Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2014, 01:27   #1

Fiji to Vanuatu in June, then north to Hawaii

I am currently crewing on a 52 foot fiberglass cutter near Nadi, Fiji. The owner is 45 and I am 34, we're guys originally from California. One other crew is arriving May 30th. She is 20 from South Africa and Germany. We would like to have one more female crew. Everyone will have their own bunk, boat expenses will be paid by the owner, so you only have to pay for your share of food. We need help with provisioning, cooking, cleaning, general boat maintenance and taking turns keeping watch. There will be no drinking alcohol while sailing and we have satellite communications and proper safety equipment. Ideally this would be a one month or longer position but of course it depends on how it goes. He hopes to be in Hawaii by August. If you're interested and can make it to Fiji in a few weeks let us know!
Old 11-05-2014, 10:20   #2

Re: Fiji to Vanuatu in June, then north to Hawaii

Namaste! My name is Carling, I am a 27 year old female from the US. I have been traveling around Australia and Asia for the past 10 months and dream of making my way back to the US by boat. I am currently in Nepal. I have sailed a couple of times, but other than that I do not have much experience. As a climber, I know some knots and I am great at cooking and cleaning. I am a strong and hard worker and I learn very quickly. I have cousins in Hawaii who I would love to meet up with if I am awarded the opportunity.

I do however have a couple of concerns. I am a vegetarian, will this be an issue? Also, I have been sea sick in the past and while I know everyone is different, does it tend to go away after a week?

Lastly, Inhave applied for a couple of jobs back home, so while at the moment I am available to be in Fiji at the end of this month, it is possible I will need to be home quicker than the sailing trip allows.

Please ask me any questions about myself and I hope I can dtermine whether I am a good fit. Thanks for your consideration.
Old 11-05-2014, 21:41   #3

I'm attempting to send you a private message. If it doesn't go through please send me one with your email.
Old 11-05-2014, 21:47   #4

Having a difficulties using this site on an ipod. Please send me your email or try: Nomadstevek….....gmail
Old 12-05-2014, 01:39   #5

Also you can find my post in the Fiji forum on couchsurfing.org

I'll just reply here for now...

Vegetarian no problem, we usually are anyways unless we catch fish and then we can cook it separate.

If you need to fly out of Vanuatu or wherever we are that will be fine. I'm not sure if I will go all the way to Hawaii either, but I know of a great job on the Big Island. Where are your cousins?

As far as sea sickness most people get over it after a few days, from my experience. Some don't though and there's only one way to find out. It won't be too rough for long on the first short crossings and then you'll know before the big crossing to Hawaii.

What state(s) are you from?
Nepal is next on my list after Asia.

Based on what you've said already I would say you're welcome onboard if you want to be! But we can connect on FB or voice first too...

Tags
Fiji, hawaii, Vanuatu