Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2014, 02:11   #16

Boat: Lagoon 410 S2 2006 Owner Version
Re: Preparing for Cyclone in Oz

Hey
No knocking stuff off from our boat! Even genoa cars! Look forward to catching up. planning on Sydney for New Years Eve. So will be passing your neck of the woods late in the year.
catstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 13:09   #17

Boat: currently boatless

Hi Ron,
funny thing about those genoa cars, must be a L410 Genoa car theif around. One of yours is missing but strangely one appeared on my boat.
At the moment there is just light rain but it belted down during the night. It was good for one thing, we found all the hatches that leak . Thank goodness for a dry spell and painters tape. There is a bit of a surge here in the marina at the moment. Did'nt really notice it in bed but when we got up it was quite noticable. We are bow into the surge so our movement is limited. The boats beam on to the surge are moving slightly more.
Examined the weather reports and at this time the storm is still considered a deep tropical low and has slowed considerably. The Whitsunday pilotage area has been closed and all shipping including ferries to the islands cancelled till further notice.It is still on track to come over the top of us. It is just a case of just waiting, waiting and more waiting. The only great concern I have at the moment is that we are down to our last bottle of Jim Bean.

Greg and Sue
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 13:59   #18

The latest BOM forecast has it moving away from you over the next couple of days, going northwest, possibly not crossing the coast.

Good news for your area at least.

Tropical Cyclone Forecast Track Map Page (1)
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 15:47   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsailer View Post
From what I have been told you are correct that the pylons for the marina have been reduced in height as they were not asthectically pleasing to the eye. And this is from a guy who owns sail boats. Go figure.
The same idiot built Port Hinchinbrook marina I believe, and installed pylons that were too short there as well. And the only finger that stayed on its pylon there was one where a berth owner increased the pylon height to where it should be. The resulting mess now has multiple liquidators trying to 'fix' it - no boat, house or berth owner will come away unscathed that's for sure.
Morrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 16:02   #20

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Hinchinbrook Marina was well known to have the pylons too short along with a few other fairly major issues in general. The jetties very nearly floated off during a minor event just a couple of years before it was wrecked. I think the marinas around the Whitsundays are a little better, but I wouldn't hang around if a large surge was expected as I'm guessing most only extend a metre or two above HAT. The Whitsundays have large tides so they rely somewhat on surges not occurring at the same time as a king tide - something that nearly happened with TC Dylan recently.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 21:32   #21

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Hopefully it will stay a low and remain a good rain event without too much wind. But who can predict. All good so far.

I have an appointment in Townsville driving from Mackay early Tuesday but that doesn't appear likely. At this time of year in NQ one can never be sure of driving the highway without possible road closures for flooding. Quite normal really.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 00:38   #22

Boat: Lagoon 380 #241

Been watching the weather radar. You guys have been getting some serious rain. Ah well, nice for somebody else to get it for a change instead of us.

Is the boat turning "green" yet. I'm waiting till after the "wet" to give mine a good scrub.

Has the Bakery run out of croissants, pasties, pies, bread & coffee yet?

Dave
Seabreeze, Lagoon 380 #241
Innisfail, North Queensland, Australia ... Cruising the waters of the Great Barrier Reef
www.sea-breeze.com.au
gspeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 01:06   #23

Boat: Island Packet 40

Spent a fair bit of time in the Whitsundays and the cyclone thing always bothered me due to the lack of really good cyclone anchorages. If you have to spend a cyclone in a marina Hammo is probably one of the better ones. It's off a fairly narrow passage and Dent should shield it from too much wave action. I would much rather be there then in the Abel Point marina which is open to the north east.

The key to the booze and Beethoven technique is to water back the whiskey and turn up the stereo.

Good luck with the mongrel thing.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 01:39   #24

Boat: John Pugh / Currawong 48/OAL

Hi Ozsailor I have done 8 Cyclones and Typhoons the best trick is to know that any amount of worry will not move the cyclone and just make sure you have made your own decisions as to your safety. I know where you are and you are pretty secure and your life and family is not at risk. The low looks like it my end up out at sea so just keep a good grip on the rum bottle and endure the experience. I will be down to the Whits this year for the Airlie Regatta and then cruising so if you see us about come over for a chat Cheers Jacko
Jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 03:02   #25

Boat: John Pugh / Currawong 48/OAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
The same idiot built Port Hinchinbrook marina I believe, and installed pylons that were too short there as well. And the only finger that stayed on its pylon there was one where a berth owner increased the pylon height to where it should be. The resulting mess now has multiple liquidators trying to 'fix' it - no boat, house or berth owner will come away unscathed that's for sure.
You very wrong in you silly statements if you bothered to find out the real facts of the Cardwell disaster even if the piles were 1.5mtrs higher the same would have happened. Although I have no personal attachment to the developer Hamo and Carwell both are great sites, and Cardwell will in the future be bought back to life as it is a great place for Sail and Power cruisers as a sailor that has spent a few cyclone seasons in the port Hinchinbrook Marina ( not Yasi ) I take offence that the developer was an idiot ( Kieth is now in the BIG marina) and would like to see that retracted on CF . Not one finger was left in place after Yasi so your gossip about the owners pylons is unfounded Get your facts right !!!!!!!!! Jacko
Jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 03:22   #26

Best of luck Greg and Sue,

Hopefully the Low will pass you by soon, while we are having neap tides. Any storm surge will be minimised by the effect of the neaps.
It's a bit silly to compare this blow with TC Yasi and the damage caused at Hinchinbrook, chalk and cheese! Still, it's best that you are prepared.
Look after that 'goon!
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 03:48   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Hi Greg and Sue
Looks like the forecast shows that the cyclone is predicted to stay out to sea and then head further from you by tomorrow evening. Keeping fingers crossed for you.

How are the supplies of Jim Beam and choc holding out? Is there still a liquor store right next to Sunsail and has there been a run on it? Bet no new deliveries are coming in at the moment so make that final bottle last .

Best wishes.

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 15:26   #28

Boat: currently boatless

Hello All,
well the good news is that while the low has now been officially declared Cyclone Hadi but is now staying out to sea and is expected to move away in a north East direction. Regardless we will keep an eye out just in case she decides to turn and come and visit anyway.
The experience has certainly taught us many valuable things and these are best tried under these types of real life experiences. I just hope we never have to put these into place again one day.
Your right in your comments regarding personnel safety Jacko, a boat is only that, a boat which can be replaced. Family friends and loved ones are far more important. There was great camaraderie among all the boaties with all looking out for each other.
There were a few very important things I learnt that would be relevant to most sailors. 1) Ensure that your spouse or other person on board does not drink what you do. My Jim Bean would have lasted a lot longer if my spouse did not drink it. 2) Always buy chips/potato crisps flavours that only you like. 3) Never never ever tell your spouse where your secret stash of goodies is. Its not nice sneaking out of bed at 3am in the Monsignor with a chocolate craving only to find empty wrappers
We have both learnt patience and my reading has improved.
Thank you everyone for your concerns and input. It was greatly appreciated.

Greg and Sue
SV Sunshine
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 13:27   #29

Hopefully it will do as (currently) forecast, and head out to sea. However it hasn't done exactly as predicted so far.....
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 15:14   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Looking good at present,
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote