Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2011, 05:18   #1

Boat: Amel Maramu 1978 46'
Around-the-World Sailing

Hello again, Stefano here. My wife says that I need to loos'n up, so here goes.
We are the proud owners of an Amel Maramu ocean prepared. Looking for crew members form mid June 2011 untill....who can; 1. pay their own way, 2. give a hand when needed, 3. be patient with a multilingual and aged group.
Most of the crew members are Italians. My wife, (the lady who gives the orders, she told me to say that) is American. Most crew members chew a bit of English. I myself, in the heat of the moment, tend to forget, but I will try my best! If you can understand... plias giva mia u coka... then there will be no problems!!!
We will be stopping in Croatia, the Southern tip of Italy, the Eolian Islands, the Southern tip of Sardegnia, the Balearic islands (August), then moving onto the Canaries waiting for the "weather window" for the Atlantic crossing in Novembre. Hopefully arriving in the Caribean around Christmas.
Signing off, Stefano
Old 14-05-2011, 06:30   #2

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Re: AROUND THE WORLD SAILING

Welcome Stefano,
Hope you get the crew required and trust you have a good trip. I've always viewed the Maramu as the ultimate cruiser machine - so you've certainly got the right boat. Enjoy.
JOHN
Old 16-05-2011, 08:56   #3

Re: Around the World Sailing

Timing is right for me to consider sailing with you. What would the expenses likely be and what would be my bunk arrangements on the maramu? I lived on a saiboat for three years and have thousands of mile of off and on shore experience.
Old 16-05-2011, 11:18   #4

Hello Cangelozzi, The name sounds a bit Italian? Stefano is on the boat doing the details. I'm Barbara his mate. The expenses run according to your stay on the boat. The longer you stay, the less you pay. Plus some of the routes, let's say for example, in the Balearic Islands, where the sailing is slower, (we will log only 20-25 nm daily), and more vacation like, are more expensive. To give you an idea, I would need to know when you intend to come on board. The least would be 20€ daily. As a sailboat owner yoursel, (by the way, what boat do you have?) you know that maintaining a boat can be an open well. We ask our crew members to at least pay for what they consume.
On our boat we have a cabin in "poppa" and a cabin in "prua" and 3 beds in the dinette area. (Sorry, but I don't know the terms for the nose and back). The Maramu is a boat built on different criteria with respect to newer boats. You won't find coffins for sleeping areas. The beds are mostly standard singles, with plenty of head room and storage space. Your sleeping arrangements would be accordingly to the amount you pay, the time period and arrangements with other crew members.
Where have you sailed? What were the places that you liked the best, and the least?
Any more questions, feel free. Barbara
Old 19-05-2011, 15:36   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to Kevinito

Hey Stefano and Barbara,

probably an early reply, but i am planning to cross the pacific in 2012. so how long do you plan on staying in the caribbean and when do you plan on crossing the pacific. Because i am looking for a boat to join?

Good luck on your voyage to the caribbean, i am chilling in curacao for now

kevin
Old 19-05-2011, 22:49   #6

How long??? That's a good question. As long as we like it seems like a flip answer, but we move with total freedom, no timetables or deadlines. But, doubt very much that in 2012 we will be the Pacific. I will keepp posting on this site, so keep a look out. Barbara
Old 20-05-2011, 14:46   #7

Boat: Jeanneau 45DS Sun Odyssey-"EzkapA"
Angry Re: Around the World Sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maramu 46 View Post
Hello again, Stefano here. My wife says that I need to loos'n up, so here goes.
We are the proud owners of an Amel Maramu ocean prepared. Looking for crew members form mid June 2011 untill....who can; 1. pay their own way, 2. give a hand when needed, 3. be patient with a multilingual and aged group.
Most of the crew members are Italians. My wife, (the lady who gives the orders, she told me to say that) is American. Most crew members chew a bit of English. I myself, in the heat of the moment, tend to forget, but I will try my best! If you can understand... plias giva mia u coka... then there will be no problems!!!
We will be stopping in Croatia, the Southern tip of Italy, the Eolian Islands, the Southern tip of Sardegnia, the Balearic islands (August), then moving onto the Canaries waiting for the "weather window" for the Atlantic crossing in Novembre. Hopefully arriving in the Caribean around Christmas.
Signing off, Stefano

I would be interested, even tho the closest I have to italian is german however I am pretty good at spanish in a limited way, have my own boat in florida, just completed a delivery from BVI with one other crew. Would like to discuss travel dates.
Old 20-05-2011, 22:15   #8

Okay, Here is our schedule;
June/July - Croatia
July - Italian coast/ Eolian Islands/ Ustica/ Southern coast Sardegnia
August - Mallorca/ Menorca/ Crazy Ibiza/ Formentera
September until begining of November - Open sailing/ making our way to Las Palmas Canary Islands
Mid November - Making the Atlantic passage but stopping on the way to visit Capo Verde - arriving Southern Caribeean sometime before Christmas

I am American, learned sailing in Italy and France, so not too keen on sailing terms in English, but happy to learn. We run a bed and breakfast here in our city, so my mate (Stefano) is able to get by with English. Most other crew members have poked their noses outside of Italy, so most speak fluent English. Knowing German is good, but far different than Italian.
As I tell all possible crew members, take a look at facebook under my name (Barbara Stringfellow Vicenza) to see pics of the boat and us and some background info. Barbara
Old 26-05-2011, 16:22   #9

Boat: Jeanneau 45DS Sun Odyssey-"EzkapA"

Hi Chery again, I looked at my schedule and have a couple conflicts in November and December. Alas I cannot come along. Have a fantastic trip!!!!
Old 08-06-2011, 18:46   #10

Good day stefano and Barbara, my name is mike and this is the trip I'm looking for. I live in San Diego and have been sailing all my life. If you would like I can send you my sailing exp via email. I speak English and am trying to learn Italian via Rosetta stone. I've done 2 east to west passages and many many miles coastal. You can email me at mmooreim1 at yahoo dot com to further correspond. Im a marine engineer by trade and can fix anything on the vessel with emphasis on electrical and electronics. I would be interested in the whole way to cut my expenses as I'm on a very tight budget.
Old 08-06-2011, 19:01   #11

Send a message via Skype™ to rokosanchez

Hello! I am in Mexico and will finish a couple asistantships at the university in December. I have never sailed, but I have allways wanted to. It would be great if I could join you guys in decemer around the caribean. I speak a little french and perfect english. I loove multicultural experiences and much more the ocean. Also I would be glad to pay for mayself whatever share is needed.
Well, Good Luck
Greetings
Rodrigo
Old 09-06-2011, 08:50   #12

Boat: Moody, CC, 36'

Greetings Stefano and Barbara! I am very interested in speaking with you and possibly jumping aboard from July 2nd until mid-late August. My name is Jonathan and I live in New York City. I'm an assistant principal at a high school but my passion lies in sailing. I can fund my way while aboard Amel Maramu. Please check out my profile on findacrew.net. Crew Member 155061, 34, male, currently living in United States Let me know if you have interest.

Hope to hear from you real soon,
- Jonathan
Old 11-06-2011, 21:41   #13

Hello there sailors,i m george,from greece.I ve spent some 15 years in UK before i decide to buy a boat and sail south again.Having lived onboard florina,a B31 for the last 6 years sailing from Dover to the Med,i was sad to have to sell her in mallorca few months back.I d love to join a smooth boat that is in no rush ,with people who want to enjoy what they find on the way.and you seem to me to be this kind.
anyways,i speak english ,greek,spanish ,and i ve made my way through france with my minimal french ,(as far as nautical terms and port authority stuff goes ,i manage.)..
I am a RYA ICC holder ,and i can contribute with local knowledge in the balearics as i stayed there almost 3 years ,but also with the coast of spain towards gibraltar and further ,all the way to algarve.I can bring with me all my pilot books and my maxsea charts,if needed as a backup.
I am not limited by time,or distance.I can go as far as you need me to ,and for as long as its needed.Obviously you will have to pay for these services a small charge,of one million dollars....
ok seriously now,if you think i am someone who you might be happy to share the fun and the thrills with ,please let me know.
in any case,my best wishes for fair winds ,and calm seas .!!
Old 17-07-2011, 13:43   #14

Still need anyone?
Old 18-07-2011, 22:37   #15

Good Day to All,
The boat has finished the 1st leg of the journey having sailed Croatia, Montenegro, Albania and Corfu. No major problems. On the 11th of July we had an official crew change, presently with 4 on board; 2 Italians, 1 Brit and 1 American.
Shortely, we will have another crew change, and until the 14th of August, we are completely full, 10 in all. Will be Island Hopping in Mallorca, Menorca and the Archipelago of Cabrera, then onto the Spanish coast towards the Straight of Gibilterra, passing around the 12th of September.
Anyone wishing to come a board is free to do so after the 14th of August. Possible port to meet would be Palma of Mallorca. And just a reminder, the costs is 20€ daily plus division of daily food and gas costs.
Passo, Barbara

Tags
sailing, round the world