Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2013, 03:12   #1

A few questions...as well as Canada to Hawaii to NZ

Hello Everyone,

Being relatively new to this site, I am posting a few questions here knowing that there might be a better place elsewhere to post.

My sailing experience is slim at moment, having sailed (with experienced folks) on both the Georgia Strait/Puget Sound/Salish Sea (depending who you talk to) out in British Columbia and some in Lake Ontario. The water was never too rough. In fact I experienced rougher weather while on a ferry of all places in the Hauraki Gulf, North Island NZ.

Although I am aware of sounding naive and a romantic, but the sea interests me greatly and I want to spend more time with her and gain more experience aboard. But, I suppose, that is how it all begins- feeling the call.

My goal (and this is where my question comes to all you salty dogs out there) is to crew from Canada's west coast to Hawaii and from there make my way to New Zealand. I know, a very long journey.

A few questions. Are there any folks out there who would consider taking on someone for this kind of journey with my kind of experience? I am asking both in a particular sense but also a general, hypothethetical sense.

Second question, when is the best time to leave from the west coast?

Looking forward to hearing what this post stirs up.

Joleen
Old 15-01-2013, 17:16   #2

Boat: In Between
Re: A few questions...as well as Canada to Hawaii to NZ

Joleen, Keep Checking the site, people will start moving south in the spring. Also, get down on the docks and in the yacht clubs and out on the water, the best way is to meet people in person.
Hope that helps a bit.
~Steve
Old 15-01-2013, 17:33   #3

Boat: hunter 376
Re: A few questions...as well as Canada to Hawaii to NZ

All the best Joleen, there are always people looking for crew. BTW, the "Salish Sea" was officially adopted as a place-name not to many years ago in BC, and it encompasses Georgia Strait and parts of Puget Sound, but doesn't replace them. I don't recall the exact boundaries. Coast Salish describes a cultural unity among first nations tribes along BCs coast.

Tags
Canada, hawaii