Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2014, 07:03   #1

Cruiser, Functional Fixer

My wife will only allow me to spend $10,000.00, so, that's the deal. I'm 68 and work full time so must be functional. Happy to fix as I go. I live in Costa Rica near the Panamanian border, Caribbean side.. I will be keeping the boat near Bocas del Toro in Panama. So, if anybody hears of such a beast drop me a note..

Pura Vida,

Don
Old 04-01-2014, 12:45   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Plan to be back in Bocas by early Feb. For 10K your options will be pretty limited, but if I notice something will post.

There is a small (26' ?) power cat in Bocas Marina. In rough shape. Don't know its legal status, but could be a great boat for the Bocas Archipelago area (rarely any decent wind for sailing anyway).

Not far for you to travel so you should just make a road trip to Bocas and walk the docks/ask around.

I've not yet travelled much of the Caribe coast of CR...suggestions?
Old 04-01-2014, 13:31   #3

Re: Cruiser, Functional Fixer

I think it will take a small miracle to find what I want locally, however, you never know.. I am also looking in Texas, Florida and over in the Caribbean. I work all over Central, South America and the Caribbean. I have a couple of friends on St. Thomas and one in Texas that have offered to help getting a boat down here.. Probably cost me a few beers.. Something closer to home would be great.
Can't help you much with Caribbean coast of CR. Great burgers and beer at my buddies place in Punta Leono. Anchor, go ashore and ask for "Outback Jacks"
A little bit of Australia near the beach in Costa Rica..
I had a Cal 40 that I sold 20 years ago, been a long dry spell. Time fly's

Thank you, and perhaps I will see you in Bocas..
Old 05-01-2014, 05:36   #4

Boat: CORBIN 39

I have a friend who has a pace ship 32 who may be willing to sell. great boat in fresh water too, problem is, it is in Michigan
Old 05-01-2014, 11:12   #5

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Trouble is that with a $10K budget any boat that is not local will likely cost most of your budget just to transport or get sea worthy and deliver (even if your buddies crew for free).

You can get a good skiff in that price range and less. Why not buy a skiff, dry store it, use it to explore the archipeligo, and sleep ashore (or a bow tent in the skiff)? For example, I just sold my Tiburon 23 with Yamaha 60 (2003, partial rebuild recently) for $4K...that would leave you $6K for fuel, fishing gear, and fun!

Always better to live under budget.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:21   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Trouble is that with a $10K budget any boat that is not local will likely cost most of your budget just to transport or get sea worthy and deliver (even if your buddies crew for free).

You can get a good skiff in that price range and less. Why not buy a skiff, dry store it, use it to explore the archipeligo, and sleep ashore (or a bow tent in the skiff)? For example, I just sold my Tiburon 23 with Yamaha 60 (2003, partial rebuild recently) for $4K...that would leave you $6K for fuel, fishing gear, and fun!

Always better to live under budget.
AHA!!!!

Therein lies the secret ... And the advantage... The Mrs. said 10k max for the boat.... I'm sure that transporting back home could be worked into annual household budgeting!!!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
Old 28-01-2014, 09:17   #7

"Almost" local:

Laurin Koster L28 sailboat for sale - Guatemala Yacht Broker - Rio Dulce

Tags
cruise, cruiser, fun