Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2014, 08:17   #1

Boat: 1973 Easterly 36
1961 Columbia 29' MkI, $8000 obo Muskegon, MI

I'm putting Blue Bottle up for sale, here's the info!
Up for sale is a Classic Columbia 29' MkI sailboat. It was designed by world renowned naval architect Sparkman Stephens design #1501. I've owned the boat for over 3 years and it is time to move up in size for our growing family otherwise I'd never let go of this beautiful boat. I'll start with a bit of the history of this boat. I am the 3rd owner. The original owner took delivery of the boat in Milwaukee WI, so the boat has always been kept in fresh water. He owned it for over 45years and cruised the North Channel with it every summer with his wife and kids (must be nice to be a school teacher!). The second owner bought it and brought it to Muskegon, he used it for a few years and it fell into some disrepair. I purchased it from this owner in the fall of 2011. It has since been worked on to bring it up to my standards. Here is the rundown of what has been done.

-Equipment: Lewmar Bow roller, with 2 Danforth anchors (1) 35lbs and (1) 25lbs. Harken roller furling (2004) with 130% Genoa in good shape with UV Sunbrella cover. Fully battened main sail in good serviceable shape as well with Sunbrella cover. Jib and main winches on mast. Garhauer 4:1 main sheet, and jib sheet blocks. Original bronze heavy duty single speed Meriman winches. Depth speed and temp sensor. Pressure fresh water system 20 gal water tank. Holding tank approx 12-15gal and marine head. New cushions in v-berth and quarter berth. Inboard Atomic 4 gas engine and 12gal new fuel tank. Winter cover made of billboard vinyl (very tuff).

- In excellent shape no frayed wires or frozen turnbuckles. All bronze turnbuckles. Newer headstay with the addition of the roller furling in 2004. In Michigan rigging seems to last a very long time.

- Engine: The original owner had the Atomic 4 engine rebuilt in the early 2000's I forget the exact date but there is a receipt. It runs great and easily pushes the boat along at cruise speeds of 6knts. It's always been properly winterized and had oil changes at the end of the year, as well as before our yearly cruises up north to Beaver Island. I've installed a PCV kit in order to minimize crankcase vapors in the engine compartment. The original crankcase ventilation from the manufacturer was a poor design. It also has an electric fuel pump and new ignition switch, electronic ignition, plug wires, and spark plugs. A new water pump assembly was installed last year.

-Spring 2012: Sanded topsides of deck and cabin roof prepped for paint, filled some fiberglass core voids and fixed any dings or damage with epoxy and fiberglass. This was done due to the original gel coat being oxidized too much and worn through in a few spots.

-Epoxy primed the decks and topsides and painted off white with Interlux Bright sides.

- Sanded all exterior mahogany toe rail and hatches and varnished.

- Installed new plastic fuel tank to replace the original steel unit. Fuel shut off valve, filter and lines all replaced.

- Replaced fresh water lines added new faucet and pressure water pump.

- Replaced all hose clamps and any damaged or deteriorated hoses. Replaced alternator belt.

- Spring 2013: The hull was painted with Interlux Perfection epoxy paint in a Flag Blue (Dark Navy Blue). It was properly prepped with epoxy primer and faired and low spots to smooth out the hull. This was done again because the gel coat on the sides was oxidized and had nicks and chips out of it. The job came out very nice, smooth and shiny! Hand painted MC numbers and name on the stern. Sheer line was done in Gold paint.

- Both sails cleaned and serviced by Bluffton Bay Sails, new zipper on main sail cover.

-This winter refinishing the stairs/ engine hatch cover.

As usual I've got probably too many parts to list, and thousands of dollars into this thing and I'm sure I've forgotten some detail or other projects ect. If you have any question feel free to contact me. PM will probably get you the quickest reply. I am willing to show the boat at any time on the weekend or late on the weeknights.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stern on in the well.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	74094   Click image for larger version

Name:	Laura painting Mcs.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	74095  

Name:	Dock1.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	74096   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012 White Lake trip bow shot.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	74097  

Name:	Bow at the dock.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	74098   Click image for larger version

Name:	Laura with book.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	74099  

Old 16-01-2014, 08:22   #2

Re: 1961 Columbia 29' MkI, $8000 obo Muskegon, MI

Sorry about the lack of interior pictures... The boat is an hour away and I never really took that many inside shots.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2012 White Lake trip beam reach.JPG
Views:	380
Size:	278.6 KB
ID:	74100   Click image for larger version

Name:	Beam on in the lift.jpg
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	74101  

Name:	On the lake.jpg
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	74102   Click image for larger version

Name:	shear stripe done.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	74103  

Name:	columbia_29_mki_drawing.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	74104  
Old 16-04-2014, 06:08   #3

Finally found some interior shots from when we bought her, although nothing too special.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Interior aft.JPG
Views:	236
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	79438   Click image for larger version

Name:	Interior forward.JPG
Views:	644
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	79439  

Old 23-04-2014, 11:43   #4

Hi appick, she looks like a beautiful boat. Is she sold? can you tell me what is the standing headroom in the cabin? Thanks, Cirrus

Tags
columbia