Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2012, 21:20   #1

Battery bank wireing concept

I was just reading something that I found interesting. I was a little shocked but upon reflection seems to make sense. I will post the link to the electronics web site for you check and read (as I don't have permission to post here). I don't have any affiliation with this site but I have worked with batteries for many years and found this surprising. Interconnecting Batteries for Battery Bank - Storage
justlearnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2012, 21:26   #2

Re: Battery bank wireing concept

Well son of a friggin gun, that looks pretty smart. Summary for anyone too lazy to click the link:

In a "normal" battery wireup the battery that is the least amount of cabling away from the load does the most work, so you chew through your batteries unevenly.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2012, 21:33   #3

For something even more in depth....

SmartGauge Electronics - Interconnecting multiple batteries to form one larger bank
Old 16-07-2012, 23:10   #4
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlearnin View Post
I was just reading something that I found interesting. I was a little shocked but upon reflection seems to make sense. I will post the link to the electronics web site for you check and read (as I don't have permission to post here). I don't have any affiliation with this site but I have worked with batteries for many years and found this surprising. Interconnecting Batteries for Battery Bank - Storage
It's a funny thing.

just like most people in the know think that power comes from the positive plate.

When in reality power flows from neg. to pos.

Just like lightning.

Gee, I wonder if it is some how connected?

Lloyd
FlyingCloud1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2012, 20:30   #5

Boat: Bristol 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingCloud1937

It's a funny thing.

just like most people in the know think that power comes from the positive plate.

When in reality power flows from neg. to pos.

Just like lightning.

Gee, I wonder if it is some how connected?

Lloyd
Like what I was taught back in the mid-60's but then there was a new way of thinking and people started talking about hole flow vs. electron flow. I never bothered and always continued troubleshooting with current flow from pos to neg. Always served me well.

Don
dandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2012, 21:04   #6

Boat: Bristol 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandrews

Like what I was taught back in the mid-60's but then there was a new way of thinking and people started talking about hole flow vs. electron flow. I never bothered and always continued troubleshooting with current flow from pos to neg. Always served me well.

Don
Dang... Wrote that the wrong way.. Flow from neg to pos is how I should have said that. Must be getting old.
dandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2012, 20:47   #7

Yeah. Maybe. Batteries have considerable internal resistance vs. the usual short cabling. That resistance tends to cause load sharing.

Power does not really "flow" in a direction in a conductor. And which way the electrons (holes?) actually move is usually unimportant to anyone but physicists. But is usual to consider the current as flowing from positive to negative.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2012, 05:45   #8
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: Philip Rhodes Custom

The wiring idea will not be any measurable improvement over connecting the main leads to the nearest convenient mechanical point. While battery voltages (and current) may be marginally different during cranking loads, as soon as the load is removed the batteries are equalized by battery to battery current in less than a second so the total conribution from each battery averages out in proportion to their capacity.

If you wanted to pick the "best" point to connect it would be midway along each parallel chain so the current on average passes through 1/2 the number of battery jumpers and connections.
Andina Marie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, concept