Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2012, 02:27   #1

Boat: Lagoon 440
Customizing Our 440......

Ok from when we joined CF we spoke about buying a 440, then i started various threads discussing mod's that would be desirable/sensible given that the 440 we bought is in CROATIA and our home country is Australia.

We have the Atlantic and the Pacific to deal with so our thinking is over the next 2 years we shall totally ready the boat.

So these are the projects for this winter, i shall update with photo's and drawings for those interested just ask.

1) Upgrade anchoring:- Ultra swivel and Ultra chain grip for new 25mm nylon bridle. Bridle length to be beam width so it forms equilateral triangle deployed.
Repair broken badly designed anchor roller and install SS brace to prevent future problems.

2) Fit Staysail to boat:- This requires a Spectra rope luff, changing walkway bolts at bow and fit a suitable eye to accomodate staysail connection. Fit a halyard exiting level with aft stays just above radar. Fit staysail self tending arrangement including a track.

3) Solar:- Fit a tilting panel aft above walkway holding 3 panels giving around 810 watts.

4) Helm:- Remove inside Gear/Throttle setup and re-install on Portside aft of cockpit steps so i can single handed back up and secure lines.

5) Navigation:- Fit AIS 650, Lifetags x 4, Scanpod so i can fit E120 plotter vertically instead of the stupid horizontal spot where with poloroids you cannot read it etc etc.
Fit Raymarine camera at first spreaders so we can see the reef passages when motoring into Lagoons etc.

6) Sails:- Get twin matched headsails in 6.5oz so we can set them tradewind-sailing/goosewing.
Fit FFR, a reaching sail from '1Sails'.

7) PC Nav:- Get a program running Navionics onto my MacBook Pro with GPS dongle so if Raymarine goes down we have back up using same charts.

8) Folding props:- Decide and fit on slip in new year.

9) Extra's:- New sail cover with longer skirt suiting the Profurl boom more, Shoe bag under cockpit table connecting to table legs and Re-place large diameter washers behind docking cleats with 8mm ally backing plates.

So that's the jobs for this year's winter season prior to heading off to Greece in late March.

That's the result of owning a boat = WORK!

Cheers
Old 28-11-2012, 10:25   #2

Boat: Lagoon380 Comfort#637
Send a message via Skype™ to careka
Re: Customizing Our 440......

7) PC Nav:- Get a program running Navionics onto my MacBook Pro with GPS dongle so if Raymarine goes down we have back up using same charts.
--------
i use I-Pad with charts for back up. with GPS and it works fine. Charts are cheaper also.
and i have INavX installed. and on the mac i have backup for the I-Pad.
i have charts from INavx , and Navionics, and
And the charts you by (Navionics) from INavx also have 2 years of updating included. you get mail when new updates are ready.
------
careka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 10:35   #3

Boat: secondarily boatless

Frank,

it's almost funny how we are running slightly behind you. Fat Cat is currently on the hard, getting feathering props, having sea cocks replaced, antifouling applied. We did a custom bridle last summer. Heating and cooling is next, and then a good set of sails - and then we will be OFF!

I like the idea of the engine controls way back...

Maybe we will run into each other somewhere...

Oliver
Oliver L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 10:40   #4

IT'S so simple to shift them there the length of cable is same, my son is getting the ally pressing done and i'll weld it up and powder coat it bringing it back in luggage after xmas.

AIS will help us too not run in but at least find each other if anchored near which is amazing stuff.

Sails isn't it funny you just get two!!!!! LMAO we will head off with 5 plus the Stormsail...

Cheers Frank
Old 28-11-2012, 11:37   #5

Boat: secondarily boatless

Frank,

we're in for 4 sails - replacing the two workhorses, then getting a storm jib and a gennaker. We have debated a spi of some kind, but we both feel that at this time we feel more comfortable with something we can simply furl. That may change over*time...

Where are you heading in spring? We will go East from Port Camargue for a few months -*then turn around in time to make it past Gibraltar in late fall...

Oliver
Oliver L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 16:33   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Instead of the double double headsail why not go to an asymetrical spin on a furler?

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 21:18   #7

Greg wev'e been down that line in our discussions we will be doing lots of Tradewind Sailing 2 up only and enjoy the simplicity of goose winging.

Night time and he cat factor i.e. no poles makes it a must.

Cheers
Old 28-11-2012, 21:25   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver L. View Post
Frank,

we're in for 4 sails - replacing the two workhorses, then getting a storm jib and a gennaker. We have debated a spi of some kind, but we both feel that at this time we feel more comfortable with something we can simply furl. That may change over*time...

Where are you heading in spring? We will go East from Port Camargue for a few months -*then turn around in time to make it past Gibraltar in late fall...

Oliver
Yeh hence our twin headsail option, the furlers on the prodder are only for deploying and retrieving they are not furlers in the true sense, maybe should be called 'stowers' or roller upperers!!!

The twin headsail's in light cloth will lift the bows, they are 50% instantly reducible by tacking then become 2ply in a furling situation BUT i'd only use the like that for a short while.

Sail area's match the standard genny for each..

We will head off to Montenegro as soon as Spring pops it's head then Greece. Turkey will depend on what level of punch-up is going on other there.

Thinking of exiting Med via ARC 2014 unless something changes our mind to go earlier.

Cheers