Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2010, 20:23   #1

One Crew - Stockton to LA

I own a parker-dawson 26 center cabin sailboat, and I am planning on sailing south to the LA area from Stockton, Ca. where the boat is now and I am finishing up a general restoration.
I am looking for a crew-member (male or female, this is not a hook-up posting) to accompany me from Stockton, which is about 50 miles inland on the San Joaquin river, and then south to the LA area. I will be staying in LA for a few months, as this is where my family is. I don't know how long I will be staying in LA, but my plan is to continue on to San Diego, where I want to set up residency there on a mooring if possible. If whomever wants to go, they have the option of continuing on to SD.
I am an active 50 year old guy, but I have some neck problems that keep me from going single-handed, and I need someone to work the deck, changing sails etc.I'm not an invalid, but running back and forth from the helm would be difficult. I also promised my girlfriend I would bring somebody.
I am looking for someone who has been on a boat before, but that isn't set in stone. The optimal person would be someone who can think under pressure and is willing to learn. My sailing experience is pretty extensive, but also a bit rusty. I have taken a 26 ft Ranger sailboat from LA to the tip of Baja, and I know how how bad weather can just appear.
The boat has an aft cabin where you can make a space of your own. I have a GPS and allot of safety equipment, including a full harness. The boat has a swing keel that locks, and this is new to me. But the boat has a well running diesel, and the the standing rigging is original but looks ok.
I am not planning to do any night sailing and I want to find a marina for the night wherever I can. I don't want to rush it, and if the weather is questionable, we don't sail. Hopefully this can give you an idea as to what kind of trip this is and my method of progression. I have been caught in some storms in the past, and I do not want a repeat. As this is a bit of a sightseeing cruise to some extent, I will not be too demanding of the crew, unless it gets hairy, then I will get real serious. Safety is first, and the only thing I do not have in that regard is an IPERB or an inflatable life-raft. I do have a dingy though, and I am equipping it similarly to a life-raft, in which to "step-up"into.
We can negotiate as to pay, but I will provide transport to and from your location and the food is on me.
Thanks, Steve
Old 25-04-2010, 13:07   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevevall View Post
I own a parker-dawson 26 center cabin sailboat, and I am planning on sailing south to the LA area from Stockton, Ca. where the boat is now and I am finishing up a general restoration.
I am looking for a crew-member (male or female, this is not a hook-up posting) to accompany me from Stockton, which is about 50 miles inland on the San Joaquin river, and then south to the LA area. I will be staying in LA for a few months, as this is where my family is. I don't know how long I will be staying in LA, but my plan is to continue on to San Diego, where I want to set up residency there on a mooring if possible. If whomever wants to go, they have the option of continuing on to SD.
I am an active 50 year old guy, but I have some neck problems that keep me from going single-handed, and I need someone to work the deck, changing sails etc.I'm not an invalid, but running back and forth from the helm would be difficult. I also promised my girlfriend I would bring somebody.
I am looking for someone who has been on a boat before, but that isn't set in stone. The optimal person would be someone who can think under pressure and is willing to learn. My sailing experience is pretty extensive, but also a bit rusty. I have taken a 26 ft Ranger sailboat from LA to the tip of Baja, and I know how how bad weather can just appear.
The boat has an aft cabin where you can make a space of your own. I have a GPS and allot of safety equipment, including a full harness. The boat has a swing keel that locks, and this is new to me. But the boat has a well running diesel, and the the standing rigging is original but looks ok.
I am not planning to do any night sailing and I want to find a marina for the night wherever I can. I don't want to rush it, and if the weather is questionable, we don't sail. Hopefully this can give you an idea as to what kind of trip this is and my method of progression. I have been caught in some storms in the past, and I do not want a repeat. As this is a bit of a sightseeing cruise to some extent, I will not be too demanding of the crew, unless it gets hairy, then I will get real serious. Safety is first, and the only thing I do not have in that regard is an IPERB or an inflatable life-raft. I do have a dingy though, and I am equipping it similarly to a life-raft, in which to "step-up"into.
We can negotiate as to pay, but I will provide transport to and from your location and the food is on me.
Thanks, Steve
Steve, I'm an experienced by sailor in Oakland and would like to talk with you about crewing. This could be a perfect chance to refresh skills (for us both). Please drop me a line when convenient.
Old 25-04-2010, 13:17   #3

Hi,
My name is Ken and I am available. I will be living in San Diego beginning May 4. Just returning from sailing a boat to Rio Dulce from Isla Mujeres. Be glad to assist. Have reference from last sail.
laubmayer@yahoo.com
Old 25-04-2010, 18:42   #4

little busy to reply. But it seems I have some options. Thanks for emailing back. Just to keep in mind. If you have safety equipment of your own to add to redundancy that would be great.
Old 25-04-2010, 19:18   #5

Boat: Pearson 365 sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevevall View Post
little busy to reply. But it seems I have some options. Thanks for emailing back. Just to keep in mind. If you have safety equipment of your own to add to redundancy that would be great.
Only my personal gear unfortunately. If I had more I'd certainly bring it aboard. On my cruise from SF to San Diego and back the skipper rented one. Let me know if you want me to look into it. Ditto for SF to Monterey/return.
Old 25-04-2010, 19:40   #6

Yea, that is all good. It may seem like I am going overboard, but I have a healthy fear of the ocean and sailing long distances. Anyone interested and applying is encouraged to bring their personal gear. I am looking into a survival suit. They are expensive as you all know. I am only going to buy one. As the Captain, I would probably end up giving it to the crew if needed, as I could not live with that. Be advised, I am a former Los Angeles Police officer. However, what you do is you business. I dont drink any more but for some weird reason I have enjoyed going to bars and watching some people get stupid. I was not your typical police officer, in that I enforced the law, but I never focused on stupid stuff like the insane war on drugs, or stuff like that. In fact, I saw and hated the Fascist mentality that some had and that you were almost taught in the Academy that everyone but you was an Ahole. Seeing it from this side makes it interesting, as I have grown my hair for the past five years, I notice that I am stereotyped and I like to F@@@ with people who treat me as if they are better than me. It has shock allot of the young Police officers, coast guard and other authority figures, who assume one thing when I am another, and it is fun to watch their backpedaling when they find out my ID and realize they could be in touble for their previous actions. I use it as a training tool for them and I hope they remember it. Well, I am off topic,but it gives the prospects out there some more info on me and if they are a hardcore 420 they might want to rethink their desire to go.
That said, being who I am gets me out of trouble, and I am not opposed to the benefits.

Tags
crew wanted, cruise