Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2018, 08:57   #1

Boat: Custom Marples 40 FC
Alternator and starter wiring question.....

Hello to all electrical junkies out there. Just a quick question to tap into your expertise.

This is concerning a very simple DC system. I want to limit the amount and number of single "O" cabling.

This is the scenario.........

There will be a negative bus. From the bus there will be a single "O" cable tied to the grounding lug on the engine. Both batteries negative side will tie into the negative bus as well.

Instead of running two additional cables I am considering wiring the negative leads from the ALTERNATOR and the STARTER directly to the grounding lug. So they would share the lug with the single "O" lead to the negative or ground bus and then on to the negative lead on the battery.

This is just an attempt at a cleaner set up and the reduction of heavy cabling. I am hoping that this is an acceptable approach. Or even better the preferred method.

I appreciate any input .......pro or con. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

S
w32honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:44   #2
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Alternator and starter wiring question.....

Fine, just make sure all the paralleled termination rings lie completely flat against each other, no gaps, clean metal surfaces and no more than those three stacked on the one lug.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator, wiring