Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2013, 13:55   #61

I mounted four flexible panels to the bimini on my Edel 35 catamaran. I used the floppy tab type fasteners used for securing canvas work to decks or coamings. Easily removed for storms or storage. Never had an issue with them. They were not as efficient as the crystalline type panels when you measure efficiency as output per square inch but they were almost 4 times more efficient if you measured output per pound. The windage was also much less than having big aluminum framed panels up there. I used the biggest panels available at the time ... I think they were about 48 x 16 or something. I probably had room fof 4 more on that bimini.
Capt RonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 15:52   #62

Re: Flexible Solar Panel mounted directly on Sunbrella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Here's my 2 x 100 watt Shine Solar flexpanels mounted on the Bimini. They are putting out about 50% of spec. That's about the same as my hard panels with the Sun as low as it is here (37*N). They are held down with lashings to sewn on loops in the corners and short velcro on the forward edge. We'll see next week how they hold up offshore.
Paul,
Thanks for the report. I have already ordered 2 x 100 watt panels, and my order is being processed for delivery to Australia. I will give a report when I have them installed.

What controller are you using?

Lee
banjoship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 18:07   #63

[QUOTE/ When I had the zippers for my panel sewed onto the bimini, the guy doing the work suggested putting a sacrificial strip of cloth along the edges to protect the sunbrella from the panel edge. It's not particularly sharp, but he thought it could wear over time. Given the price of replacing the canvas, I thought it was very cheap insurance.[/QUOTE]

I added the sacrificial cloth strip and also put a small rubber strip over the edges of the panel.
Singleprop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 18:39   #64

Boat: C&C 38 Landfall (1983 vintage)
I get my 100-watt Solbian fastened to my bimini next week. We are sewing on a pice of matching canvas and then using six of those rotating fasteners that are commonly used on canvas--I forget their name. We are using a sacrificial corner reinforcement made from fake leather. I didn't want to use Velcro because it clearly won't last as long as the solar panel--of course, the bimini won't either I guess.
DainyRays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 05:02   #65

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjoship View Post
Paul,
Thanks for the report. I have already ordered 2 x 100 watt panels, and my order is being processed for delivery to Australia. I will give a report when I have them installed.

What controller are you using?

Lee
Lee
I have 2 Bluesky 2512 controllers networked together with an IPN display remote. One controller is for the 2 100watt flex panels , the other is for the 2 158 watt hard panels.
Old 27-11-2013, 15:25   #66

Boat: Hanse 385

Hello all,

I'm very interested in getting some Flexible panels. Just wondering if those who bought the lower priced ones and got them shipped are happy with their purchase? Any feedback would be amazing.

Regards,
Simon
simonpickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2013, 20:03   #67

Here is my set-up on my dinghy, the edges of the flexible panel has a glued on rubber strip to protect the Sunbrella.
So far it works fine. There is a small controller between the panel and the battery - just for protection. I'm sure that the larger ones works well too - they are probably 3-5% less effective (I'm guessing) but that's ok for me, just buy one that is slightly larger to compensate....
The corner rings rusted almost immediately, once exposed to the weather, so I would give them some kind of coating before installation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1361.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	405.0 KB
ID:	71164  
Singleprop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2013, 03:59   #68

I have 2 100watts that are now about 6 weeks old. They made a nice addition to my 2 158watt hard panels. I'd order the panels without the grommets, and put in your own. Mine came with very small ones and they rusted too. Really won't know if they were a good purchase till they last 2 years. Then the payback over the 2x/4x priced Italian panels would be clear.
The panels have gone through one offshore storm and they just laid on the Bimini nice quietly, without drama.

Old 29-12-2013, 10:45   #69

I have mounted 4x50w panels directly to my sunbrella. I used a special snap that makes a great connection to the sunbrella.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1388342723.363025.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	72918Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1388342747.931559.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	72919
jseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2013, 11:51   #70

Jseas,
Nice mount job. I drilled holes in the plastic on each side of the electrical connector. Then ran wire ties around the cables to strengthen the mounting of the junction, as they don't seem very strong.
Old 29-12-2013, 11:59   #71

I agree the wire mounts do not look strong enough. I'll probably do the same thing. I've also made a piece of sunbrella to cover the junction and wires. I have a feeling the junction will not hold up to uv.

FYI, I got these panels off ebay for $129 ea.
Old 29-12-2013, 12:09   #72

I also put a layer of neoprene to the back. Makes it nice and soft and it floats! Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1388347770.446316.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	72921
Old 30-12-2013, 04:37   #73

Floats -- that'll be handy when they blow off the bimini in a gail
Old 30-12-2013, 06:16   #74

There's a better chance that I will not be totally sober and drop them in the water as I remove them before the gale hits.
Old 09-02-2014, 17:21   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by DainyRays View Post
I just bought and installed a 100-watt Solbian panel and I didn't see any "made in China" labels which would be required if they were. I will be getting another 100-watt Solbian panel for my Bimini installation at the end of this month.
Just did the same

Tags
paracelle, solar