Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2010, 04:13   #1

Steel, Gaff Cutter-Rigged 'Spray' - 38' Fully-Fitted Cruising Boat

Hi

I have finally decided it is time to part with my pride and joy, a 'Spray' 38 called 'Josh'.

Josh is a traditional Gaff Cutter Rigged Spray of 38' length and 14' beam.

Built as a serious ocean capable cruising boat and launched in 1998, she has been laid out to give the most amount of practical living space possible for a couple.

The steel hull was shot blasted and epoxied from new prior to at least six coats of 2 pack paint on the hull and topsides.
Steel is the material of choice for world cruising vessels as it is easy to get repaired almost anywhere unlike GRP.

The entire boat has been kept to an extremely high standard. All woodwork is Iroco with the exception of the Douglass Fir Mast Gaff and Boom. With her traditional looks and tan sails she really is a picture.

At he heart of the interior of Josh is the Rayburn stove. This diesel fired beauty provides all the heat you could ever need and also incorperates a back boiler for hot water. Coupled with a tank and domestic pumped central heating system with radiators, this results in a very cosy boat indeed.
Particular attention was paid at the build stage on creating a comfortable environment to live in in even the harshest conditions, so there is a minimum of 4" of insulation everywhere in the boat except the bilges.

The basic layout is one of a large aft full width double cabin with standard double bed and masses of wardrobe space, an open saloon and galley area incorperating a full Nav' station, a dinette which can be converted into a guest double and a forward bathroom. Yes you read that bit right, Josh has a full sized domestic bath forward, along with heads, sink and washing machine.

She is powered by a trusty 6 cylinder Perkins lump of 120Hp which will push her along at around 8 Knots, and she will acheive about the same under sail. Not fast, but at 14' beam she was never going to be. Like I said he is a cruising boat and not a lightweight racer!

The diesel tanks are 150L each and the water tank is 300L.

There is a bank of 5 110Ah batteries which is enough for the most demanding electrical needs, and also a charger and shore power hook up.

The navigation equipment all works but is quite old now. I would imagine any buyer would look to replace this equipment anyway.

If you are looking for a serious cruising boat capable of taking you anywhere in comfort and something that will stand you out amongst all the white plastic then this could be it!

She is currently lying in Portsmouth Harbour UK and is available to view by arrangement at any time. Pictures can be viewed on the williams and Smithells website at www.williamsandsmithells.co.uk Their site is organised by vessel size I think so just scroll down to 38'. She has a lovely dark green hull with cream topsides.

Do not put too much stock in the price on their site. This is just a guide for offers. Make no mistake, I am open to suggestions on price and she will sell to someone for the right money.

If you would like to arrange a viewing you can either contact me through this forum or on my mobile 07702 598165 for serious enquiries.

I hope you have enjoyed reading this and please follow the link to view the pictures. She is well worth a look.

Kind regards
Jan and Archie