Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2007, 09:43   #1

Boat: Monk 36 (formerly Westsail 32)
CREW WANTED

I'm looking for two crew members to help sail a Westsail 32 from mid coast Maine to the Deltaville area on the Chesapeake. Some prior blue water experience is necessary.

Plan to leave in early September and allow up to 2 weeks for trip.

My vessel is in excellent condition with new engine, rigging, sails and safety equipment.

Don
Old 13-07-2007, 04:38   #2

Hi Don,

Although I'll be unable to help crew due to my schedule (regrettfully), I understand that you keep your boat in Belfast? I'm interested in keeping a boat on a mooring up there for the 2008 season and was anxious to getting your input. I'f I received innacurate information I apologize in advance.

Thanks!
Old 13-07-2007, 05:02   #3

Hi Christian,

Belfast is close to where I live and I do sail in there often. The harbor does have a large mooring field and according to the Harbor Master (Kathy Messier), there are opening for more vessels.

The harbor is not very well protected and those who are living on the moorings sometimes complain of the uncomfortable motion when the winds are from the E, & SE, & NE. There is a strong current there as well during flood and ebb tides.

Saying that, I am not aware of any problems with boats being secure there. The harbor can be reached at 207 338-1142
Old 13-07-2007, 05:32   #4

Thanks for the great information. I spoke to Alex with Balfast Marine and he, as well, thought it would be no problem to secure a mooring through him for 2008. We're not completely married to the idea of Belfast. Are thier other areas that you would suggest in either mid coast or southern Maine that would be more suitable? I appreciate your 'local' knowledge.

Christian
Old 13-07-2007, 09:22   #5

Belfast is a perfect cruisers town. The waterfront is part of this small city we have and everything you need is within a short walk including; laundry, grocery, hardware, pubs and restaurants, clothing, shoe store, theater, library, etc. Every cruiser I have introduced here has loved it and stayed much longer than they had intended.

Rockland would be another good choice that offers many of the same amenities to Belfast. I'm not sure what the mooring situation is there, but I would check it out.
Old 19-07-2007, 12:18   #6

Just thought I would bring this request back on the front page. Still looking for a crew member for a ride from Penobscot Bay to Chesapeake Bay.

Anyone interested????

HERON