Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2017, 14:22   #1

New Lagoon pricing?

I'm going to be retiring shortly and am looking at buying a Lagoon 400 to hopefully spend the next 10-20 years sailing around the world. I was originally looking used but am having a tough time finding any "Owners Versions" in good shape that aren't priced so close to new that I may as well buy new for only a little more.

I've started to get some prices sent to me on new Lagoons which are all basically the same and am curious as to what other owners experience has been with respect to pricing, the dealers have been telling me that they don't negotiate much as their boats are in such high demand, my question is if this is just a negotiating tactic or is it true? What sort of discounts have other new buyers received?

I'm from Canada and I plan on picking the boat up in France and don't plan on returning to Canada for at least a couple of years, so is their any real advantage to buying from a Canadian dealer as any future warranty work will probably never be done here? So if warrant work can be done anywhere in the world, is there any advantage to buying somewhere else and if so where?

Thanks in advance for your time and feel free to PM me if you prefer to do that rather than posting your response here.

Jesse
Jessec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 14:26   #2
cruiser

Re: New Lagoon pricing?

Buy it in France and flag it from where ever it's cheapest.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 01:06   #3

Boat: Lagoon 450S
Send a message via Skype™ to davedindubai

Hi Jessec,

Good luck with your purchase and we bought new because of exactly the same reason. Due to exchange rates, not having to pay VAT and strong resale values it just didn't make sense to buy used.

You should be able to negotiate a small discount with a broker but it won't be much. They don't need to, the boats will sell anyway.

We don't quite have our boat yet, it's due to leave the factory any day now so ask me again in a month and I'll tell you how the whole experience went. So far my broker has been great!

We also had time constraints, we didn't want to miss the Med season and got lucky with a cancellation boat so if we wanted to do it this year, we had to pull the trigger there and then.
davedindubai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 03:54   #4

Boat: Wilbur 44

Good luck with your purchase. It night be worth asking this question on the Lagoon Owners group on Yahoo. Getting warranty work done from Lagoon can be very frustrating. I would advise a very good shakedown before leaving and a clear understanding- in writing- of who will be responsible for any punch list items. Once the boat leaves the factory commissioning may be done by a third party paid for by you via your broker. I last bought about ten years ago so things may be different.
hmeilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 04:45   #5

Boat: Seaquest46

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedindubai View Post
Hi Jessec,

Good luck with your purchase and we bought new because of exactly the same reason. Due to exchange rates, not having to pay VAT and strong resale values it just didn't make sense to buy used.

You should be able to negotiate a small discount with a broker but it won't be much. They don't need to, the boats will sell anyway.

We don't quite have our boat yet, it's due to leave the factory any day now so ask me again in a month and I'll tell you how the whole experience went. So far my broker has been great!

We also had time constraints, we didn't want to miss the Med season and got lucky with a cancellation boat so if we wanted to do it this year, we had to pull the trigger there and then.
Which broker are you using Dave?
Ratel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 05:22   #6

Boat: Pogo 10,50

Just as a piece of warning: Lagoon 400 production might not last for very long. Replacement by the L40 should come soon
CbroTheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 06:50   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratel View Post
Which broker are you using Dave?
I'm using the broker in Dubai. He's French and Local to Lagoon, his name is Xavier.

just in case you didn't know, regarding warranty, the b&g warranty is with b&g, the yanmar warranty with Yanmar and so on.
Old 31-05-2017, 07:23   #8

Boat: Seaquest46

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedindubai View Post
I'm using the broker in Dubai. He's French and Local to Lagoon, his name is Xavier.

just in case you didn't know, regarding warranty, the b&g warranty is with b&g, the yanmar warranty with Yanmar and so on.
Thanks, slowly but surely our plans are coming together. We were thinking along the same lines of taking delivery in France...
Ratel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 02:21   #9

Boat: Bertram 46.6 FBMY

Hello Jessec,

I'm in Hong Kong.

I'm working with the Lagoon Broker here. Really great people ! My issue is that the lagoon factory is so set in what (I think is) a small and simple adjustments they will or will NOT do as I want in my new boat build... I am paying the cash and yet they act as if I am a crazy man.

My example... Just saying I want the hull(s) below the water line sprayed with several coats of epoxy, sanded, and then 6 coats of CopperCoat, rather then basic anti foul. After I said that, they look at me as if I have insulted their mother in the rudest way...

Very unique !!!

No matter what... I still look forward to my new Lagoon, and no matter what they won't do, I'll have it done as I want once it leaves the factory !!

Good luck on your new vessel !!

Alan
Hkalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 03:43   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hkalan View Post

No matter what... I still look forward to my new Lagoon, and no matter what they won't do, I'll have it done as I want once it leaves the factory !!

Good luck on your new vessel !!

Alan
That's why I've done everything ex factory. It's cheaper, better and ultimately, it's what we want and not what Lagoon think we want.
Old 04-06-2017, 04:53   #11

Wise man !!

On my Seventy 7 I ordered, the John Deer 230 HP engines come stock as 24v from the John Deer factory, but Nanni France change it to 12v for Lagoon. Not many nice written replies from Lagoon when I asked why.

Took a week to get the John Deer dealer in Hong Kong to agree to change over the Starter and Electronics to 24v to hold the warranty from John Deer, rather then the Lagoon factory warranty.

Been sailboat for over 30 years, and my opinion of having a 24v house bank and 12v engine banks was as stupid as fishing for Marlin without a lure or hook at the end of the line !!!

Have a great day !!! Sun just set here, so we are going squid fishing after a ceremonial shot to keep our hands steady as we hand-line fish just like the old man and the sea !!! (Less fight with a 9 inch long squid HaHaHa)

Alan
Old 04-06-2017, 08:07   #12

I believe a discount depends on the model. An in demand model like the 42 with a 18 month waitlist maybe no discount whereas another model with say an 8 month waitlist may get 5% or a little more. I understand that discounts maybe offered at some boat shows like Cannes. I have seen a 5% discount offered on a 52 at a boat show. Good luck.
John Holbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:13   #13

Hello,

It is not the discount I focus on, it is the vessel I desire to fulfil my every need !!

That is from the heart... a topic of any point of view, but If I'm willing to pay the cost... that is basic foundation of boat ownership !!!

Buy what you can afford, and amongst ALL things... be happy and confident with the vessel under your ownership ...

That perhaps is an unwritten mariners code... need to do a google search on that !!!

Alan

Tags
lagoon