Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2015, 13:08   #1

Boat: Hunter 40
Contemporary Shore Power Configuration/Considerations

Good Day!

My wife and I are in the process of refitting a vintage 40’ sailboat. The boat is being refit as a comfortable, coastal cruiser. To boat’s Endstate electrical configuration will require, at minimum, 50A service. Our primary AO will be the coastal waters adjacent the Eastern and Gulf Coast of the United States.

During the refit, I would like to maximize the boat’s compatibility with the shore power offerings that we are likely to encounter within these areas. I have been contemplating refitting with two, 125V/30A inlets. However, inasmuch as I have been away from boating and marinas for approximately four decades, I am seeking input from knowledgeable people with more contemporary experience. Ergo, my questions:

1) What are the “most common” shore power configurations (service) available at modern marinas, located along the East and Gulf Coast of the United States? 30A @ 125V? 50A @ 125V? 50A @ 125/250V? 100A @ 250V?

2) Do most marinas within these areas offer multiple service connections per transient slip (i.e. two, 125V/30A; or two 125V/50A)?

3) When it comes to infrastructure and integral systems design, I am a fan of redundancy; however, from the perspectives of: a) availability within the AO; and, b) quality/stability of service, does the 125V/250V 50A offer advantages?

Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to reviewing the input.

Rick
DivinaVitae is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shore power