Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2016, 16:41   #1

Yottie needed to take filmmakers across the Atlantic. Will Pay. Spring '17

We are a team of three working on a documentary that requires us to use a sailboat to cross the Atlantic. Two in our team have ASA 101 certifications and all of us can work. We will pay and handle liability concerns the captain may have. Please let us know.
Old 07-10-2016, 16:43   #2

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Re: Yottie needed to take filmmakers across the Atlantic. Will Pay. Spring '17

Why not see if you can get on with one of the ARC boats leaving in may

Sent from my STUDIO 5.5 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 07-10-2016, 17:10   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by forthetimebeing View Post
We are a team of three working on a documentary that requires us to use a sailboat to cross the Atlantic. Two in our team have ASA 101 certifications and all of us can work. We will pay and handle liability concerns the captain may have. Please let us know.
Just exactly what is the nature of your documentary that requires you to use a sailboat to cross you cross the Atlantic?

What is your budget? How much are you willing to pay? Will you share your profit?

These seem like pretty basic questions. Doubtful any mom and pop cruisers would accept three strangers on their boat without a little more info.

For a boat owner's perspective please read this-
http://www.yachtmollymawk.com/2011/0...-the-atlantic/

First time poster with no biography or link to web page, completely anonymous. Would expect a legit filmaker to at least have a webpage if they were serious.
Old 08-10-2016, 02:54   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, forthetimebeing.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:53   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot

Which way??? Start Point, Desired End Point, Mono or Cat, Size (ie how much gear do you have to carry)???
Old 08-10-2016, 09:17   #6
Marine Service Provider

Wow!
What a negative response up there Delancey!

I'm not one to engage much on this kind of stuff, but not only did your response make a multitude of assumptions about not only the original poster, but you also made significant assumptions in regards to other potential yacht owners opinions about taking on crew. ( namely that they agree with you )

Indeed, if this and other sites are to be used as a litmus, there a quite a few boats looking for unpaid, green, crew.
...In fact, it seems to be the majority of folks out there fall into this category.

Moreover, the link you added extensively, and explicitly details green crew.
The original poster not only stated they are certified sailors, they also offered to pay...

I don't think you read the OP post or the link you attached ( or other crew classifed posts here on CF for that matter )with any degree of scrutiny or added any forethought to your response other than negativity.

If you don't have anything nice to say, or helpful to add, perhaps don't say anything at all. The OP is looking for help, advice, not critism.

To the original poster: there are a lot of yachts that are departing The Caribbean in the spring.
The last race of the season is in Antigua in the spring, after which most yachts depart for insurance stipulations (typically bymay 1)
I'm sure some of them would be interested, and as another reply stated already, check out the ARC boats.
Also a lot of commercial yachts also depart st Maarten, and st Thomas.
Good Luck!
Old 08-10-2016, 09:19   #7
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I notice none of the posters who have replied to you are crossing the Atlantic in 2017.

I am.

From Caribbean to Med.

Email me at: boat (at) ourlifeatsea (dot) com

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 08-10-2016, 11:26   #8

Boat: Cheoy Lee Clipper 42 schooner

PM sent
Old 08-10-2016, 14:28   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Just exactly what is the nature of your documentary that requires you to use a sailboat to cross you cross the Atlantic?

What is your budget? How much are you willing to pay? Will you share your profit?

These seem like pretty basic questions. Doubtful any mom and pop cruisers would accept three strangers on their boat without a little more info.

For a boat owner's perspective please read this-
Catching a Ride Across the Atlantic – Yacht Mollymawk

First time poster with no biography or link to web page, completely anonymous. Would expect a legit filmaker to at least have a webpage if they were serious.
I was fortunate to stumble on that article a few months ago when I started this project. That article is precisely why I added the bit about insurance for the captain and offered to pay. I would rather not give too much of our narrative away as it is hugely subject to change at the moment. But, we will be operating under and environmental film grant that will require us to travel using as little fossil fuels as possible, hence the trans-Atlantic voyage by sail. Thank you for some of the insight.
Old 08-10-2016, 14:30   #10

Boat: Union cutter 33

we will be leaving nova scotia to the Azores in june if interested let me know ..
Old 08-10-2016, 14:58   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvimatelot View Post
Which way??? Start Point, Desired End Point, Mono or Cat, Size (ie how much gear do you have to carry)???
Thank you very much for the reply. I will send you a personal message with more information and our contact email. Please send us an email from there if you are interested.

Cheers,

Tim
Old 08-10-2016, 15:06   #12

Boat: Union cutter 33

we have a catalina34 outfitted for bluewater crusing will be 2 of us can take 3 more crew..
Old 08-10-2016, 15:12   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecureDelivery View Post
Wow!
What a negative response up there Delancey!

I'm not one to engage much on this kind of stuff, but not only did your response make a multitude of assumptions about not only the original poster, but you also made significant assumptions in regards to other potential yacht owners opinions about taking on crew. ( namely that they agree with you )

Indeed, if this and other sites are to be used as a litmus, there a quite a few boats looking for unpaid, green, crew.
...In fact, it seems to be the majority of folks out there fall into this category.

Moreover, the link you added extensively, and explicitly details green crew.
The original poster not only stated they are certified sailors, they also offered to pay...

I don't think you read the OP post or the link you attached ( or other crew classifed posts here on CF for that matter )with any degree of scrutiny or added any forethought to your response other than negativity.

If you don't have anything nice to say, or helpful to add, perhaps don't say anything at all. The OP is looking for help, advice, not critism.

To the original poster: there are a lot of yachts that are departing The Caribbean in the spring.
The last race of the season is in Antigua in the spring, after which most yachts depart for insurance stipulations (typically bymay 1)
I'm sure some of them would be interested, and as another reply stated already, check out the ARC boats.
Also a lot of commercial yachts also depart st Maarten, and st Thomas.
Good Luck!
Thank you for the reply! We are looking into as many options as we can, so, I appreciate the referral to ARC boats.
Old 08-10-2016, 15:42   #14
Marine Service Provider

No worries.
Should be noted that the Classics Regatta in Antigua consists of beautifully maintained classic large wooden yachts which may be more appealing given your premise.
Old 08-10-2016, 16:59   #15

Boat: Beneteau Sense 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by forthetimebeing View Post
I'm planning to cross the pond starting at st Croix early May 2017 to Azores then Gibraltar. And then into the med for hurricane season. I'm open for crew in my 52 beneteau let me know USCG 100 Capt years sailing the Carib.
Let me know sailon@msn.com
Ernie on the Mary Jane