Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2015, 07:46   #1
SD Model Makers

Boat: Lagoon 410 S2
How to Bahimian Moor

Hello,
I have a 2005 Lagoon 410. I am heading for the Bahamas and understand there will be an occasional need to use the Bahamian Moor.
I have a single anchor roller (at the end of my spreader bar) and chain catwalk. How can I put two anchors out from the bow? What about using the bridle with this 2nd anchor?
Advice from experienced Lagoon owners with a similar set up?
Thanks
Capt. Brad
CaptainBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 15:42   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Marine Trader 36 Sundeck
Re: How to Bahimian Moor

I'm no Bahamian anchoring expert, but I've never seen any cruiser in the Bahamas use anything other then a single anchor. I think it has more to do with the new gen anchors then anything else. Great holding and a fast reset...Thoughts anyone??
Old 03-05-2015, 16:52   #3

Boat: Nauticat 33

I've also never seen anyone with more than one out. Just got back from 6 months there and never needed more than one.
cofc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 16:59   #4

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Very few places in the Bahamas where you need more than one hook. Pipe Creek in the Exumas might be one.

Toronto in summer, Bahamas in winter.
Old 03-05-2015, 17:06   #5

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

I've only used the Bahamian Moor once and that was in a very narrow anchorage in Maine. I've never used it or known anyone who claimed they used it in the Bahamas. There was only one place I might have have used it and instead just used a stern anchor as well as the bow anchor. I carried it out about 60 feet with the dink and the fact that the current changed direction every 6.25 hours didn't bother us in the least. In real life the Bahamian Moor is somewhat of a PITA since the two rodes seem the get wound around each other after a couple of tide changes.
Captain Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 17:30   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Marine Trader 36 Sundeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsurfnut View Post
Hello,
I have a 2005 Lagoon 410. I am heading for the Bahamas and understand there will be an occasional need to use the Bahamian Moor.
I have a single anchor roller (at the end of my spreader bar) and chain catwalk. How can I put two anchors out from the bow? What about using the bridle with this 2nd anchor?
Advice from experienced Lagoon owners with a similar set up?
Thanks
Capt. Brad
If you don't already have one, grab or make yourself a "looky bucket". About 35 bucks at West Marine, 70 bucks in the islands. With it you can inspect the set on your anchor from your dink without having to get in the water, as well as scope out spots to explore with a snorkel set up.
Old 03-05-2015, 17:34   #7

Boat: a sailing boat

You are lucky on a cat because you may be able to actually drop No1 between the hulls and keep on going forward to the spot where you drop the bower. Reverse some, then let the boat settle half way between the two. Make sure it is a line to the chain not the other way round. You do not want to wake up to the sound of chain grinding your plasticky topsides
;-)

Less fun in a mono but I do fine by simply rowing No 2 away and then doing the rest of the job from the deck. Cannot be done with a heavy anchor but ours is a wee boat hence the 2nd anchor can be rowed off most of the time.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 18:57   #8

Boat: Seafarer36c

Well if the Bahamians don't want it anymore, we could change it to a Belizean Moor. We have been using it more and more this year around Belize. Our second anchor is an FX-27 so it's easy to handle, if it does not chop off your fingers.
The end result is a much smaller swing in a tight anchorage. I'm not talking other boats either.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 19:16   #9

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852

If no one else is using it in the anchorage then you don't want to use it and swing to a different radius. But really it's a real pain and a good chance of waking up with the second anchor line wrapped around your sail drive or something. Quite often you can move around the corner or whatever to avoid anchoring in full on current.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote