Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2011, 12:52   #16

i don't have any reference for hours on the engine. I have a lot of the paperwork from work done on the boat from the original sale, and i'm pretty sure the date/info of the engine replacement is in there. But i don't have the paperwork with me, it's on the boat. I know that the yanmar is not the original motor.

the frame for a bimini is there. And i have the bimini itself, in practically new condition. It only saw two full seasons with the previous owners. It's a light tan color.

The previous owners had the boat out of the water with mast down for the past couple years. i purchased it that way and had it transported to the Narragansett in Rhode Island where the mast was stepped and i started my trip down the coast.

bilge stays pretty dry, but that does remind me. the electric bilge pump works fine and even has an automatic setting, but the manual bilge pump in the cockpit is inoperable right now, and would have to be rebuilt if you wanted to use that.

no funky smells, just the normal smell of a boat.

i have no extra money left to spend on her unfortunately, so paying for a survey, or fixing the issues that i've mentioned are out of the question for me.

i think i mentioned in the original post that the price is negotiable to some extent. i will consider any reasonable offers and will work with any serious buyers to the best of my abilities.

Columbia dimensions:
28 feet 7 inches in length
10 foot beam
4 feet 8 inches in draft
6 feet 1 inches of belowdecks headroom clearance
8,500 lbs of displacement
3,500 lbs of ballast
41 feet 3 inches of vertical clearance
main designer Alan Payne

i think that covers everything that i've heard from everyone as far as questions go. but please feel free to ask anything else and i'll try to respond as quickly and informatively as i can.

thanks.
Old 26-01-2011, 12:59   #17

For more model info on Columbia 8.7

here's a link to a site with some more model information on the Columbia 8.7 and a basic review. for anyone not really familiar with them.

http://www.columbia-yachts.com/c-8-7.html
Old 30-01-2011, 20:38   #18

still trying to work out my return to the boat. i will keep this post updated as i make plans.
Old 31-01-2011, 17:36   #19

update

Just had a question that reminded me of one other thing about the boat.

The sliding wooden hatchway / companionway cover has some damage to the top of it. Originally this cover was just finished wood, but the previous owner sealed / painted it with white paint to match the cabin top. spots of this paint have now peeled away and the wood under it is a bit gouged.

The three finished wood crib boards that close up the hatchway / companionway are all in great shape and look very nice.

just trying to be honest about everything and post all the issues that i can think of. i don't want anyone to be surprised by anything.

as always let me know if you have further questions.

thanks
Old 31-01-2011, 18:07   #20

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
These boats have a lot of potential. A friend has one he and James Baldwin did some extensive work on, it is a pretty amazing boat.

Good luck getting it, contact James Baldwin for specifies about what was done to the boat.

Great site to poke around on.too.
Old 31-01-2011, 19:09   #21
cruiser

i would imagine this hatch is problematic for all boats... How much do you think a new hatch would cost? a couple hundred bucks??
Old 03-02-2011, 17:46   #22

re: hatch

yeah, possibly. not very expensive. and yes, i'd imagine it's a problem part on many boats since it's a fairly flat surface where water has a chance to puddle.
Old 03-02-2011, 18:16   #23
cruiser

well, I will be enroute on Feb 22... early afternoon(ish)..

Still not sure if i am going to race across the country, or take my time and check out some sites... I will have the stupid cat in the car, and wont be able to leave her in teh car alone while i go site seeing..I can imagine getting arrested for animal cruelty in some poh duck city between here and there...

I may just make the bee line to houston and gulf coast then start hittin gup marinas and everything i can see from the road??? still not sure how that works as i am sure it's a big ole freeway, and nothing is visiale from the highway...
anyways, if you are along the route beween here and florida, sind me a PM and i will put you into my calendar and we can hook up for a day or so and check stuff out...

I will find a pet friendly motel for the cat, it will be a good thing..
Old 03-02-2011, 19:13   #24
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36
You aren't going to see any marinas going through Houston, Berg. Take I-45 south to Galveston. But you will still need to know exits. If you plan on coming through this area, let me know. I'll show you around, or help in any way. marinas in clear lake,texas - Google Maps, OR marinas in galveston texas - Google Maps

Ralph

PS...it's snowing here tonight! WTF!!!????
Old 03-02-2011, 19:30   #25
cruiser

yea, that is what i meant, for me, my route was either a bit north, and not thru houston, or it was south thru houston, then onto Galveston... then up north along the gulf, and into LA, and New Orleans... and on and on

yes, I would be glad to hook up with you... I am guessing it will be at least three days after i leave, which will put me into Houston/Galveston aroudn the weekned of the Feb 26-27th ish

Im trying to not have a schedule and all that.. and i plan on going slow, as my body cant handle full time driving, but, I also want to pull the band off quickly..

If you knwo of a cheap hotel in teh are, let me know...

also, send me a pm with a tele number, and address so i can mapquest it...

thanks

And if there is anything from Californina you want me to bring, I can and will be glad to drag stuff, food, whatever.. just let me know
Old 03-02-2011, 19:55   #26
RTB

I'll check on hotel prices for you. Probably nothing I would call cheap though.
Old 03-02-2011, 21:41   #27
cruiser

just give me names of hotels or the citys you suggest, and i can do the rest...
Old 05-02-2011, 08:08   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksheep196 View Post
yeah, possibly. not very expensive. and yes, i'd imagine it's a problem part on many boats since it's a fairly flat surface where water has a chance to puddle.
Blacksheep, I'm tring to replace my '77 Columbia 8.3 I sold in March. I relocated to St. Augustine, FL from Atlanta and would love to run up the coast for a look at your 8.7. Can you shoot me an email or call me at 904.955.7695. I am actively looking to buy a boat this month.
Old 05-02-2011, 13:03   #29

Boat: Columbia 10.7. 35’
sliding hatch 8.7

Quote:
If the frame is in good shape, it's relatively easy to form a fairly substantial crown to the surface of the hatch. I've done it on my 8.7.
Old 05-02-2011, 13:10   #30
RTB

Quote:

The sliding wooden hatchway / companionway cover has some damage to the top of it. Originally this cover was just finished wood, but the previous owner sealed / painted it with white paint to match the cabin top. spots of this paint have now peeled away and the wood under it is a bit gouged.
This seems to only be a cosmetic issue, requiring a bit of sanding and filling. Then refinish...no big deal.

Tags
columbia, sailboat