Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats) > Classifieds Archive
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2016, 17:14   #16

Boat: Mason 53
Re: Want to Buy 44' to 48' bluewate cutter rigged monohull

G'day, Mate. I have a Mason 53 available here in New Zealand that meets most of your requirements. The 6'8" draft isn't too far off your mark. I have pics in my album on my profile page. Send me a PM if you want to discuss further. All the best with the search. Cheers.
Old 10-01-2016, 21:53   #17

Boat: morgan 462

Have a look at the Morgan 462. A bit older but sturdy and worth the upgrade.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:03   #18

Boat: Lagoon 39

Thanks for all the input from fellow sailors. Much appreciated.

Another model we like is Caliber 47 LRC SE or 47 LRC might do. This boat seems to meet all our expectations (see OP but shortened list is mid-cockpit, shoal draft, good headroom, center-line berth, great ground tackle systems) if only we can find one within our budget. ARGH! Sailboat reviewers in popular sailing magazines give us hope that these boats are within our budget. Really like access to systmes, chainplates, seawater closet concept, roll-out genset (pretty cool) and various ways the hull is constructed. Fiberglass tankage is also a favorite. Caliber's 40 LRC is a great boat but a tad small for our needs.

Amel Super Miramau is a terrific boat, and would make a pretty cool cruising home. Also and comes close to our expectations. Unfortunately, we just cann't make the helm work for us (Captain is 6' 5".

Pacific Seacraft 44, IMHO is a well designed and constructed boat, however it doesn't come in a center-line berth nor mid-cockpit, otherwise it would be a winner for us. Darn!

I'm finding Island Packets are designed in a manner that major surgery is required to refit the chainplates which the factory recommends after 15-20 yrs. Second challenge is tankage - water, fuel and holding, IP chose not us fiberglass (e.g. Caliber, Pacific Seacraft, Gulfstar and others did and now finally IP does too.) From talking with boat yard personnel they are now seeing a steady stream of IPs come in form refit tankage (e.gs 420s, 45s 40s ect) The cost to refit these problems can run $35K to $45,000 and two to three months in the yard. Access to systems is difficult in many cases and near impossible for genset, seacocks, bilge pump, refrigeration compressors etc. Darn because I really like how these boat handle in lumpy seas and gusty winds.

Hylas 46 is another good option for us, but having trouble finding one in reasonable condition and within budget. The ones we've come across have been badly neglected, while others have unrealistic price. Hopefully we find a serious seller who is taking care of their boat.

This post provides a lot of fodder for discussion. Pull up a chair to the banquet table and feast awhile!
Old 13-01-2016, 15:10   #19

Boat: CSY 44 Walkthrough

CSY 44 Walkthrough in South Florida.... nothing more to say!
Taking a break | S/V Eleuthera II

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/sail...board-hull.jpg
Old 17-01-2016, 07:43   #20

Boat: Vindo 45 34ft Swedish built boat

I sailed some of those boats, I ended up buying this one and redoing the forward cabin as I liked the IP 45 and the J160 forward port side birth. This boat is kinda in between the two and is now for sale. Check the listing for the Aluminum 47 Gary Mull design in the forum. I have had a lot of tall crew on this boat.
Old 18-01-2016, 09:02   #21

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

We had a Ted Brewer designed Whitby 42 - center cockpit, good headroom (but not sure about 6'5"), excellent liveaboard, ketch-rig, super engine room, etc. I think the Brewer 44s are similar. We loved our Whitby. Very stout and comfortable. Enormous tankage and storage. Brewers may have less tankage? Not the fastest boat out there and a cutter would be different. We have a cutter now so understand your desires. We loved our center cockpit and don't buy all the opinions about them being wetter or too much motion. When I got seasick I preferred to stay in the cockpit. It becomes more of a "living room" than an aft cockpit does. Our current boat is a hybrid as the stern has been extended 4' so that is a compromise.

IPs are excellent boats if you like the designs. Tayanas are nice too. You just want to get any boat in good sound condition. You're going to be to be very, very lucky to get what you want for less than 150k and maybe much higher, even older boats.

Good luck.
Old 18-01-2016, 09:41   #22

exMaggieDrum - we've heard good things about the Whitby 42, and understand many folks have found this to be a good solution for their cruising. In our case they tend to be a tad to tight for our needs.

Our budget including refit is upto $300k, less if we are lucky.
Old 18-01-2016, 09:42   #23

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by faa50 View Post
exMaggieDrum - we've heard good things about the Whitby 42, and understand many folks have found this to be a good solution for their cruising. In our case they tend to be a tad to tight for our needs.

Our budget including refit is upto $300k, less if we are lucky.
You'll find something to suit.
Old 19-01-2016, 08:42   #24

Re: Want to Buy 44' to 48' bluewater cutter rigged monohull

If you are an owner of a late model (1980-2005) well maintained, bluewater, cutter rigged cruising sailboat and find yourself wanting to sale, we'd love to hear from you. Wife and I are serious buyers ready to buy. Lets save the 10% broker's commission and do a deal!

Here is a short list of hull models we have a strong interest: Tayana 47/48, Caliber 47, Island Packet 420 & 45, Cabo Rico 44, Pacific Seacraft 44, Bristol 47, Irwin MKII 46 & 52, Gulfstar 43 & 47&50 Sailmasters, Northwind 44, Kelly Petterson 46.

We require a shoal draft, not to exceed 6' at cruising weight - preference is closer to 5'. Mid-cockpit is ideal but will consider aft. Cutter rig with all lines leading to cockpit.

We plan cruising off the grid for long periods, so equipment that enables self-sufficiency such as solar, wind and watermaker is high on our criteria list.
Old 19-01-2016, 10:08   #25

I have a 1980 Bristol 45.5 for sale in RI. I am only the second owner. It is an art cockpit model. Great boat and good for short handed sailing.
Old 19-01-2016, 10:22   #26

Goodnumbers64 - sent you a PM.
Old 19-01-2016, 10:30   #27

Boat: Nordhavn 46, 46'

Look at this Moody 46. I have no financial or any other interest except I own a sister ship. This boat would fit your needs except for possible interior height.

2000 Moody Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 19-01-2016, 10:49   #28

Appreciate your post. We previously viewed this listing. I agree this Moody 46 fits nearly all of our criteria. Why we passed on this boat is due to the damage it sustained during Sandy in 2012. We've learned from experience that damage of this sort can take years to show up. For instance, we recently inspected an Island Packet 45 which sustained similar damage and found that its three bulkheads were impacted to the point cabin doors no longer closed properly. A close inspection revealed the reason.
Old 19-01-2016, 11:17   #29

Boat: Nordhavn 46, 46'

I can understand your apprehension. I would feel the same.

A knowledgeable inspection could resolve the issue, but unless you are close to the location, it might not be worth the trip and effort to look her over. If you could look at her without much of a hassle or expense, you might have leverage to get a good deal.

Anyway, good luck and keep looking. Lots of boats out there.
Old 19-01-2016, 11:46   #30

Totally agree. If we were close, I'd take the time and make the effort to personally inspect the boat. Unfortunately, that's not the case.

The IP45 I referenced before cost us nearly $2k (survey fees, haul-out and travel expense) to confirm our suspicions derived from our initial inspection. We took the gamble in surveying the boat as we had negotiated an attractive price. It was a gamble that didn't pay-off in our purchasing the boat. Yeap, we learned some things we can use going forward in our search, but if I had it to do over, I'd pull the plug on considering this vessel.

Early in our search, we located an Island Packet 420 and identified in our initial inspection that it had experienced significant hurricane damage while moored in Louisiana (the boat has since relocated to Florida and the hull painted navy blue - that was my first clue.) Water damage to the sole teak and bottom of the forward bulkhead were additional clues. The owner and broker did not disclose this damage. The IP 420 is still for sale a year later. The owner is changing brokers and we have since learned the new listing broker was informed of the damage. We also were informed the boat was struck by lighting knocking out the electronics. The ask price dropped during the past year $60K yet everyone seems to be staying away.

Tags
cutter, hull, monohull