Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2010, 00:48   #16

Boat: Jeanneau 57
ABYC Standards are American, I know of of no single country that has adopted them for use outside of the American continent. While other countries might have similar or identical regulations who is to say where they came from...

The ABYC regulations for an electrical solenoid use in gas systems is a good example, as that regulation is a bone of contention and the EU recommends the exact opposite.

Back to the topic - I have the Victron aboard and find that power and load sharing feature to be great; it helps when I fire up the watermaker, which uses all of the genset's power (and then some), or if I am at a dock and we experience a brownout or blackout. When plugged into a weak shore power source I can also regulate how much power goes to the AC and how much to the batteries, another awesome feature.
Zanshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2010, 08:31   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
It sounds like just the thing. That plus a couple solar panels and a small generator and let the games begin. Fortunately there is a Victron dealer not far from here.
hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2010, 08:58   #18

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
My low draw 110 circuits pass through the invertor. High draw circuits like a/c and fridge bypass the invertor. I don't like this set-up. What if the invertor goes bad? I made up a set of cables to bypass the invertor in case the invertor goes out on any long passage. I jump the input to one of the battery chargers to the output of the invertor so that genertaor power will supply the circuits normally supplied by the invertor.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, charger