Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2015, 08:30   #1

Boat: Pacific Seacraft,Cutter, 40
Send a message via Skype™ to childsplayll
Bahamas/Gulf Stream/BeaufortNC/ICW

Looking for 1-2 people, gender neutral, with some sailing experience to join me and a male friend sailing my Pacific Seacraft 40 from Marsh Harbor, Abacos to Beaufort, NC. 500 miles and about 4 days. I will be using Chris Parker to provide weather routing and although I am targeting 4/24-4/27 as a departure window we will leave when it is safe to leave. My wife is flying home on 4/22 so you are welcome to join me after that date. The sailing experience is less important than a good attitude and flexibility in adapting to situations. We will share all sailing and ship duties however I have no culinary skills whatsoever so be warned. We will share provisioning expenses but you are responsible for your travel. From Beaufort, you can catch a plane in New Bern, NC or if we are still speaking to each other you can join me as I travel along the ICW via the Dismal Swamp (depth permitting ) to reach Norfolk where there is another airport. The ICW portion will take about 10 days. My friend is disembarking in Beaufort. I am continuing to the Chesapeake.

Non-smokers only; alcohol is allowed but excess is not a good idea as it contributes to seasickness.

Life is all about memories. I appreciate your interest in creating positive ones for yourself and others.

Dan
Old 16-03-2015, 18:08   #2

Boat: 'Another Adventure'; Gulfstar 44; Homeport, Marion, MA
Re: Bahamas/Gulf Stream/BeaufortNC/ICW

Childsplay II; s/v 'Another Adventure', a Gulfstar44 from Marion, MA, will also be heading north from the Abacos to Wrightsville Beach or Beaufort around the same time as your planned departure. I plan to be in Marsh Harbour area around April 17th collecting guests. It would be interesting to meet you.
Old 17-03-2015, 18:03   #3

Hi john,

Happy to connect with you in marsh harbor and to discuss plans and sail in tandem if it works out and you are interested. I am looking for crew solely to allow me more sleep time not because I need professional help which seems to be the nature of most of the replies to my post.
Currently in Titusville and hope to cross to west end next week weather permitting.fyi, started sailing in mattapoisett so I know buzzards bay very well...now primarily sail in Maine.

Dan

Email me at djheitzman@msn.com
Old 18-03-2015, 15:25   #4
CMH

Boat: Irwin 65, center console, owner’s version

Hi Dan,
I may not have the experience you're looking for, but I'm interested in joining you on your trip (I have read both your posts).
I'm US Sailing Bare Boat and Coastal Navigation Certified having earned these certs in the san francisco Bay - although it's been a year since I've been on the water. All of my experience is on mono hulls up to 45 ft in length and with just one trip (as crew) outside the "gate" for a two day trip down the coast a bit. I'm a fit and young able-bodied 56 year old non-smoking, social drinking, gainfully employed civil engineer.
I probably wouldn't be able to continue on with you along the ICW.
Thank you for your consideration!
Chris
Old 18-03-2015, 19:02   #5

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your interest.

I am currently speaking with a couple of earlier respondents with more experience and will let you know if they do not work out. You are willing to incur the travel costs from SF?

Thank you,

Dan
Old 19-03-2015, 17:42   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by childsplayll View Post
Looking for 1-2 people, gender neutral, with some sailing experience to join me and a male friend sailing my Pacific Seacraft 40 from Marsh Harbor, Abacos to Beaufort, NC. 500 miles and about 4 days. I will be using Chris Parker to provide weather routing and although I am targeting 4/24-4/27 as a departure window we will leave when it is safe to leave. My wife is flying home on 4/22 so you are welcome to join me after that date. The sailing experience is less important than a good attitude and flexibility in adapting to situations. We will share all sailing and ship duties however I have no culinary skills whatsoever so be warned. We will share provisioning expenses but you are responsible for your travel. From Beaufort, you can catch a plane in New Bern, NC or if we are still speaking to each other you can join me as I travel along the ICW via the Dismal Swamp (depth permitting ) to reach Norfolk where there is another airport. The ICW portion will take about 10 days. My friend is disembarking in Beaufort. I am continuing to the Chesapeake.

Non-smokers only; alcohol is allowed but excess is not a good idea as it contributes to seasickness.

Life is all about memories. I appreciate your interest in creating positive ones for yourself and others.

Dan

St

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 19-03-2015, 17:43   #7

Xf

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 20-03-2015, 08:29   #8

Boat: 31' Hunter

It looks like you may have found your crew but I wanted to share our info in case it didn't work out for you. Here is a clip from my profile on another site. We may be able to help.

My husband and I owned a 31' Hunter and had to sell this year due to an employment change for my husband. Prior to that, we owned a Catalina 22'. We have experience of 6 seasons on the water in Narragansett Bay RI and hope to increase our skills by crewing on short term voyages (1-7 day passages or deliveries). Longer voyages may be possible after September 2015. We hope to gain experience with off shore and coastal cruising since our experience till now has been limited to bay sailing.

We are both non smokers, competent, reliable and ready to assist with all aspects of sailing, cooking, and maintenance while on board and look forward to gaining as much knowledge as possible. We are pleasant and agreeable and have no physical limitations.

I am also available as a single crew and for that, the ideal situation would be to crew on a boat with an experienced couple or with other women sailors aboard.
Old 20-03-2015, 11:27   #9

Hi.....thank you for your interest. However, we clearly speak a different language. I have sign on my boat that states this is a cell phone free zone.
Best, dan
Old 20-03-2015, 11:30   #10

Hi
Ok. You are on deck if the other crew does not work out.
Thank you for you interest.
Dan
Old 20-03-2015, 12:16   #11

Boat: 31' Hunter

Great! Thanks!
Old 27-03-2015, 13:06   #12

Quote:
Hi Chris,

Thank you for your interest.

I am currently speaking with a couple of earlier respondents with more experience and will let you know if they do not work out. You are willing to incur the travel costs from SF?

Thank you,

Dan
Hi Chris,

Please email me at djheitzman@msn.com if you are still interested and we will set up a time to speak on the phone and discuss details.

Best,

Dan
Old 31-03-2015, 11:25   #13

Quote:

Dan
Dan
Tim powers here. I am a retired firefighter and have sailed 40 years (age 59). I bring to the table strong navigation skills, emergency medical capabilities, good helmsman, and ability to adapt to get the voyage safely complete. I have skippered a 40 foot bruce roberts which has recently relocated. In my youth the bow was my strong suit and I still do a damn fine job. am open for a period and some salt water would be good contact tinjpowers at mike charlie helo serria india da commm
Old 01-04-2015, 02:12   #14

Not sure on your flexibility on departure dates but if you can push it back to mid may I'll be ready to go. I've done the open water crossing you are talking about once before and wouldn't mind taking the ride all the way back to nap town if you plan on making that far. If possible me and the gf would come we are both in our 30's experienced sailors and more than capable of running watch, cooking, and just about anything else needed during the journey.

Tags
Bahamas, beaufort, gulf stream, icw