Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2011, 12:50   #1
CLOD

Boat: none
Deka batteries

Any experience on Deka batteries? Specifically the 6V wet cell GC15 that is sized/rated the same as Torjan T105 and US battery XC2200.

Locally the deka's are just less trouble for me to go pick up etc.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2011, 13:03   #2

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Re: Deka batteries

Have a deka gold deep cycle as a back up its 4 years ld and still going strong!
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2011, 16:51   #3

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

I hear good things about both Deka and East Penn brands, which under other names supply many of the "store" brands in North America.

I am of the opinion that AGMs are great, if you need them, have to lie your batteries down, or if you need to hold charge on a mooring for weeks on end. I have an AGM on my tender for that purpose. The new lithium batteries look great, but command a ridiculous price premium.

So I stick with what I know, because having twice the capacity is cheaper than AGMs. The only lead-acid battery I've personally used that has an unbelievable capacity for abuse and an obvious advantage in longevity are Trojans. But if you are a casual boater on shore power, I wouldn't bother...just get something a trucker would use.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2011, 17:08   #4

I've had very good life and performance out of the West Marine 6V 225Ah batteries. Don't know who makes them for West.
redcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2011, 17:23   #5

FWIW

DEKA has been my supplier of batteries for close to 40 years. Out of plus or minus 300 per year we might have one adjustment. They just plain work.

Mark Twain
knotnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2011, 19:19   #6

Boat: Island Packet 37 - Finistere
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcobra
I've had very good life and performance out of the West Marine 6V 225Ah batteries. Don't know who makes them for West.
Deka supplies WM

I have 4 Deka Group 31 AGMs for the house, according to my Link 10 monitor I still have 90% of the original capacity after 10 years of use, could not be happier.
Finistere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2011, 23:48   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

I got 10 years out of a set of 4 Deka GC batteries. They were finally killed by a True Charge charger that went bad.

Recommended.

--Ethan
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2011, 03:43   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcobra View Post

WM batts are Deka/East Penn and you can buy the SAME battery WM sells at NAPA for roughly half the price..

DEKA are good batteries but I do personally like the US Battery product slightly better even though I don't currently have a distributor here in Maine. Salem or Merrimack, NH to Quincy, once every six+ years is not that big of a deal for batts...

NAPA may also be able to get you Deka's 6V. I know the ONLY difference between the 12V WM Dual Purpose and Deep Cycles and the NAPA Dual Purpose and Deep Cycle is the sticker...

You really can't go wrong with either one..

Tags
battery