Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2013, 10:21   #16

Boat: Lavranos 40
Re: Perkins 4-108 remanufactured bobtail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcoat View Post
I have 2 of these 4-108m and boy do I feel stupid. I am just glad I didn't repower with a mitsubishi.
You're right, I 'm pretty sure even a rebuilt 30 y/o perkins is more reliable than a brand new mitsubishi.
I just compared to show that 9k is a bit expensive for a rebuilt engine, even if it's probably the most reliable ever made.
The kit to rebuilt a perkins is 600 usd, and you can find none rebuilt engines in working condition for 1k-3k. A good mechanic is not gonna spend more than a few days to rebuilt it.
Old 19-03-2013, 10:36   #17

Boat: Cooper 416

Yes it is expensive but what on a boat isn't. Like I said I have 2 of these and some idea of what it really takes to do it right.By the time anyone gets it done it will cost a bunch of money. Lucky for me I do my own wrenching. Sometimes thats a good thing but it is never easy. By the time you clean the bilge the Racors the Hoses and everything else you can finally get to you have spent a bunch of money and that is if you do it yourself. This is a drop in motor. It really is the way to go if you have a Perkins in place all ready. If you are changing to a different motor you have to add shaft prop cutlass and trans to the mix.oh and don't forget about cutting your stringers.
Old 19-03-2013, 10:46   #18

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

[QUOTE=Redcoat;1188121]Ok I see what your saying I should give it away. I bought this engine paid cash.
QUOTE]
Nobody is saying you should give it away. Just saying you might be a little high for a remanufactured engine.

Quote:
I have 2 of these 4-108m and boy do I feel stupid. I am just glad I didn't repower with a mitsubishi.
I just rebuilt a Westerbeke W46 which id a Mitsubishi 4DQ5. All the parts from the bottom up were $2K. Outside labor $2K. Considering a core is $1500, do the math. By the way Perkins leak. It's a fact of life for an English engine.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 19-03-2013, 10:57   #19

[QUOTE=Celestialsailor;1189241]
Quote:
Ok I see what your saying I should give it away. I bought this engine paid cash.
QUOTE]
Nobody is saying you should give it away. Just saying you might be a little high for a remanufactured engine.

I just rebuilt a Westerbeke W46 which id a Mitsubishi 4DQ5. All the parts from the bottom up were $2K. Outside labor $2K. Considering a core is $1500, do the math. By the way Perkins leak. It's a fact of life for an English engine.
I guess thats why they don't make laptop computers. Haven't found a way to make them leak oil. But it is a perkins and not a mitsubishi
Old 20-03-2013, 19:27   #20

Boat: 47' Steel Roberts Cutter

boy, you sure know how to sell an engine... everyone here is lining up to be abused!

oh well... guess we're all just armchair sailors who sit at the dock and don't know what the heck we're talking about anyway...

good luck with it!

Old 20-03-2013, 20:23   #21

Boat: csy 37

'oldcal46skipper', one of our forum members, lives in the florida panhandle and rebuilds 4-108's. they're $5k to $6k plus shipping. just look him up here and pm him.
Old 21-03-2013, 00:47   #22

Thats what he wants for the block onestep. You call around and start adding it up. Oh and NS I logged more miles on my last jump than you will ever get in your life.
Old 21-03-2013, 04:49   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1978 Alberg 30
Quote:
Thats what he wants for the block onestep. You call around and start adding it up. Oh and NS I logged more miles on my last jump than you will ever get in your life.
For someone who is trying to sell an engine I think you should drop the attitude. Everyone is trying to help by explaining the your price is way off the mark. Most of us know that the price for boat stuff is hi but when your selling a used 20+ year old engine rebuilt/reman its still a 20+ year old engine. You need to be more realistic about it. Not to be a downer but I've been in the marine industry for a long time and seen a lot of people get burned. There are a lot of company's that do bad things. For example or in particular comes to mine. Not to say a name a guy was selling what he called reman engines but what they were was engines that were striped cleaned and reassembled painted ad sold. No parts replaced. A lot of people got screwed over he would never reply back. You need to be realistic with your prices or atheist be able to prove your engines are worth that much.
Old 21-03-2013, 22:40   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkittson View Post
For someone who is trying to sell an engine I think you should drop the attitude. Everyone is trying to help by explaining the your price is way off the mark. Most of us know that the price for boat stuff is hi but when your selling a used 20+ year old engine rebuilt/reman its still a 20+ year old engine. You need to be more realistic about it. Not to be a downer but I've been in the marine industry for a long time and seen a lot of people get burned. There are a lot of company's that do bad things. For example or in particular comes to mine. Not to say a name a guy was selling what he called reman engines but what they were was engines that were striped cleaned and reassembled painted ad sold. No parts replaced. A lot of people got screwed over he would never reply back. You need to be realistic with your prices or atheist be able to prove your engines are worth that much.

Sir I have a pretty good idea what I have going here.
So far it seems to me is that I have a few responses but close to 700 views.
Several have been from commercial venders telling me how my motor has less value and that their recommendation has more value.
Any person that would buy anything like this without standing over it is a idiot.
Second any person who lifted the oil cap on this engine would know what they were looking at.
Also If there is someone who needs this motor they will send me a PM as several have.
This is a Perkins 4-108m. Not a Lowline 4-108. Not a Industrial Motor that you can put in your tractor.
So all I'm saying is that if you need any info or if you have something you want to express in the way of negotiation well don't let me treat you like a turkish rug dealer. This motor will find a home .
Old 22-03-2013, 06:27   #25

Boat: islandpacket
Buy it or dont. Being helpfull by telling someone they are asking to much for something your not going to buy anyway is an insult and no help at all. We all ask a price and we deal with it. to bash him is just mean.
Old 22-03-2013, 06:51   #26

Boat: STARRATT & JENKS 45

As a reference point, I bought a running takeout, replaced the heat exchanger/exh manifold, water pump">raw water pump, and lift pump and had less than $2500 in the whole deal... and I still have the old engine in my garage...for an eventual rebuild...
Old 22-03-2013, 07:41   #27
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

How about posting a picture of the M?

Not sure what the difference is, but I have a 4-108 and could probably tell if I saw pics.
Old 22-03-2013, 08:55   #28

I have pictures in my album. S/V redcoat
Old 22-03-2013, 15:34   #29

Boat: csy 37

according to my perkins workshop manual, the 4-108m IS a lowline model.
Old 22-03-2013, 18:47   #30

Boat: Lavranos 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
according to my perkins workshop manual, the 4-108m IS a lowline model.
Same block and parts then.

Whats the difference between a Perkins 4.108 and a Perkins 4108 lowlin

Tags
perkins