Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2013, 02:05   #1

Looking for Crew Opportunity in South Pacific

Hi, I’m a total newbie to sailing. I’m 29 and have been traveling/working around the world for the last 6 years, and have always had a deep desire to learn how to sail and travel the world on the sea (possibilities seem endless). I grew up in a small coastal town in Oregon, and have always loved the water. Spent time fishing and crabbing off the coast, but never learned to sail. I have never had any issues with seasickness. I’m a PADI divemaster. I've been living in New Zealand for the past 5 months, and have decided to get serious about trying to make the dream happen. I’m currently in Christchurch, NZ doing some remodeling/construction work, but am ready to head north away from the winter. Looking for an opportunity to learn, prove myself, and have some fun. I can meet up in the south pacific (north island of NZ, Tonga, Australia, etc.). I’m in good shape, a hard worker and fast learner, with an easy going positive attitude. I can fly to anywhere and have no time schedule. Also, I am able to contribute to shared costs.
Cheers, Ryan
Old 18-05-2013, 03:17   #2

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane
Re: Looking for Crew Opportunity in South Pacific

Hi Ryan! Before being a crew member, you'll need to learn some fundamentals about sailing. Purchase and study this book: "Sailing Made Easy by The American Sailing Association ASA" (around $22 USD). Nothing beats hands-on actual sailing experience; you will need plenty of that! This is just a start for when you get an offer to become a crew member, you will at least reinforce and practice what you've learned. Learning seamanship is a combination of sailing skills and book knowledge about a variety of topics; navigation, communications, propulsion and electrical troubleshooting, to name a few. While sailing, don't forget to have fun in the meantime; plenty to explore and to have a feast for your senses! Keep us posted on your progress! Good luck! Mauritz
Old 18-05-2013, 16:56   #3

Thanks a bunch, I'll check it out.
ryan
Old 27-05-2013, 15:52   #4

Boat: Farr 1220

We are leaving Sydney for Gizo Solomon Islands in late July early August. We may have a spot if one of the regular crew can't make it, so at this stage just a possibility. The boat is a Farr 1220 seaworthy and properly equipped, we did the trip last year, it is one way taking about two weeks. Contact me by email (use the @ in place of AT) ak AT otcobirdnet.com.au.
Old 26-06-2013, 18:24   #5

Boat: Hunter 50

hi ryan,
are you still looking?
we are in bora bora, fiji and then on to new zealand.
let us know if still available.
thanks,\
grit
Old 07-07-2013, 13:36   #6

Boat: Hunter 50

hi ryan,
can you let us know if you are still available please?
thanks,
grit
Old 07-07-2013, 17:47   #7

Hey Grit, sorry for not responding to your other reply, I didn't see it until I got a notice about the second. I was in Tonga and Fiji for a month and a half crewing on a couple boats, but I just left to Australia. Gonna try my luck getting on a boat going towards Indonesia or something like that. If I was still in the area I would definitely be interested, good luck with your search.
Ryan

Tags
crew