Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2008, 23:04   #1

Boat: Leopard 47
Any I&C Engineers Out There?

As I look at the systems and equipment being applied to the problems of a modern sailing vessel there are a lot of parallels with the problems control integrators face everyday. Actuators, data integration, off-the-shelf touch-screen monitors, prime movers, battery management and control software solutions are clay we mold into custom solutions every day. At a lot lower pricepoint in many cases. And they have long been available in NEMA4x enclosures (corrosion proof/wash down). And structured wiring - don't get me started.

Are there any electric utility or process control engineers out there who are applying their talents on their boat? Please speak up and let us know what you've done.

As better ways are developed to produce and store power let's talk about how to put it to use. For instance: a hundred dollar IR webcam on the mast head is one thing I think I'd want displayed in my stateroom if I heard a bump-in-the-night.
rmarsh3309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2008, 00:26   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Quote:
As better ways are developed to produce and store power let's talk about how to put it to use.
So you haven't read many of the posts here yet?? :-)There is enough info buried in the site to sink a ship.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 03:47   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
I think integrated, neworked electronics is just the eveloution we are seeing. Almost all the sailing magazines are talking networks.

It's a matter of time before more stuff besides weather & nav are on one net.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 04:18   #4

Boat: R&C, Leopard Catermaran, 47', Rapture
I have done a few little conveniences.

I have a Raymarine E120 with a all-in-one touchscreen computer as the back-up at the nav station. Connected the monitor out on the computer to the TV in my stateroom so I can see everything there. I use it primarily for anchor watch so i do not have to get out of bed -- laziness is the mother of invention. I also have a wireless keyboard/mouse combo so i can look at other screens in my stateroom if I want, like if someone else is at the helm and i want to check on the course.

I have a camera attached to the E120 and use it underwater to look at the dive site before we go down to see visibility and to see if i should bring my speargun!! this camera not permantly mounted overboard so it is availble for night viewing from my stateroom as well as you suggested which is nice.

I have a Bauer dive compressor mounted in the aft compartment on the boat that pops the overpressure when a tank is full, but keeps running -- that is how it was designed. It takes about 30 minutes for the fill so I programmed a microcontroller so after 30 minutes of power to the compressor, the controller shuts power off so i don't have to worry about for getting about it and have it keep running blowing off air.
shawnbush12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 07:48   #5

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore '38 - "God Willing"
Um, well I've got 6 commercial 2v 1200ah (12v system 7200ah total storage) batteries and and salt water diesel with 6,000w. Too much power and fuel consumption to say the least for the boat I own. Likely it wont' be installed, and will be sold to a larger boat. All I'm in need of is 4 6v Trojan 105s, and a larger alternator for my Vetus. Overpowering the boat is something I hesitate to invest any more time with. The large batteries and generator came my way via a commercial plant (backup storage) surplus auction and an insurance auction. Thus, all told that kind of storage and generation was next to nothing in price, but when it comes to double thinking the whole situation, I'm likely going to find a buyer for the equipment and downsize to something alot more modest. I paid like a thousand bucks for 15 thousand dollars worth of gear. I mean I don't need a commercial washer and dryer on board, or massive ammounts of 115v. I don't have 10 passengers onboard drying their hair and demanding hot water. So. Anywho, my bag is to keep it small, also no remote IR systems or complicated networking, just a redesign of a traditional 12 or 24v DC boat.
usa-068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 03:46   #6

Boat: Schioning 12.3 "Wilderness" Bi-Rig under construction
Send a message via Skype™ to Whimsical
usa 68
6X 2v batteries gives you 12v @1200ah not 7200ah

Mike
Whimsical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 03:56   #7

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
I rather fancy a rotating camera at the masthead to add extra miles to the watch range day or night. Needs one of those steadicam things maybe but useful in a shipping channel.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:06   #8

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore '38 - "God Willing"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whimsical View Post
usa 68
6X 2v batteries gives you 12v @1200ah not 7200ah

Mike

Mike,

This is the battery I have. All told 80 of these came out of a nuke plant in Jersey. I believe that you're right. 6 batteries at 2v at 1200ah apiece is 12v 1200ah as well. Duh. To install them in my bilge will require cutting steel, and welding in frames. Likely not going to happen.

Classic*NCN-17*data sheet
usa-068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:07   #9

Boat: Leopard 47
Shawn, what sort of microcontroller did you use to control the Bauer? Did you have to use a heavy duty relay or just tap into the circuit?
rmarsh3309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:43   #10

Boat: R&C, Leopard Catermaran, 47', Rapture
I used a SGS6220 micro just because I have one on an IO board we make, did not need all the pins naturally, only 1 output for the relay.

I use the output of the micro to relay - you got it. Was going to put a pressure transducer on the air line and shut it off when it reached 3200 psi but was leaving for keys two days after the BAUER arrived and needed a quicker solution. I will do it later when I get around to it, also use this controller for the condensate dump valve that I added that you are to open manually every 10 minutes while filling the SCUBA tank.

BAUER offers these features on the Yacht package for several thousand dollars more - I think they beef up the housing and other minor items also. Think it cost me about $40...most of it being the relay since I don't make it.
shawnbush12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2008, 08:29   #11

Boat: FP Tobago 35
I&C is also my line of work. I'm designing a boat from the ground up (a sailing cat 49')

All electrics on board will be CAN-bus based.

Charger
Inverter
Power distribution
Engine controls
Instruments

WiFi and Ethernet to cabins. Looking at using a small PLC to control watermaker, DAQ to monitor cooling systems, fridge/freezer and solar panel systems as well as energy monitoring and alarm monitoring.

Not worked out the final details - maybe something running on an OPC server with possibilty of GPRS/3G comms for monitoring when the boat is left unattended.

NMEA 2000 data on instruments opens up acess to data that one can use to generate performance polars if one should get bored

Could also integrate a maintenance log

Cheers

Alan
Nordic cat is offline   Reply With Quote