Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2009, 14:09   #1

Looking to Crew!

Hey guys,

About Me:

Name's Ben. I just graduated Uni with a Business Management major... I guess you could say that in 20 years, I kind of hope I get to be one of those people that "never used their major".

Experience:

Hobiecat 15's at Lake Saranac in New York.

More about me:

I've been interested in sailing for some time now. I love the water, and would love to go cruising for a day or a year. I think that fun and adventure are two imperative parts of life, I'm easy to get along with, and love to be in the sun, wind, and water. I've also been known to pick a song or two on my old gee-tar.

On the other side, I am a very hard worker (references available). I have managed a landscaping crew, done construction, etc.

Physically, I am very athletic. I exercise daily and practice good eating habits, except for the occassional pint of Ben and Jerry's Cookie Dough ice cream, and Doritos (why do they have to be so good!).

I know that the experience can be a turn off, but I am a very quick learner. I would like to be payed, but I understand that the lack of experience could be offsetting...(train for cheap??)

I am looking forward to hearing from some of you salty dogs. Cheers.

Ben

Oh...Im in North Carolina right now, looking to move to San Diego, and my dates of departure are very flexible. I would like to know about a trip at the very least, 2 weeks ahead of time (just enough time to throw all my junk in storage!).
Old 20-05-2009, 01:25   #2

Boat: Radford 40
Hi Surfwanton My family home is Greensboro,North Carolina. Where are you?

I am a solo skipper, 62 years old, that often takes on "volunteer guest/crew" as a pay as you go type thing, usually food and expenses, around $400USD a month depending on crew desires ((marina living or anchorages ) type of trip (passages or day sailing). Crew help with all aspects of operating the boat, including having a say of where and when boat will go.

I am currently in Trinidad hauled out trying to get the boat back up to snuff ;repainting topside/bottom, new radar, wind generator, electronics package, etc

I arrived in Trinidad a month ago after 3 years travel from Australia to Trinidad via the southern route around Africa. During that time I had about 50 of these volunteer crew for periods of a month to 4 months. I can give you refeences from some of these folks if you would like to contact them.

Plans are to cruise here locally (Trinidad ) through July, then either Suriname, Venezuala, Columbia for several months. After that, things are a bit indefinete.

I have a 25 year old guy, friend of a business aquaintance from my former life joining at the end of the month, for an indefinite period, no experience, just a desire to try the life style (a job at Wal Mart does not have much of a hold on him in NC) so you would take the other crew berth.

Juno is a Radford 40, cutter or double headsail sloop depending on how you view such things, with a steel hull and aluminum deck, aft cockpit with a raised deck.

If you are interested, let me know, either here on the forum or at my email tomonjunu@yahoo,com.

Tom