Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2014, 05:33   #16
TOT

Boat: Lagoon 450
Re: Dingy to Heavy For My Davits

You might want to watch the YouTube video - Lagoon 450 Marea June 2014 as they fitted their own davits by the look of it and l know when l looked at the Williams it was a jet boat and a lot heavier than 250 kg's...Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1413117181.649060.jpg
Views:	586
Size:	366.8 KB
ID:	89579
Old 12-10-2014, 05:34   #17

Boat: PT-11

But the answer is to sell the dinghy and get a smaller, lighter one. You can still swim, fish, dive, etc. with it and it wont cost you $15,000.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 07:20   #18

Boat: Catalina 34 - "Points North"

Another, very cheap, option is to have two new stays running from the top of the mast down and aft to the two arms of the davits. Works like a champ. I believe that leave $9K for the strip club.
Old 12-10-2014, 16:34   #19

Boat: Lagoon 410
Thumbs up Re: Dingy to Heavy For My Davits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave the Canuck View Post
Another, very cheap, option is to have two new stays running from the top of the mast down and aft to the two arms of the davits. Works like a champ. I believe that leave $9K for the strip club.
Finally when to the strip club still got my big dingy but now I got 3 new mate on board.............
cashgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 17:24   #20

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer

Here is an image of the stern of a Lagoon 410. I don't see an inexpensive solution.

wingless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2014, 14:01   #21

Boat: Lagoon 380 #069

Fine, keep the dinghy. Buy a bigger boat?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
yardie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 04:57   #22
TOT

How did you end up solving the issue??
Old 10-11-2014, 09:34   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOT View Post
How did you end up solving the issue??
Not yet got few idea change the davits, arch or put the dingy on deck and just using 1 of 2 water tank to compasated the weight.
my cat is in the bvi at this moment and will be back on lake Champlain NY in May. dingy is at my home, they will meet next spring so I am waiting to get them togerther to take the decision.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:13   #24
TOT

Hi Cashgar
I would suggest that Lagoon did not design their davits in line with such a large boat that can accommodate so many people, l even enquired about adding the platform they have on bigger models and was advised that it is not possible, would have been a good option for owners.

Had the davits been made to allow another 12" more clearance it would have made the entire process easier for owners, depending on the weight of the tender.

You have a very heavy tender and may be better of on deck if you can lift such a heavy weight with existing equipment.

They may be another question you ask the forum as l am not sure of the load limits of the lines on the boat.

Please keep us updated on your progress.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:37   #25

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi

We looked into this quite a bit before we went cruising. I eventually got an engineer to come down to the boat and take a look at it for me. We have a Lagoon 440 ... we extended the davits with a horizontal tube and fitted 5 solar panels on the top complete with tilting Stainless Steel frame ... and we hoist a dinghy complete with 30HP outboard engine and 2 x petrol tanks and a heavy anchor and we NEVER remove the engine under sail ... have been sailing in all weather conditions like this for the last 3 odd years full time, crossed the Atlantic and the Pacific ... the trick ... the Way we tie the dinghy to the boat.

Surprisingly the davit tubes are 'sprung'! They are fitted to the boat with the inside tube bracket at an offset to the bulkhead ... and then the offset braket is cranked down by tightening the bolts which pre-bends the tube in the opposite direction to which a load will cause it to straighten (not sure I'm being clear here but trying to be) - anyway, the engine gets tilted on the dinghy and the dinghy gets strapped by cargo rachett straps over the davits which pull the dinghy into the stern of the boat. The painter is tied off to the main horn cleats keeping the front of the dinghy in position and then a cargo strap is placed on the leg of the dinghy engine and ratcheted to the other side rear horncleat. The dinghy is now snug between the stern and the underside of the davit and in a sense becomes part of the structure. To make it even better for severe wind and sea state we had 'handles fitted' to the sides of the solar panel frames (great as handholds when getting in and out of the dinghy too) which allow for cargo straps to pull up toward the roof of the patio area and down to the handles at the step closest to the water on both sides. That further supports movement of the structure, however, we only had to do this once in very large seas and winds gusting over 60 knots ... the entire structure was solid!

I would recommend the use of a structural engineer to save you a lot of money in modifications ... look rather if there can't be a 'tie down' solution. You may be able to get some idea from photos on our blog here ... Impi: HURRICANE STORM YACHT PREPARATION ... boat remaining in the water

Anyway .. 40 hp may be pushing the envelope a bit ... our 30hp is 2 stroke so maybe lighter than the 4 strokes ... the dinghy is a double floor heavy duty fiberglass ... it is a heavy dinghy at 3.8m length. Oh ... and we did build a bracket in the dinghy to have the lift perfectly aligned with the spacing of the davits

Took a look at the post I suggested but the engine is down as opposed to up ... you may get a better glimpse on one of our videos on youtube ... although it was not filmed for the davits one can see the dinghy and straps in some frames ...
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 18:00   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOT View Post
Hi Cashgar
I would suggest that Lagoon did not design their davits in line with such a large boat that can accommodate so many people, l even enquired about adding the platform they have on bigger models and was advised that it is not possible, would have been a good option for owners.

Had the davits been made to allow another 12" more clearance it would have made the entire process easier for owners, depending on the weight of the tender.

You have a very heavy tender and may be better of on deck if you can lift such a heavy weight with existing equipment.

They may be another question you ask the forum as l am not sure of the load limits of the lines on the boat.

Please keep us updated on your progress.
You are write lagoon did not go so far in this process !! anyway it is mosely because I try to accommodate the kids and the wife that I am stock with this issue big dingy but so far I like the comfort of it
Yes I will keep updated of my progress that is a good questions if the line and polie will hold the charge Thanks
Old 12-11-2014, 18:38   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by impi View Post
We looked into this quite a bit before we went cruising. I eventually got an engineer to come down to the boat and take a look at it for me. We have a Lagoon 440 ... we extended the davits with a horizontal tube and fitted 5 solar panels on the top complete with tilting Stainless Steel frame ... and we hoist a dinghy complete with 30HP outboard engine and 2 x petrol tanks and a heavy anchor and we NEVER remove the engine under sail ... have been sailing in all weather conditions like this for the last 3 odd years full time, crossed the Atlantic and the Pacific ... the trick ... the Way we tie the dinghy to the boat.

Surprisingly the davit tubes are 'sprung'! They are fitted to the boat with the inside tube bracket at an offset to the bulkhead ... and then the offset braket is cranked down by tightening the bolts which pre-bends the tube in the opposite direction to which a load will cause it to straighten (not sure I'm being clear here but trying to be) - anyway, the engine gets tilted on the dinghy and the dinghy gets strapped by cargo rachett straps over the davits which pull the dinghy into the stern of the boat. The painter is tied off to the main horn cleats keeping the front of the dinghy in position and then a cargo strap is placed on the leg of the dinghy engine and ratcheted to the other side rear horncleat. The dinghy is now snug between the stern and the underside of the davit and in a sense becomes part of the structure. To make it even better for severe wind and sea state we had 'handles fitted' to the sides of the solar panel frames (great as handholds when getting in and out of the dinghy too) which allow for cargo straps to pull up toward the roof of the patio area and down to the handles at the step closest to the water on both sides. That further supports movement of the structure, however, we only had to do this once in very large seas and winds gusting over 60 knots ... the entire structure was solid!

I would recommend the use of a structural engineer to save you a lot of money in modifications ... look rather if there can't be a 'tie down' solution. You may be able to get some idea from photos on our blog here ... Impi: HURRICANE STORM YACHT PREPARATION ... boat remaining in the water

Anyway .. 40 hp may be pushing the envelope a bit ... our 30hp is 2 stroke so maybe lighter than the 4 strokes ... the dinghy is a double floor heavy duty fiberglass ... it is a heavy dinghy at 3.8m length. Oh ... and we did build a bracket in the dinghy to have the lift perfectly aligned with the spacing of the davits

Took a look at the post I suggested but the engine is down as opposed to up ... you may get a better glimpse on one of our videos on youtube ... although it was not filmed for the davits one can see the dinghy and straps in some frames ...
Hi impi

Just look at your video on YouTube nice ride under the asymmetrical !! I did few nm at sea with my 380 and now with my 410 and I agree they are great boat to run at sea , never try a 440 but I can imagine the run at 12 to 14 kn wow......the best I did with the 410 was to keep it running over 10 kn for more them 24 h 256 mm that the best We did together. I am not telling you the worst 24h that we did ...

I am going on my boat next Sunday in the bvi for 2 weeks it will be easier to try to figure how it will fit on it and were thanks again for all the advise C
Old 13-11-2014, 04:01   #28
TOT

Well done Impi great video
Old 14-11-2014, 07:33   #29

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashgar View Post
I am not telling you the worst 24h that we did ...
I can still remember our worst run: 84nm when crossing the atlantic in what was supposed to be a fully established trade wind.

Our davits were slightly different model, see picture (model year 1999). These had a Lagoon sticker on them: max static load per Davit 150kg

That would be in-line with your load, if it's spread even. But still it's pushing it to its limits, our dinghy was half of that. We only removed the outboard for major crossings.

Since you are at the limits try to spread the load even between the two davits. For passages tie down as good as possible to reduce dynamic loads.

And finally run a dyneema backstay to the top plate of the mast and put some good tension on it with a toggle. Maybe loose some weight in the dinghy, like using a smaller tank and just add the big tanks for longer excursions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7396.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	91620  
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2014, 03:50   #30

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashgar View Post
Hi impi

Just look at your video on YouTube nice ride under the asymmetrical !! I did few nm at sea with my 380 and now with my 410 and I agree they are great boat to run at sea , never try a 440 but I can imagine the run at 12 to 14 kn wow......the best I did with the 410 was to keep it running over 10 kn for more them 24 h 256 mm that the best We did together. I am not telling you the worst 24h that we did ...

I am going on my boat next Sunday in the bvi for 2 weeks it will be easier to try to figure how it will fit on it and were thanks again for all the advise C
Cashgar ... that's impressive ... 256 NM in 24 Hrs. It reminds me of a similar trip where both Ana and I fell ill during a 15 day crossing. The others had 'left us behind' ... I had developed diabetes and Ana had salmonella poisoning ... we were just cruising on the genoa when the others emailed us via satellite to say we were lagging ... now a day behind them ... I pulled myself together not quite being the full man I should have been ...hoisted the main ... broke a batten in the mainsail as I allowed the boat to gybe ... brought down the mainsail and put up the asymmetric in strong winds running well over 200 NM for 2 days consecutively ... feeling weak and mostly lay crumpled up on the floor ...
Oh man, I wish you could have heard them when I cruised right on in-between them ...
At the same moment I explained that we were sick as dogs and they must continue on their own ... we are not racers but cruisers ...
The folks continued having fun zig zagging all over the show in search of currents and winds ... we just ambled along on 2 Genoa side by side ...
All were astounded as we arrived at our destination pretty much all at the same time! One couple said they had to use engines on and off for the last stint ... we sailed the whole way, so in the end ... ???
impi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
davits