Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2007, 09:43   #16

Boat: Sceptre 41
Sean:

Look at things differently. Here is the idea. You said you don't want to do the delivery because it is not cruising. What about adjusting the price down a little on the delivery if you can take your time on the delivery( and make it into a cruise) then you can have your cake and eat it too. There's more than one way to skin a cat (or a monohull).

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Old 29-05-2007, 09:58   #17
learningcurve

Sean, just curious. Why are you doing the delivery legwork for the customer? Seems to me, if the customer really wants this boat (clearly he does if he's serious about buying a US based boat), *he* should be making the delivery arrangements?

Or do you really need to sell this boat fast?

I would think you could find a buyer in the continental US where trucking logistics are MUCH easier (and cheaper).

Old 29-05-2007, 13:09   #18

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
Kap Ken

I have entered such arrangements in the past, where people have "given " me a boat to use if I looked after it, figuring the boat would be in better condition afterwards than a year or two in storage. Like any arrangement has its pluses and minuses. Make sure costs are carefully detailed beforehane (whao pays if the genset goes terminal?).
And you guys stop trying to talk Sean out of this, I want to do the delivery for him lol
Old 29-05-2007, 15:18   #19

Boat: NONE yet
"I did business in NYC in my past. The boat doesn't go anywhere and no paperwork is completed until the wire for 100% of the cost clears my account."

At least you have enuff sense to not start the delivery if no money ever shows up.
There is two ways can be looked at, either you are skeptical because you, or someone you know has been ripped off. Or living in the USA has made you skeptical of everyone!!! Good Luck
Old 11-06-2007, 06:51   #20

Boat: Hedley Nichol 10mtr Cat
Anything said in Latin sounds profound :

NIL DESPORANDUM CARBORUNDUM

ie: Don't let the barstards grind you down !

Cheers , Jezza
Old 11-06-2007, 14:31   #21
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by charley
"I did business in NYC in my past. The boat doesn't go anywhere and no paperwork is completed until the wire for 100% of the cost clears my account."

At least you have enuff sense to not start the delivery if no money ever shows up.
There is two ways can be looked at, either you are skeptical because you, or someone you know has been ripped off. Or living in the USA has made you skeptical of everyone!!! Good Luck
It's actually both. I've been ripped off more times than I can count on big transactions like this AND living in the USA has made me skeptical of everyone. Double whammy. ha ha

But... the delivery is off for now. This buyer vaporized. Mods, please feel free to delete this thread if it poses no value to the board.
Old 30-08-2007, 05:02   #22

Any professional yacht delivery company should be able to give an inclusive price for the delivery of your boat to OZ as well as advise on any enrty procedures. I know with the latest exchange rates many from OZ have been buying US boats and having them moved down under. I know Reliance Yacht Management have moved a few boats that way this year. CD
Old 20-09-2007, 11:03   #23

Boat: Lagoon 440, Sea Of Love
Relaince will hire anybody with 15,000 oceann miles to deliver a boat. Professional delivery skipper not required. They pay absolutely minimum rates to the capt so he won't buy extra fuel, jack lines, oil change pump, etc. because that all comes out of his pocket and there would be nothing left for him. For example from New Rochelle to BVIs...$6,000 out of which he has to pay for fuel, crew, food and anything else he might think necessary. All Reliance gave him was a coastal lifeboat and a GPS tracking device so they could follow the boat by satellite. not an epirb.
Old 21-09-2007, 00:27   #24

I've met a couple of Reliance Captains, one in St martin and the other in Panama and sounded them out as i was considering applying to them. They were delivering some nice boats and they were pretty happy with their deal. They had their own EPIRBS and GPS. Reliance has provided one with a satphone. I don't recall a tracking system but that sounds like a good idea.
Old 21-09-2007, 05:57   #25

Boat: Lagoon 440, Sea Of Love
Professional skippers would have their own stuff. I guess it is the luck of the draw as to who might be delivering your boat. Could be a pro or somebody looking for a paid ride home who has nothing. He did have a gps and laptop, but that was it. no sat phone.
I heard that a couple of cats being delivered by Reliance were lost in storms over the last year or 2. One was found and the crew picked up by the CG. The other never was found. Might be the difference having a pro onboard versus a pickup capt. This guy I'm taslking about refused to buy jack lines...said if it was to dangerous to go forward and you needed jack lines he wouldn't go. Oh, I don't need an oil change pump. I'll just unscrew the oil filter and turn on the engine and run it till the oil is all pumped out. I did it on my last delivery and it worked out fine. We watched his track and it also gave us battery voltage and it was rarely over 11v. He wouldn't buy any reserve fuel (there wasn't enough money in it for him) so he preferred not to keep the battteries charged any more than not quite dead.