Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2011, 17:41   #1
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Cylindrical Solar Panels

I have still to commit to a solar system for Stargazer, hoping that improvements might soon come up for a marine application.

I found this cylindrical type solar panel that seems to have a lot of advantages in windage and cooling, but I don’t know all the pros and cons

Solyndra - the finest solar system in the world

Has anyone studied these for a marine application?
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2011, 18:12   #2

Location: On the Gorge waterway in the heart of Victoria, British Columbia.
Boat: Explorer 44 by Stan Huntingford. Building in progress.
Re: Cylindrical Solar Panels

A novel application. I first thought it was for a hot-water application but it is definitely a photo-voltaic panel.

I would like to see some real data to back-up their claims. I woulds suspect that this design would have problems when used on a boat. Breakage; cleaning salt and bird do-do from around the tubes and reflector. How the hermetic seal holds up to pounding waves.

My understanding of solar PV is that it is the direct incidence of the short-wave portion of the solar that provides the most energy. Diffuse short wave solar (deflected from atmospheric gas) is a much lesser portion of the enery budget. Reflected short-wave from the reflector would be getting into the long-wave spectrum that only generates heat (short wave turns to long wave after it strikes an object). This design would not get as much direct solar, as compared to a flat panel, if that is the case. I am no expert but that is my view. I would like to see some side-by-side data comparisons to verify their claims.

BB
Bruce Bevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 22:03   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: i dont have a boat but looking

i am a solar contractor in FL and have installed a few systems utilizing the Solyndra PV modules. They are great here because it is not required to attach them to the roof because of the low wind load. They are great in my eyes and my customers, however they are on the pricy side, the company is very strict upon how the modules are directed to the sun to get the initial rating of the modules. i would not use them on a boat unless you have a rotating mounting bracket that you could spin to put the module in the best location.

For a marine system i would stick to a regular crystalline module. If you need help finding products for a good deal, let me know.
kruton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 22:48   #4

Boat: Islander Freeport 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruton View Post
i am a solar contractor in FL and have installed a few systems utilizing the Solyndra PV modules. They are great here because it is not required to attach them to the roof because of the low wind load. They are great in my eyes and my customers, however they are on the pricy side, the company is very strict upon how the modules are directed to the sun to get the initial rating of the modules. i would not use them on a boat unless you have a rotating mounting bracket that you could spin to put the module in the best location.

For a marine system i would stick to a regular crystalline module. If you need help finding products for a good deal, let me know.
Like Monocrystalline solar panels or are they to fragile for boats?
JiffyLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 15:14   #5
Marine Service Provider

go with a thin film amorphous silicon marine solar panel if you dont have the luxury, then do what i would do - mono or poly-crystalline silicon module mounted on fluctuating rack so it has the ability to flex without shattering the glass. I have not heard of this happening but it is very possible.
Old 25-04-2011, 11:08   #6

Boat: Islander Freeport 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruton View Post
go with a thin film amorphous silicon marine solar panel if you dont have the luxury, then do what i would do - mono or poly-crystalline silicon module mounted on fluctuating rack so it has the ability to flex without shattering the glass. I have not heard of this happening but it is very possible.
We know that many people fix mount their panels over head on Bimini SS frames, and I assume they bolt them directly to the frame. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to put rubber grommets at the frame attachment points, to help take some of the stiffness out of direct attachment. What do you think?
JiffyLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2011, 19:03   #7
Marine Service Provider

Yes, i would highly recommend mounting any PV module that has a glass protective cover with rubber grommets or bushings on all boats. Remember that most pv module frames are made of aluminum so dont forget to apply the de-ox coating to the mounting brackets and bolts and frame to prevent oxidation from dissimilar metals.
Old 26-04-2011, 09:06   #8

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Those cylindrical panels look interesting, but on the website they mention they are recommended for low wind loading areas.

Kinda rules out a sailboat, doesn't it?

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar