal, unless you don't really need to transmit. We travelled the Bahamas twice with a small SSB receiver ($100) and was able to get the weather reports and grib files and listen in on the cruising nets. We couldn't transmit, but that's no problem when travelling the more beaten path, unless you just must stay in constant contact with other far-flung boaters and shore stations.
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 04:22   #5

Boat: Allied Luders 33, Hull 98, 1971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname
Who do you intend to communicate with?
As a broad generalization, you aren't going to talking with many shore stations using a low power 25 to 30 MHz transceiver.
I hear QRP stations, <10 watts, at distances from 500-1000 miles on a daily basis. It's more about conditions and the antenna than it is power.

There are lots of 5 watt stations that work the world. I often dial my 7000 down to 10 watts unless I'm running a net in order to conserve my batteries. I believe it takes a 4x increase in power to double your signal.
nv5l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:42   #6

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

Those QRP stations generally have a way better antenna setup than my backstay.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:49   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

I have worked over 1500 miles at 12 watts on 20 meters SSB into a short vertical mounted on my balcony railing. The guy had quite a pileup and I could hardly believe it when he came back to me. Conditions and antenna, and sometimes conditions trump antenna.

I wouldn't count on being able to do that consistently though.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 17:10   #8

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

if there is one thing I want out of an ssb used for emergency situations its consistency.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 18:28   #9

Boat: too many

I've also run QRP, and if you're using a resonant antenna system, not your back stay, results are pretty good. I also agree with sck5, so I combine a resonant, trapped, inverted vee dipole with the hundred watt drive of my transceiver feeding a 2000 W solid-state amplifier just in case. On most all occasions, my maritime mobile signal is considerably stronger than most all base stations.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ssb