Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2017, 08:52   #46
Zil

Re: Duracell Deep Cycle Group 31 Lead-Acid - 105 AH

My Duracell EGC2 batteries have more liquid above the plates than all but the cheapest 12 volt batteries I have examined. Cheap ones use less lead, so have more room for liquid.
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 10:43   #47
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
If electrolyte is "much higher", that's operator error, not some design parameter distinct to 12 v batteries.

Assuming battery fluid level is as designed, the geometry speaks for itself. As does the free surface flooding potential to dry larger battery plates. The science isn't a matter of opinion.
In general, the depth of the electrolyte reservoir above the plates is much deeper in a 12 Vdc battery than in a 6 Vdc battery when both are filled in accordance with manufacturers instructions.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 08:56   #48

Boat: Hans Christian 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
Charging requirements aren't by battery capacity, but by use. Use 100 amp hours from a small bank, or use the same from a large bank. It is still 100 amp hours. The interconnections are the most important in building a bank. Use 2/0 for battery to battery. Then size wiring by the length and amps for the panel feed. Use a voltage drop table.
Thanks for the input. I'll use 2/0 for my battery interconnects and per Blue Sea's chart I'll run 2 AWG (for full panel capacity) as my feed.
My next question: Can I run that 2 AWG from the batteries to the isolator switch and then 2 AWG to the panel? Currently there is 2/0 from the battery to the switch and then an undersized 8 AWG to the panel.
And - should I run that same sized (2 AWG) from battery negative back to the engine block/common ground? Or do I need a hefty 2/0 for that return?
RobMinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 09:06   #49

Boat: Hans Christian 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Keep in mind that the 4 GC batteries are also an emergency start bank. I would not use wire any smaller than the start battery has for inter-connects and run to the switch. When I wire such a system that is either 1/0 or most often 2/0 cabling. All battery cables should be the same gauge.

From the switch to the panel for house loads I would use a chart such as Blue Seas has on their site for a voltage drop of less than 3%, figuring the panel is at max. This depends on the loads but for say 50 amps I would use 4 awg minimum.
So If I use 1/0 or 2/0 cable for inter-connects on my house bank, should I use the same gauge to the isolation switch? And then also from the negative of the bank returning to the engine block/common ground?

From the isolation switch I'll run 2 AWG as a feeder to the panel and then 2 AWG from the DC neg bus back to engine block/common ground. Does this sound accurate?
RobMinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 09:22   #50

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
The OP discussed buying 4 Grp-31s, which is not the same as having space for 4 GC2s. GC2s are a different form than Grp-31s and 4 of them may or may not fit in the space available.

FWIW, 4x GC2s will fit in the same horizontal dimension that 4x G31s use. GC2s are slightly taller, so may not fit within the same vertical dimension.

Not sure germane, here...

-Chris
Old 02-08-2017, 20:36   #51
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMinton View Post
So If I use 1/0 or 2/0 cable for inter-connects on my house bank, should I use the same gauge to the isolation switch? And then also from the negative of the bank returning to the engine block/common ground?

From the isolation switch I'll run 2 AWG as a feeder to the panel and then 2 AWG from the DC neg bus back to engine block/common ground. Does this sound accurate?
If you are using 1/0 or 2/0 for battery inter-connects keep the wiring the same size to the switch, from the switch to the starter, and for the negative to the engine. The feed to the panel - both positive and negative - can be 2 gauge or whatever gauge you decide on.

Just today I wired a simple 2 battery system for a 16 hp diesel with 1/0. It was a small simple boat and for the main panel, which only powers a stereo and lights I used 8 awg, but the run from switch to panel was only 10".
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
race