Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2014, 15:10   #1

Boat: Vancouver 32 cutter
Chesapeake to Newfoundland

I am sailing my Vancouver 32, Rincewind, from Solomons, MD to Newfoundland, leaving mid-June, 2014. The voyage will go to Prince Edward Island (with stops in Nova Scotia), up the west coast of Newfoundland, a couple of stops in Labrador, and end in Lewisporte on or around August 15, where the boat will over-winter. I am looking for up to 3 crew members at any given time.

Rincewind is a 32 ft., tiller-steered, cutter-rigged sailboat. I have spent previous summers cruising to Nova Scotia (2007), Maine (2008), Bermuda (2011), and the Bay of Fundy/New Brunswick (2012) from Chesapeake Bay.

There are several possible itineraries - based on weather, crew preferences, and schedules. Crew members are welcome for any portion of the trip where a connection is possible. Crew members will be responsible for any land or air travel expenses, but the only expenses on the boat would be a portion of food costs and your personal equipment.

Please send me a pm if you would like more information.

“To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time.”

--Leonard Bernstein
Old 13-02-2014, 16:48   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: Chesapeake to Newfoundland

Great trip, good cruising grounds.

I'm a member of Lewisporte YC. Excellent choice.

Hit Herrington Harbor, Quebec if you can. Great stop.
Old 20-02-2014, 19:27   #3

Boat: Chevrier 36
Hope your plan is developing well and that you are finding the crew you need. My 32 foot Tahitiana is in Labrador and I've spent the last three summers along the LAbrador coast and northern Newfoundland. If I can help at all with local info please let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1844732799.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	76503  
Old 21-02-2014, 07:53   #4

Boat: Tartan 34C

I'd be interested in a 7-10 day portion of the trip, if that would work for you. I've been wanting to sail to/in the Newfoundland/Labrador area, but it is a long way from here!

I own and sail a Tartan 34C in North and South Carolina.

Jim
Old 21-02-2014, 08:11   #5

Boat: Albin Vega 27'

I could be interested in a portion. Grew up on west coast of NL, near Corner Brook. Fished a bit in my younger days. Sailed last year from Port aux Basque to Riviere du Loup with a friend. Should be available for all July and Aug. I spend two or three weeks on the west coat of NL every summer. Would love to get to up the west coast and to Labrador.
Old 21-02-2014, 15:10   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

For anyone here near Annapolis Russ and Alison of SVAdante will be giving a talk about Sailing NL this Wednesday at Facwetts. 7 pm.

Fawcett Boat Supplies Upcoming Events
Old 21-02-2014, 17:53   #7

Boat: CMPF Trisbal 36 / Beneteau Ocenais 510

Hi

Here's a guide to sailing around Lewisport on Notre Dame Bay. In Newfoundland, locations and propel are know by the bay. Bonavista Bay, ,etc. If you contact the yacht club or the chamber directly, you'll likely get the guide free as they were passing them out at the Halifax (Nova Scotia) Boat Show.
Notre Dame Bay Crusing Guide
- Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada
Compiled by Lewisporte and Area Chamber of Commerce

Notre Dame Bay Crusing Guide - Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada Compiled by Lewisporte and Area Chamber of Commerce Newfoundland Books

Lewisporte Yacht Club

In 2010 we sailed up to Nain in Labrador and in 2011 around Newfoundland and home to Nova Scotia. Lots of whales and icebergs. The coast and islands are more interesting in East of St. Anthony and North of St. Lewis in Labrador.

Cruising Guide to the Nova Scotia Coast,
Cruising Guide to Newfoundland,
Cruising Guide to The Labrador,
and the
Cruising Guide to the Gulf of St. Lawrence

Published by Members of
The Cruising Club of America Pilot Press - Cruising Guides to Newfoundland, Labrador, Nova Scotia and the Gulf of St. Lawrence.

My favourite places
On the way by, in Nova Scotia
18th century Fortress Louisbourg -
Taken by British and American forces in 1745 and again in 1758.
Parks Canada - Fortress of Louisbourg National Historic Site - Fortress of Louisbourg National Historic Site of Canada

https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=Fortre...h&z=16&iwloc=A

In Newfoundland, Gros Morne National park
Parks Canada - Gros Morne National Park

https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=lomond...rador&t=h&z=13

Red Bay, Labrador - historic site - Basque Whaling site
Parks Canada - Red Bay National Historic Site
https://www.google.ca/mapmaker?q=Red...t=large_map_v3

Battle Harbour - the old capital of Labrador, buildings preserved, tours, interpretations, all on a 20 acre island.
Battle Harbour | Situated on a small, near-shore island, Battle Harbour was for two centuries the economic and social centre of the southeastern Labrador coast and known as the
https://www.google.ca/mapmaker?gw=12...t=large_map_v3

An if you make it to the top of Labrador, the Torngat Mountains National Park (polar bear country) As high as many of the Rocky Mountains, but at sea level!
Parks Canada - Torngat Mountains National Park

https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=Tornga...=h&z=8&iwloc=A

Parks Canada - Torngat Mountains National Park - Natural Wonders & Cultural Treasures
Old 22-02-2014, 19:29   #8

Hi Bill,
Sounds like a great trip. I've got plans to cruise with a friend from Middle River to NYC and back in late June to early July, but I'd be interested in doing a section from somewhere in Maine.
I've cruised extensively on the Bay, done the BOR and A2N races and cruised from both Newport and NYC back to Annapolis on various boats. I teach basic sailing on the Potomac and race in both Solomons and Annapolis regularly.
I might also bring one of my gf's who is from Maine and might find us shore support at a couple of spots if this works out for everyone.
I'm happy to fill in whatever else you might like to know and would be happy to meet in Solomons or Annapolis when I'm over that way.
Regards,
John

Tags
newfoundland