Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2009, 13:08   #1
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
S. FL => Panama => Golfito - 4/10

Where? S. Florida to Panama, through the Canal, then to Golfito, CR.

When? Depart FL late March/early April (weather depending, of course)

Why? In order to position the boat in Golfito to pick up a ship to take her to the PacNW. (Might as well have a nice trip and see the Canal in the process, as well as to save some money on shipping costs)

The Boat: a St. Francis 44 sailing catamaran, fully outfitted for ocean crossings.

I'm looking for one, perhaps two, additional competent crew. The boat is quite comfortable with 4 aboard and it certainly makes for easier watches and good sleep. The other crew will include me (2 years liveaboard cruising, Bahamas, E. Coast) and a friend (former Navy skipper, PT boats, and many years of sailing) and possibly another friend (30 year Navy/commercial pilot and long-time sailor).

Expected Route: Departing S. Florida to Matthew Town, Great Inagua. Probably through Bahamas (Bimini, NW Channel, Tongue, Lark or Blossom Channel, Flamingo Cay, Great Inagua), but possibly down Old Bahamas Channel (definitely interested in hearing any informed opinions). From Great Inagua through Windward Passage and then direct to Panama. (Inagua to Cristobal, about 800 nm) Through Canal (possibly a 5 to 7 day wait, during which some crew may depart and others join), then up to Golfito, CR (1 day with good weather).

I'm hoping to make good time to the Canal (not a casual cruise) and, once through, hoping to have some time to casually cruise in the Panama/Golfito area before having to prep the boat for shipping.

We're a collection of easy-going guys in our 50's/60's, all of us love to laugh. None of us are alcoholic; we do enjoy a good sundowner, just never, ever while under way. No Cap't Blighs, but not casual about safety. You can smoke if you want, but not inside the boat. You need to be able to competently stand a watch and know your way with charts, lights, etc. Previous cat experience nice, but not necessary. Looking for sailors, not romance. This is not a "paid" position. We'll split the costs of provisions (we do like to eat well and good chow makes for a happy crew), but all boat costs, fuel, permits, etc. are on me.

Pilot charts suggest that this should be a good time for this passage. Winds F4 - F5 most of the time from E/NE, so we might be using the spinnaker a bit.

As always, I'm interested in any comments on routing, etc.

If interested in joining, please PM, or reply here.

Thanks!

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Old 24-12-2009, 13:14   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Best of luck to you, ID, in your search for crew on your long delivery. If it were possible for me to go, I would be all over this in a heartbeat!

Your decision to make an adventure out of your decision to re-position your vessel where you can more easily (and more often) use it is a great plan, I think. I have no doubt that you and your crew are in for a memorable cruise.

TaoJones
Old 24-12-2009, 17:13   #3
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Sounds nice, is that all you have to wait on the canal now days,some how i thought it was much longer- good luck and have a safe great time-
Old 25-12-2009, 08:02   #4

Boat: Hylas 49, 25 ft O'day Fixed Keel
Panama Passage

I have interest in this adventure. I have been sailing for only a few years but in that time have crossed the Atlantic, gone through the Panama Canal and on to Mexico with a 46 ft sloop. I have 25 years on the ocean but mostly on power boats. I have zero experience sailing a Cat. I am in my mid 50's dont smoke, casual drinker, I know boat systems very well and hold a 50 Ton Capt's license for near shore power boats. I live in Santa Cruz CA. Fishing is my passion and I would hope that we could fish along the way.

my email address is CabezonBD@comcast.net
Old 27-12-2009, 08:35   #5

Just to let you know I am available at a daily rate. U.S.C.G. Captain 200 ton with 100,000 successful mile behind me at a young 46.

daysailc@yahoo.com
Old 28-12-2009, 15:28   #6
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
There's been a lot happen regarding this trip, just this morning. As you know from above, my original plan was to sail down to Panama, through the Canal and then pick up a ship in Golfito for the transit up to the Pacific NW.

I've since learned that the mess at the Canal they saw last April, in which some boats were delayed up to 6 weeks, may very well be repeated this year. One of the agents I talked with down there was most unhappy about the situation last year and was not encouraging about the situation this year. This is a real problem, in that I've got to get through in time to catch the ship. So, I was thinking of moving up the departure date to mid-March.

Well, then this morning, I got an email from the shipping folks offering me a substantial discount on a ship departing Ft. Lauderdale in a few days. Apparently, they have an open spot and are willing to give me a really good deal on it.

So, although I was really looking forward to a nice trip in March/April, I can get the boat up to the NW much quicker and for not much more money. In fact, if I should get stuck at the Canal, this might actually end up saving me some. So, that's what I've decided to do.

So, if I got you all excited. I'm sort of disappointed myself. But, if you should find yourself in the NW, let me know and we'll go for a sail!

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Old 28-12-2009, 15:40   #7
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

That's excellent, ID! You'll save hundreds of miles of ocean-going wear-and-tear on Orca and have her in the PNW all the sooner. The transporter will face some delay at the Canal, as well, I suppose, but better him than you. (I presume he's going that way.)

TaoJones
Old 11-01-2010, 19:57   #8

Boat: 37' Samson, Ferro
ID
Where will you be mooring her in the PNW? I live in Port Townsend on the NE corner of Oly Peninsula. If you come sailing by then make a stop and we'll sample the local brewery. I am USN Reserve, Clearance Diver with EOD. I was going to volunteer for your adventure until I got the post saying you decided to ship. Hope to hear from you.
Marcus

Tags
Panama Canal, Panama