Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2010, 13:22   #1
VVD

Boat: Caliber47LRC - MAKAI
Genset Problem with Water Overflow ......

I have a Northern Light 15Kw Genset and the water overflow is working hard (small green tube spews out water). Why? I checked my water intake and siphon... All good. Impeller works fine. Anybody there that can help me? Thank you in advance. Vincent svMAKAI
VVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 13:26   #2

Boat: seawind II Patience
Is thisn raw & fresh water cooled?My main engine is & doing the same thing.Changing heat exchanger.marc
marc2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 13:39   #3
VVD

OK, we will have a look at the heat exchanger. Any idea what would be an indication of not working, overheating? I do not think I have an alarm for that on my Genset. Thanks
Old 16-07-2010, 13:52   #4

Mine only over heated once long time ago,rough intake sucked air.Had a small leak for long time,finally could remove cap & water kept comming out.Hope yours easier than mine,F#$@$%g westerbeke,have to remove manifold to replace.Waiting on $60 something gsket.If easly removed pressure test raw water side.marc
Old 17-07-2010, 08:56   #5

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
It sounds like you have raw water getting into the fresh water, Probably a gasket in the heat exchanger gone , hopefully not a cracked tube. Your overflow is only part of the fresh water expansion system. If the expansion tank overfills it means you are adding water from an external source (raw water intake system) The most common point where those two systems are in close proxiemety is the heat exchangers. You might have one or two of these on the engine depending on the type of engine. Good luck. Pressure test the heat exchanger.
Old 17-07-2010, 18:51   #6

If the unit is not overheating , just getting rid of excess water , it is a heat exchanger.
Old 20-07-2010, 13:28   #7
VVD

Thank you all for your posts. I have not fixed it yet but will let you know. I just drained the coolant and put new in, put in a new impeller. I will now check the cap on the tank for cracks and O-ring. If that is all OK I suspect the answer lies in the heat exchanger casket. Is that easy to replace?
Old 20-07-2010, 13:42   #8

What kind of motor is on unit?Look where fresh water leaves fresh water pump,should go straght to hx.UsUally easy I have I have a f&^%$#g westerbeke where the manifol also has to come off.marc
Old 20-07-2010, 13:45   #9

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
I agree. Fresh water is getting into the coolant water - probably through the heat exchanger.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2010, 04:28   #10
VVD

OK the heat exchanger is out and I am waiting for the part. It looked like one of the tubes might have been cracked i.e. the reason for the overflow. I also saw some good carbon build up in the exhaust elbow and will replace that one too. Thank you for your help. On to the next solution.