Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2012, 23:20   #1

Boat: owned ericson 38
Aries Tilt Up Vane for Sale

Aries tilt up vane for sale. New, unused in box. Includes wheel adapter. Located in So. Cal. but can deliver anywhere on West Coast later this summer. Will ship at buyer's expense upon receipt of funds transferred to bank account. Marine business references available. Private party.
Old 05-02-2012, 23:25   #2

Boat: Boatless
Re: Aries tilt up vane for sale

What is your asking price?
Old 06-02-2012, 00:00   #3

according to the local aries rep the replacement value is $5,100 plus tax and shipping. I'm thinking $3k. What are you thinking. It's never been installed or used. currently in the rafters in my garage but i'll get it down and take pics later this week.
Old 14-02-2012, 06:33   #4

Boat: Cheoy Lee Ketch 33'

Can you send photos?
Old 14-02-2012, 06:43   #5

Boat: Boatless

PLease PM me some pictures also. Thanks!
Old 14-02-2012, 08:44   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesailorguy View Post
Can you send photos?
Here is a link to the web site: Aries Lift Up Vane Gear Technical Illustration

My vane has the wheel adapter. If you have an email address it is easier to mail you pics or if you don't I can post them on a forum where I can post pics and provide you with the url for that site.

Stay tuned, will get the vane out of the rafters this a.m. and take pics.

Thx,

Gus
805-526-5277
805-791-0287
eamarquardt@sbcglobal.net
Old 14-02-2012, 11:10   #7

To those requesting further information on the Aries vane: Apparently I am of "dubious" character, and, when I try and send pm's I get a message telling me that I'm not allowed to do so.

I've also tried to post the url of a picture, I've posted on another forum I belong to, but I'm, apparently, not allowed to do that either.

Sooooo, I've posted my phone numbers and email address. If you contact me we can work out a way to get you pictures. Either by email, snail mail, or as a last resort mental telepathy.

Sincerely,

Eric "Gus" Marquardt
Old 15-02-2012, 04:54   #8
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eamarquardt View Post
To those requesting further information on the Aries vane: Apparently I am of "dubious" character, and, when I try and send pm's I get a message telling me that I'm not allowed to do so.

Eric "Gus" Marquardt
LOL!!! Not a man of dubious character (I hope), rather a man of few posts. I think that new members are not allowed to send PMs with links until they have a few posts under their belts as an anti-spam measure! You have been cleared now, though
Old 15-02-2012, 04:59   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post
LOL!!! Not a man of dubious character (I hope), rather a man of few posts. I think that new members are not allowed to send PMs with links until they have a few posts under their belts as an anti-spam measure! You have been cleared now, though
Thanks for removing my "dubiousness". I am, or I was at one time by act of Congress, an Officer and a Gentleman in the USMC. I have only been sued once for not paying for something and I won in court.

Cheers,

Gus
Old 17-02-2012, 09:10   #10

Boat: 1965 Alberg 35 #190
Re: Aries Tilt Up Vane for Sale

Gus, I'm so thankful that I bought my Aries and had it installed in Gibralter back in 1986 for only $900.00 all in. I guess the price of aluminum has increased to the point that the same apparatus now costs over 5K still in the box. The Aries is best used with a tiller but the wheel adaptor works too. The dealer sounds like the same kind of rip-off artist that sell Monitors in Pt. Richmond.
Old 17-02-2012, 10:13   #11

Yup, things are a lot more expensive than they used to be. 1986 was over 25 years ago. My wife makes 5X more now than she did in 1986, and I was making 4X more in 2002 (when I went out on disability) than I was in 1986. A friend circumnavigated 1.5X using a vane identical to this one. I'm not aware that he experienced any problems.

I poked around on the internet for prices, found the new Aries site, and contacted the local distributor before deciding on a price. I've gotten several "nibbles" and a tentative purchaser.

Some things have gone down in price with better manufacturing techniques but low production items haven't seen the benefit as much as mass produced items.

Cheers,

Gus
Old 17-02-2012, 10:20   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

I bought my Aries from Nick Franklin for less than $500. The US distributor was asking over $2,000 for the vane at the time. But that's all history. Inflation has caught up with the self steering vane manufacturers. Prices now range from the high $3k to over $6k fir a vane in the same league as the Aries. $3,000 is a good price for a NOS Aries.

Gus's Aries includes the wheel adapter, btw. Go to the Scanmar site and price the Monitor wheel adapter if you want sticker shock.
Old 17-02-2012, 10:28   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
I bought my Aries from Nick Franklin for less than $500. The US distributor was asking over $2,000 for the vane at the time. But that's all history. Inflation has caught up with the self steering vane manufacturers. Prices now range from the high $3k to over $6k fir a vane in the same league as the Aries. $3,000 is a good price for a NOS Aries.
I agree with you on all counts. I'm getting a fair price, any purchaser is paying a fair price, and they are getting a NOS Aries.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I'll be posting more stuff for sale as I get organized.

I'm in Ventura County and available to crew. I have some problems with chronic severe pain but can be of some use.

Cheers,

Gus
Old 22-02-2012, 22:44   #14

Does anyone know the diameter of the wheel adaptor?
Has anyone seen an owner made one?
Old 22-02-2012, 23:23   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by olaf hart View Post
Does anyone know the diameter of the wheel adaptor?
Has anyone seen an owner made one?
The diameter of the hub where the rope goes is about 6" with a 3/8" lip on the back edge to keep the line on the hub (the front of the hub is much bigger.

The overall diameter of the hub is about 8 1/4" where it u-bolts onto the wheel.

It has a handle in the middle that latches the rope hub to the mounting hub.

You can make anything if you have a lathe, mill, indexing head an the right tooling (as I do) but I doubt that you could duplicate the exact design and you would have to figure out a way to make it a bit simpler and easier to fabricate.

I'd contact one of the current vane manufacturers and see if you can buy one or look for a used one.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Gus

Tags
aries, sale