Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2011, 10:36   #16

Thanks Banka - Re: Taiwan to Philippines ...

Boy,

I've been looking all around, and I don't know how I missed some of these.

I did catch one or two of them though.

I like the Bayfield, but it has a very heavy, full length, shoal keel. Makes it a nice blue water micro-cruiser, with minimal draft, but I'm not sure that I could get it into some of the places where I would like to go. Wondering if I could beach it on a high tide without damaging the hull?

Will check all your leads, and thank you so much for your help.

G2L
Old 01-07-2011, 22:05   #17

Boat: looking
Re: Taiwan to Philippines ...

G2L,
If you were going to use sheer legs or lean against a structure, the glass from the keel through to the turn of the bilge is pretty thick. The issue if careening would be the gel coat at the turn of the bilge, through freeboard. It was pretty ironic that I found the Bayfield ad, because I considered sailing one from Vancouver to Davao in the mid-90s, just after returning to Canada. A broker I know who specializes in Bayfields talked me out of it & put me into my Cal 3-30, instead. In retrospect, I wouldn't have had the sand to sail a B25 all that way, but it'd be of worthy consideration for around the RP. In fact, if you get more info but decide to pass, please pm me the info, I might get it myself. I don't want to contact the guy until I know your not interested, or he might be less inclined to negotiate with you.
Old 01-07-2011, 23:03   #18

Boat: Roberts, C45 Spray - EDM

Apari is a very basic place to do your initial clearance into the PI.

You will need to cross through the river mouth and proceed about 1 km up river where the larger fishing boats tie up.

Even the locals get this river/sea zone messed up - last year 25 were drowned in 1 ferry capsizing. Most amenieties are in the town - but it is basic, if you need crew etc - Tugarou about 2 hours south is the nearest airport.

I used to live in Aparri - sorry I can not say I miss anything about the place.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:28   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangkaboat View Post
G2L,
If you were going to use sheer legs or lean against a structure, the glass from the keel through to the turn of the bilge is pretty thick. The issue if careening would be the gel coat at the turn of the bilge, through freeboard. It was pretty ironic that I found the Bayfield ad, because I considered sailing one from Vancouver to Davao in the mid-90s, just after returning to Canada. A broker I know who specializes in Bayfields talked me out of it & put me into my Cal 3-30, instead. In retrospect, I wouldn't have had the sand to sail a B25 all that way, but it'd be of worthy consideration for around the RP. In fact, if you get more info but decide to pass, please pm me the info, I might get it myself. I don't want to contact the guy until I know your not interested, or he might be less inclined to negotiate with you.
I appreciate your consideration. PM me and we can talk more.

Regards,

G2L
Old 02-07-2011, 08:46   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepstar View Post
Apari is a very basic place to do your initial clearance into the PI.

You will need to cross through the river mouth and proceed about 1 km up river where the larger fishing boats tie up.

Even the locals get this river/sea zone messed up - last year 25 were drowned in 1 ferry capsizing. Most amenieties are in the town - but it is basic, if you need crew etc - Tugarou about 2 hours south is the nearest airport.

I used to live in Aparri - sorry I can not say I miss anything about the place.
Hi, I was raised close to NY City. It has great port facilities with all of the amenities that one might expect - including a world-renouned baseball team : ). The Hudson River, though well-known for its strong currents, doesn't present much of a challenge, and no ferries have capsized there in recent years. However, I dont miss anything about the place : )

Bottom line is that I have been to Aparri, and, it is the closest PI port of entry relative to Taiwan. Whatever the problems, trailering my boat (if, indeed, I were to buy it) from there to our home in central Luzon makes life a lot easier than it would be if were I to attempt to sail her "the long way down" - around Luzon to Subic during early typhoon season. Even if I were to attempt that, I would still have to trailer the boat home.

I appreciate your concern and your taking the time to write, but I think that I understand Aparri (at least to some extent) and I think that I know (at least partially) what I am up against. My worst fear is not the river, but the customs folks whom I might encounter : )

Thanks for your input and please feel free to comment further. My ears are always open, and my experience tells me that it pays to never UNDER-estimate potential problems - especially in Php.

Best regards,

G2L
Old 19-07-2011, 03:56   #21

Gil,
Great to hear that you're going to do this crossing. I've been wanting to do it for years. Have been living in Taiwan for a few years and it seems like serendipity to see your post as I was just talking about sailing to the N islands of the PI last week.
I'm from California and grew up sailing. Have made trips and deliveries from Vancouver down to So Cal and to Acapulco in Mexico. I have plenty of experience sailing, cooking and worked for a few years sanding, varnishing and restoring boats in Newport Beach, CA.
I live in Taichung, Taiwan now and am on vacation for the next month. I would love to join you. What's your final destination? I have a US passport so entering the PI is visa free for me.
My email is oceanfreewind@gmail.com. Give me an email and let me know your plans.
Jamison
Old 21-07-2011, 11:43   #22

Boat: Catamaran

I recommend the Stiletto Catamaran. I'm planning on relocating full time to the Philippines myself. Send me a message when available.

Regards
Old 21-07-2011, 11:44   #23

Boat: Catamaran

I recommend the Stiletto Catamaran. I'm planning on relocating full time to the Philippines myself. Send me a message when available.

Regards
Old 23-07-2011, 01:43   #24

Thanks folks,

Lots going on right now, and the planned sail down from Taiwan may not happen, at least, not in the immediate future.

PM me for more.

Thanks to all for your replies.

G2L

Tags
Philippines, philippines