Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2016, 22:33   #1

Boat: LAGOON 400
Turn into wind

I am planning my downwind setup in strong winds. Plenty of these here and important to keep good speed on passage. 2 jibs are nice but I only have 1 so far. I am considering alternatives for singlehanding.

L 400 jib is 28 m2, 2 jibs are 56m2 of downwind sail. If one uses second reef in main and 80 % of genoa as per lagoon reefing guidelines that can be used up to 33 app is alternative. Shorting jib to 60% gives you up to 38 kn app. This is enough for area I am sailing in. I would think these app windspeeds we talking 10 + kn boat speed even without waves.

Sail area in this case 23m2 jib and 32.5 m2 main = 55.5 which is pretty much same as 2 jib setup.

Second reef main does not suffer from shrouds chafe therefore nice wing on wing can be setup by fixing boom against jibe.

In case, wind increases, one would pack up jib and turn to wind to get to 3rd reef or drop sail. I have turned in 33 kn true with 1 reef in reasonable vawes and it was non-event.

Anyone has experience up to how much wind one can turn with 2nd reef in main only ? My guess would be 45 kn at least assuming waves do not interfere too much - wait for a relative lull.

Alternative is to have downhaul installed in this setup, so can winch sail down slowly without turning.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 00:01   #2

Re: Turn into wind

Shouldn't that be "turn with the wind"?

Does your L400 have a jib or the standard Genoa ?

I find that running downwind 20 degrees either side of DDW its either Symmetrical spinnaker or if short handed, use the Genoa but use a barber hauler. In use a small block attached to the middle cleat with a dyneema soft shackle. Tie a length of 10mm line to the Genoa clew and run through this block and to a winch to keep the sail held out and away from the spreaders.

If the wind is close to DDW and under 20 -25 knots I wing on wing the Genoa and the gennaker. Much easier to recover than a spinnaker as both are furling sails
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 00:50   #3

i have standard genoa. Not sure what is the difference between jib and genoa.

Interesting setup you propose. Will try it. I have used cleat but try to do a bit better.

The other day I was in around 3-4 m following seas with jib on cleat doing 6-7kn in 20 to 35 kn and I was thinking how to increase speed. Gennaker seem a bit too big for that and also will likely collapse too often due to movement. Adding main second reef and doubling sail area seem like reasonable option.

To reef one needs to turn into wind, no ? English never was my interest.
Old 04-03-2016, 03:27   #4

Try reefing without turning into the wind. On our boat, it's easy. Just ease the halyard a little and winch in the clew reefing point, ease halyard winch in clew... until it's reefed, than you can usually secure the tack reef point and re tension the halyard.

Give it a go in mild conditions, see how it works.

I only very rarely change course to reef.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 23:33   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Try reefing without turning into the wind. On our boat, it's easy. Just ease the halyard a little and winch in the clew reefing point, ease halyard winch in clew... until it's reefed, than you can usually secure the tack reef point and re tension the halyard.

Give it a go in mild conditions, see how it works.

I only very rarely change course to reef.
Tried. It worked !

Are there side effects of this approach ? Like sail chafe or cars damage?

Looks promising.
Old 05-03-2016, 23:55   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

We reef on any point of sail. Just use a downhaul. When running and reefing I did have a sail batten get caught behind the aft lower shroud so be careful of similar. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
wind