Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2016, 19:12   #16

Boat: 1995 Catalina 36 MkII
Re: 'Cruising Equipment' Quad-Cycle Regulator

I realize that this thread has some age on it but I have a question about the Quad-cycle unit that has come with a boat I purchased about a year ago. It seems to be working fine at this point but here is my question. To this point I have only had one 12v cranking battery but I am about to add a house bank. I would like to add for my house bank two 6v golf cart batteries in series connection. My concern is that the Quad-cycle wiring diagram as well as the front panel of the unit seem to indicate battery two (house) as being one 12v battery. In the case of two 6v GC batteries in series should this be a problem or will the QC unit simply read the two batteries as one and accurately calculate voltage? I can find nothing about multiple batteries on a house bank in the QC manual which I have read thanks to the google docs file link listed above. If indeed two 6v GC batteries setup is problematic for the QC I would like to ask if there is such a thing and would it be preferred to go with a 12v golf cart deep cycle battery for my house bank? Thanks in advance...
rbyham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 19:26   #17

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

The Quad Cycle will not have any problem at all with the two 6 volters in series... in reality, that is exactly what a twelve volt battery is... 6 cells in one case instead of 3 each cells in two cases.

No worries, mate!

Jim
Old 09-05-2016, 09:15   #18

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbyham View Post
I realize that this thread has some age on it but I have a question about the Quad-cycle unit that has come with a boat I purchased about a year ago. It seems to be working fine at this point but here is my question. To this point I have only had one 12v cranking battery but I am about to add a house bank. I would like to add for my house bank two 6v golf cart batteries in series connection. My concern is that the Quad-cycle wiring diagram as well as the front panel of the unit seem to indicate battery two (house) as being one 12v battery. In the case of two 6v GC batteries in series should this be a problem or will the QC unit simply read the two batteries as one and accurately calculate voltage? I can find nothing about multiple batteries on a house bank in the QC manual which I have read thanks to the google docs file link listed above. If indeed two 6v GC batteries setup is problematic for the QC I would like to ask if there is such a thing and would it be preferred to go with a 12v golf cart deep cycle battery for my house bank? Thanks in advance...
Provided your 2 6v batteries are correctly wired in series (easy) and you put the sensors at the correct locations (same as for 1 12v battery) and you set your Quad Cycle for the 6v's as 12v you should be good to go. The amp hours will be the Ah's listed for each 6v (Ah at 6v = Ah at 12v for two 6v in series), i.e. don't double the Ah's. Please note, it has been so long since I worked on a Quad Cycle that I don't remember if this is even a required entry. It is on other regulators.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 11:26   #19

I'd like a copy of the manual for the Quad Cycle Regulator. Specifically I'm looking for the wiring diagram for the block terminal. Many thanks, my email is kempharr@gmail.com
kempharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 23:58   #20

I have just uploaded the Installation Manuals for the Quad Cycle and also the Amp-Hour Meter into the library. At present they are in the moderation queue, but I expect they will soon be accessible. The former is 14 pages and 15Mb, the latter is 8 pages and 6.6Mb.

I'll attempt to add a pdf of the block diagram here now.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Quad Cycle Installation Manual extract.pdf (777.6 KB, 102 views)
Old 28-02-2019, 02:12   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, kempharr.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2019, 02:56   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrissey View Post
I have just uploaded the Installation Manuals for the Quad Cycle and also the Amp-Hour Meter into the library. At present they are in the moderation queue, but I expect they will soon be accessible. The former is 14 pages and 15Mb, the latter is 8 pages and 6.6Mb.

I'll attempt to add a pdf of the block diagram here now.
Thank you. Just what i needed
kempharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2020, 17:17   #23

Boat: currently boatless
Thumbs up Re: 'Cruising Equipment' Quad-Cycle Regulator

Morrissey.
Have been looking for years for Quad Cycle...
Just downloaded it.
Thanks
Rod
Old 14-11-2020, 08:24   #24

Boat: 1975 Fairliner F32

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanhoney View Post
I've got copies of the manuals for the Quad Cycle Monitor/Regulator and the Cruising Equipment Amp Hour meter, dated 1990 and 1989 respectively. Let me know if anybody needs a copy. Did anybody ever find a copy of the schematics for service? I like the way the Regulator could switch to float based on when the measured charge current dropped below a threshold.

Stan
Hi Stan,
I realize that this is an old post of yours but was wondering if you still had the Quad-Cycle documentation? I’ve been looking for this for some time with no luck. Would greatly appreciate a copy.
Kind regards,
Doug
dougsmithbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 08:18   #25

Boat: Deadrise 48

Hi Doug, I just saw your message. I do have the Cruising Equipment documentation but they are on my boat in Maine. I can send you scans of them when I get there in spring 2021.
Cheers, Stan
stanhoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2021, 14:57   #26

I have a Quad Cycle Regulator Terminal on my CD36. It was manufactured by Cruising Equipment Company in Seattle. Unfortunately that company is no longer in business. My voltmeter on the panel is not working. I am wondering if there is a retrofit that could be installed or whether a new installation with another brand is needed. If I need a replacement for the 1988 unit I have, what would work? Any thoughts would be most appreciated. Thank you!
Dr_ELW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 14:52   #27

Boat: 1975 Fairliner F32

Sorry don't know much about these units so can't help with the questions. I'm going to be selling mine as I was gifted a newer Xantrex. Let me know if you're interested. I'll be putting it on ebay for $100 but will sell it here for $75 plus shipping.
Kind regards,
Doug
dougsmithbc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
regulator