Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2015, 18:00   #31

re: Family Seek Help . . .

Bumpy - Bump Bump . . .

I'm a patient man . . . My dream boat is out there . . .

I have been told , on good authority , what a great community you are here . . . so , I just gotta keep this post alive . . .

Thanks Muckle Flugga and everybody who have ' PM'ed me . . . it's took me three week to discover the private messages . . . lol . .

Jason
Old 25-07-2015, 18:22   #32

Boat: Norman Cross 46

I also recommend sailing in SE Asia ... I just looked on sailboatlistings.com and found several trimarans at reasonable prices ...
A 42+ ft trimaran will give you privacy and plenty of space!
That's my 2 cents!
Good luck !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
Welcome aboard and very sorry to hear of your losses. We will try to help as much as possible.

There are a lot of boats for sale in SE Asia. Many very capable long range cruisers fully loaded are left there as the owners don't want to take on the dangers of the Indian Ocean (often retired) and don't want to return through Indonesia against the weather etc. Malaysia is a country which is easy to live in for UK citizens, and requires very little in the way of visas etc. SE Asia in general is by and large easy sailing with the possibility of quite cheap living. There is a lot there for the girls. Not so much in the Caribbean. If I were you I would be looking at SE Asia for sure. Caribbean is much more expensive in general with less to see and do (from one point of view) and with less overall culture to explore and soak up (safely and cheaply at the same time), and certainly fewer in the way of younger people for you girls to meet. Look at brokerages in Malaysia and Thailand. I am going back there in October and can help vet craft if possible. Good luck and keep asking.

Aye,

S
Old 27-07-2015, 07:26   #33

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

This looks good, and well within your budget:

C C Landfall 43 Foot Sailboat Center Cockpit Ketch 1984 | eBay
Old 30-07-2015, 18:59   #34

Hi Everyone . . . .

Thanks Hamburking . . . while I have your attention , please can you elaborate on the Canadian markets and direct me to the best listings . . .

I still await any help / knowledge on boatyards / marinas, where there are potentially bargains to be had . . .

Also . . . please can somebody, enlighten me on the ports where 'cruisers end their cruise ' and for whatever reason do not fancy the return journey . . .

Again , a 'heads up', on any boat auctions out there, would be gratefully received . . .

Jason
Old 31-07-2015, 03:25   #35

If the girls getting a cabin is a deal breaker something like our Gemini Catamran would be a good option. The main cabin for you and two back cabins (with doors) for the girls. It's still tight living accomodations for 3 adults but at least a degree of privacy. An older small catamaran is really about the only option to get 3 cabins in decent shape at your price point.

While they aren't pushed as Water boats">blue water boats, many have done ocean crossing. Then again, as newbies, I would suggest coastal cruising for a year or two anyway.

Ours is priced a bit higher (we have her listed on the for sale section). We could come down a bit but probably not to 30,000pounds. If you have room to up your budget a bit, drop us a note and we can talk. She's a good boat and the Great Lakes are a great place to start a cruise. Great cruising grounds and in the fall, you can head south thru the rivers or down the atlantic, both great trips.

Or if you drop back to the 3200 models, you could probably find one in your price range.

Otherwise good luck getting thru this tough time.
Old 31-07-2015, 08:37   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mya moonshine View Post
Hi Everyone . . . .

Thanks Hamburking . . . while I have your attention , please can you elaborate on the Canadian markets and direct me to the best listings . . .

I still await any help / knowledge on boatyards / marinas, where there are potentially bargains to be had . . .

Also . . . please can somebody, enlighten me on the ports where 'cruisers end their cruise ' and for whatever reason do not fancy the return journey . . .

Again , a 'heads up', on any boat auctions out there, would be gratefully received . . .

Jason
The canadian dollar is currently about 77 cents US, giving a nice 20% discount on similarly priced boats in US dollars. Your 30,000 GBP is more than $60,000 cdn !!!

Around here, Kijiji is a good place for private sale boats:

Buy or Sell Used or New Sailboat in Ontario | Boats for Sale | Kijiji Classifieds

Its not difficult to get from Lake Ontario (or any of the great lakes) to the east coast of the USA and the atlantic ocean...or the ICW to head south.

Here is another outstanding vessel:

Listings at Harris & Ellis Yachts

These are a couple reputable brokers with good listings:

Toronto Yachts for Sale, New & Used Boat Sales, Powerboats & Sailboats - Toronto Yacht Sales

This is an amazing deal... $20k usd:
Toronto Yachts for Sale, New & Used Boat Sales, Powerboats & Sailboats - Toronto Yacht Sales

I could go on and on. Back in the 70's this part of Ontario was a world leader in yacht manufacturing, and many of the boats were bought and kept locally. C&C, Niagara, Whitby boat works, CS, Tanzer (Quebec, but close), and others.

There is a glut of sailboats here, a soft economy, and a low dollar. Also, the season is short...there are extremely motivated sellers at this time of year...I just got my notice that I must put a deposit on my winter haulout!

And finally, sweet water...no rust, well preserved boats that are only in the water 5 months a year, and only get used for 2 months (july and august).

If there is a listed boat near me, I'll check it out for you. There are other CF members nearby too who would also be glad to help.
Old 31-07-2015, 09:22   #37

This boat is spectacular:

The Niagara 42 is a really beautiful boat built to a very high quality standard..the pictures do not do it justice. I would not hesitate to sail that boat anywhere in the world....5' draft, big tanks, electronics, big cabins, its truly a go anywhere family boat (2 heads). This one looks like everything has already been redone, and its ready to go. Although I haven't seen this particular boat, I've seen other N42 up close, and they are really something. Sorry to go on and on about it, but you could not go wrong with this one....what does everyone else think? And hey, the asking price is just a suggestion.
Old 02-08-2015, 13:57   #38

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
This boat is spectacular:

The Niagara 42 is a really beautiful boat built to a very high quality standard..the pictures do not do it justice. I would not hesitate to sail that boat anywhere in the world....5' draft, big tanks, electronics, big cabins, its truly a go anywhere family boat (2 heads). This one looks like everything has already been redone, and its ready to go. Although I haven't seen this particular boat, I've seen other N42 up close, and they are really something. Sorry to go on and on about it, but you could not go wrong with this one....what does everyone else think? And hey, the asking price is just a suggestion.
Looks like your link is to a 42' whitby ketch.

A niagara 42 would be great. Especially one from the great Lakes

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 02-08-2015, 15:31   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
Looks like your link is to a 42' whitby ketch.

A niagara 42 would be great. Especially one from the great Lakes

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
My mistake. Thank you for the correction. The Niagara yachts were built in St Catherines by the venerable Hinterhoeller, designed by Mark Ellis.

The whitby yachts were made...well...in whitby. Still a decent boat at a nice price...but you are right, not a Niagara 42. I think whitby yachts became PDQ and built big cats for a while.
Old 16-08-2015, 07:20   #40

There is a Wauquiez hood 38 MKI 1979 for sale in Ireland negotiablly in your price range. It is only a few posts away from yours in this forum. It may be worth a look.
Old 20-08-2015, 20:20   #41

Hi Everyone . . .

Thank you for the listings however after much persuasion . . . I am swaying towards a Catamaran . . .

I have learnt of some incredulous deals ( bargains ) if one happens to be in the right place at the right time . . . As Bulawayo has mentioned . . " CASH IS KING . . !

I can up my budget to around £40,000 ( GB pounds ) . . .

I am fully aware of " typical " prices for used CATS . . . I am also aware that many of these CATS have been on the market for years . . incurring all manor of costs , fees, etc . . .

So once again . . . If any of you kind folk can keep your eyes open and post me any suitable listings or any "heads up" on any potential vessels that may come on the market . . .

In fact . . . any useful information at all regarding aquiring a great deal on a Catamaran, would be greatly appreciated . . .

Jason . . .
Old 20-08-2015, 20:55   #42

Another remarkable bargain:

Excellent C C World Cruiser Ready to Sail No Reserv Offshore Electronics Package | eBay

I'm wondering how high the bidding will go.
Old 21-08-2015, 19:20   #43

Hi Hamburking . . .

Thanks for the listing . . . Unfortunatly I cannot locate the item, unless you are referring to the $450,000 CAT, which I doubt . . .

Anyways . . . Please keep posting if you come across anything suitable . . .

Also, good luck with getting a decent price for your ship, she's worth a lot more than advertised, someone's gonna get a bargain if they act FAST . . . she's a beauty . . .

Jason
Old 22-08-2015, 05:08   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
Another remarkable bargain:

Excellent C C World Cruiser Ready to Sail No Reserv Offshore Electronics Package | eBay

I'm wondering how high the bidding will go.
I should have known better than to link to an ebay auction. The auction has been removed...likely the boat was sold.

It was a C&C landfall, 38', fully loaded and in great condition, ready for offshore, located in Boston. The last price I saw was just under $20k usd... a real bargain. No doubt someone scooped it up for the deal of a lifetime.

Now, if someone will only come scoop up my "deal" (my boat is for sale). I've taken two couples out for "test sails" knowing full well they were "tire kickers"...but the wind was good, and it was nice to have some crew for a change. I think people are reluctant to buy a boat that is older than they are.
Old 28-08-2015, 17:04   #45

Re: Family Seek Help . . .

Ahoy Ye Olde Folk of Sea . . .

Thank you all who P.M.ed me . . . you are all very kind . . .

I still need more listings and more inside info on any boatyards and moorings that I may be able to purchase stock for cash . . .

I have never been materialistic . . . however I can't believe that I am actually getting " turned on " looking at pictures of catamarans . . . !

Please help . . .

Jason

Tags
family