Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2015, 07:22   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to mike528
Boat owners / skippers behaviour

Boat owners / skippers are publishing here and on other web sites looking for crew.
"Crew positions". But when a potential crew is responding , according to my experience in most cases there is no reply from the searching party at all.

I think that when a owner/skipper is posting a possible position he should Be also prepared and it would be polite to answer to people which responded to their ad.

Any response like. Not interested , not available , postponed sailing
any answer would be polite and would be an answer.
Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 13-06-2015, 17:12   #2

Boat: OPB (Other Peoples Boats)
Send a message via Skype™ to softgoodsint
Re: Boat owners / skippers behaviour

Hey Mike, just to "chime in" with my complete agreement. I believe it's a civilization wide epidemic, like many (thankfully, not all of us) have "caught ADD" with an equal dose of rudeness. It's not just in the sailing forum, I get business inquiries, some of the replies that take several hours to prepare consulting quotations in response, and sent it back overnight certified etc. and if the price isn't what they wanted, won't even answer their phone. Heck, I even flew to a customer location to make a presentation once, and they wouldn't return my calls (wasted a grand). It's like if it's not exactly what they need, forget them even having the common courtesy to say "thanks anyway".
Well, I could live with that just fine, but what really frosted me was a posting by a couple of guys for help with a passage from FL to Belize, for which I had a suitable CV. They needed (or so I understood) an alert watch overnight to avoid hitting unlit and unmarked, abandoned oil platforms in the Gulf (probably while they drank beer). Well, I, along with a handful of other guys replied to their post, with no reply from them, not until a gal replied with "have no experience, but am attractive 25 year old - looking for adventure" - well, barely seconds passed before the reply "come aboard my dear, and quickly, please - we're ready for you" (not word for word, of course). So that sure failed the "creepiness test" in my assessment. (I sure hope it went OK for her).
So some postings lack the full disclosure that they ought to have. I think many postings should include the following: "Will not bother to reply unless I/we really need something from you". My experience was something like that. The captain should have included the following: "will expect crew to pay all food and meals ashore expenses, including the captains share. Also, any immigration and some other boat expenses, traditionally borne by the boat captain. Also, crew to pay all satellite phone & data charges ($1200) for captain and weather downloads (& still complain about how difficult and slow the internet & email was).
So I'm off on a soapbox (sorry), but yes, it can be pretty obnoxious at times, but then again, that's why it's so delightful to experience the 95%+ of the folks in our community that are so thoughtful and warm the rest of the time. I still love to spend my Sundays with coffee and browse the "crews wanted". I've replied to about a dozen, over half with reasonable replies, usually "already have enough crew" or other sensible responses. One of these was a suitable match and was an absolute adventure (good and bad) that I'm really glad I did go on, and two more in the tentative planning stages. So I have to say CF is the best fun I can have, short of actually being on the water (am working on it).
Old 13-06-2015, 17:39   #3

Boat: Various

As softgoods points out many of the solicitations are bogus in one way or another. Feel lucky to be ignored. The ones in trouble are those they select, whether girls they intend to impose more than crewing upon, or inexperienced they intend to take advantage of by not paying as promised or kicking off boat half way through the trip.

However, those responding to these ads carry the same risks with them. Those claiming experience who have none. Those who have alcohol or drug problems. Those who may or may not show up.

Everyone just needs to proceed with great caution and do their due diligence.
Old 14-06-2015, 02:14   #4

Agreed, Mike.

I replied to an ad but despite them having time to post other ads later, they haven't replied to my message. I suspect the ad I replied to was out of date but in that case they should have removed/edited it long ago.

Of course, there is often a reason for not replying, but that can't be true for everybody who doesn't bother. Maybe people just don't care if they don't give or receive replies - what an odd way of getting through life, eh?
Old 14-06-2015, 09:10   #5

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete P View Post
Agreed, Mike.

I replied to an ad but despite them having time to post other ads later, they haven't replied to my message. I suspect the ad I replied to was out of date but in that case they should have removed/edited it long ago.

Of course, there is often a reason for not replying, but that can't be true for everybody who doesn't bother. Maybe people just don't care if they don't give or receive replies - what an odd way of getting through life, eh?
A change I've noticed in the last 20 years in business and job applications. At one time, if you applied you were either interviewed or sent a Dear John type letter saying other candidates who better matched the requirements or something of that nature. Now with the hundreds of applications businesses receive, most send no replies. A few send a reply acknowledging receipt of your application or resume, telling you they will not be sending you anything further unless you're selected for an interview, and telling you how long they will keep your application on file.

We see the same in social arenas. RSVP is a great example. At one time it was interpreted as a request to respond, as "Please Reply". However, it's become far more common for people to interpret it as "Reply if you're coming." This is true even on personal things like wedding invitations where having an accurate count of those coming is very important. Most people then have to spend hours and hours calling to follow up and finding out if people are coming or they'll have surprises that can't be handled at the reception. Even then they'll have some "no shows" who fail to inform them while they incur a $20-$100 food charge for that no show. (We didn't have that problem as we got married in Vegas and only invited three people and they were there).

Tags
skipper