Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2017, 18:35   #106

Boat: S2.....7.9/26'
Re: Golf cart batteries

Xantrex/Schneider are pretty hallowed names in the professional solar world. Probably a step below Outback.
softdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2017, 19:09   #107

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by softdown View Post
Wondering if you checked SG using water that you had recently poured in.

Low water level shouldn't hurt the battery until plates become exposed for a significant period of time.

I am a "doctor of low water levels". Every time I work with levels, I ruin my clothes.

Love my water miser caps...I have several macgivored solar banks around here. The first 48 volt system I did somewhat meticulously. After that, I started playing around. There are about four tons of various batteries around here. I like to experiment...Plus I built an 8000 foot shop. Tendency to get carried away at times...

CARRIED AWAY???? 8000 SF SHOP???? No way! You just have a hobby and maybe an understanding other.

OK, I really don't know why they went belly up. I have a thought in my mind but I keep telling myself, no way.

I installed a new solar controller not more than two weeks ago. Its a Victron 150/70 and that was all I did........install it that is. I have both the remote monitor MVP700 which sucks as far as setting up the controller. I also have the usb to controller adapter/cable......but I misplaced it. It is very possible that the batteries got over charged but I just don't want to tell self that but it could be the reason. OH and my shorts have a nice decorative hole over one of my front pockets that ruined this pair. Wifey had been on my case earlier to get rid of them but how could I part with a favorite?

Anyway, I ordered another usb adapter cable tonight from a local seller on Ebay and those new batteries are not going to see solar until I can get into the my controller's guts and make sure it is properly set up. And sure enough, right after the new cable/adapter arrives, the original will pop up from someplace.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2017, 19:13   #108

Boat: Catalina 36 / Morgan 33 OI

Sometimes on Craigslist you can find a local dealer nearby that will sell good brand name and fresh batteries for less than at the grocery store and still full warranty from manufacturer. Look under golf cart parts.
Still have to go pick them up either place you buy them from and leave the old ones for the core value.
slowpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2017, 19:22   #109

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoker View Post
Sometimes on Craigslist you can find a local dealer nearby that will sell good brand name and fresh batteries for less than at the grocery store and still full warranty from manufacturer. Look under golf cart parts.
Still have to go pick them up either place you buy them from and leave the old ones for the core value.

GEEZ, never thought of that. How about this from Boston Craigs:

"Trojan Golf Cart Battery Prices. All Batteries are new and date coded. All batteries come with a 2yr. warranty. All prices are with core exchange and do not include sales tax. Free delivery and installation in Eastern Ma. & Cape Cod through April 30th. 6volt T-105's- $840.00---set of (6)... T-875's- $900.00--set of (6)...12volt- T-1275's $840.00--set of (4)..
Trojan is the #1 Battery in the industry."
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 05:29   #110

Boat: S2.....7.9/26'

I have seen very aggressive solar battery prices as winter approaches and solar dealers seek to sell off this years battery inventory. With pretty extensive experience, I don't believe being stored hurts a battery too much as long as the voltage remains over 12.5/6.25.
Just bought back an unused eight year old marine battery that was down to 2 volts....pretty incredible. The other two drained batteries were not salvageable. One was at 5 volts, the other at 1 volt. Both suffered a bad cell. One bad cell is the death of a lot of batteries.
Storing batteries in a cool environ helps a lot. I am replacing my current batteries in the sunroom with batteries in an unheated room. It will lower their daily output and increase their lifespan significantly. With 1400 pounds of solar batteries, I'll still be fine during the cold winter months.
softdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 22:41   #111

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

Since heat is bad for batteries; is anyone using a fan to blow air to the battery bank? Good or bad idea? Could/would a computer fan ignite the battery gases?
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 23:04   #112

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikFinn View Post
Since heat is bad for batteries; is anyone using a fan to blow air to the battery bank? Good or bad idea? Could/would a computer fan ignite the battery gases?
1: I don't. I don't know anybody who does.
2: Could be a good idea but seldom really necessary.
3: Doubtful. You would have to accumulate a fair amount of hydrogen, and it is lighter than air so it floats up up and away pretty easily. There are explosive environment rated blowers, though.
Old 27-06-2017, 23:28   #113

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

Wet use a vent fan to remove gases when batteries are being bulk charged in our residential solar installations. They are made for the purpose, don't use anything else.
The gas production is only as issue during charging, we have a programmable contact that turns on the fan above 54v.
The charge controller should have a temp sensor so it does not overheat the batteries.
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote