Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2012, 16:18   #1

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Sail Drives and Props

Moderator's place keeper for a new Helia 44 thread
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 14:12   #2

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Helia
Re: Sail Drives and Props

I'm going to resurrect this thread, because there has been some discussion elsewhere of people who have elected for alternative props (ie Flexofold) other than either the Volvo fixed or folding props that FP offers. I think it would be greatly beneficial for others for us to gather some of that info in one place.

Can those people please respond with which props you've gone with, and what size of prop you have?

Any additional comments as to your performance under motor/sail will be an added bonus.

David
StarryHorizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 14:29   #3

Community Sponsor

You would also have to specify which engine you have as the Helia 44 come standard with a Volvo Penta D2-40 or you can upgrade to a Volvo Penta D2-55.

Both engines use a different prop diameter and pitch.
Old 10-02-2014, 14:54   #4

Excellent point Cotemar. Let's revise the request to these three items:

1) Which engines you have (D2-40 or D2-55)
2) What props you have installed (Flexofold etc)
3) Specs of your props

Any additional comments on performance under sail/motor would also be appreciated.

David
Old 10-02-2014, 16:21   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

We have 2 Helias ; one 40 HP the other 55 HP. Both came with folding props out of the factory, I think they are Volvo but not sure.
In my view 55 HP is too much and useless. When manoeuvring in calm weather even at idle, the boat is difficult to control. (moves very fast both ways)
With one engine at 2.200 rpm >6 kts, 7 if you push a bit more. Two engines >8, up to 8,5 when pushed.
40 HP s is roughly a knot slower in the same conditions.

No problem with props when manouevring and under sail.I think 40 HP is OK unless you are up to strong wind and big seas..

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 10:10   #6

Thanks for sharing Yeloya. The option list I've received does indeed say that the folding props from the factory are made by Volvo.

Hopefully we can get some others to chime in with their experience with some alternatives as well.

David
Old 22-09-2014, 09:28   #7

Community Sponsor

Helia 44 with VP 18X16 folding Props

Helia 44

18X16 Prop on the Volvo Penta D2-55 Saildrive Engines

Volvo Penta D2-55engine use 3 blade folding prop:
18" Dia. X 16" Pitch Left Hand (Counter Clockwise)

Volvo Penta # cast into Blades 3584032
Order Volvo Penta Propeller Blade Kit 3584031

Volvo Penta # cast into Hub 3584247
Order Volvo Penta Hub Saildrive Kit 3858955

Note:The Prop Hub is the same for D1-20 & D1-30 D2-40 and D2-55 engines
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3_blade_folding.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	88608   Click image for larger version

Name:	D2-55 propeller.jpg
Views:	781
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	88609  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf P-44-7-12_EN_Prop_Bullitin.pdf (14.1 KB, 206 views)
File Type: pdf VP Folding propeller 3 blade.pdf (38.5 KB, 226 views)
Old 23-09-2014, 08:13   #8

Hi. First time posting here. We have a Helia 44 in Annapolis that arrived about three weeks ago. We have the 40 HP engines and the Volvo 3-blade folding props. Limited experience with them, but so far both seem to work well. FP puts a placard on the helm station that says to leave the throttles in neutral when sailing. I believe that would only apply to the fixed props that come standard and not to the folding props. I have always been taught to put the throttles in reverse for folding props to help them fold. Is that what others are doing with the folding props?
Helia Libelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2014, 08:30   #9

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helia Libelle View Post
Hi. First time posting here. We have a Helia 44 in Annapolis that arrived about three weeks ago. We have the 40 HP engines and the Volvo 3-blade folding props. Limited experience with them, but so far both seem to work well. FP puts a placard on the helm station that says to leave the throttles in neutral when sailing. I believe that would only apply to the fixed props that come standard and not to the folding props. I have always been taught to put the throttles in reverse for folding props to help them fold. Is that what others are doing with the folding props?
I have seen FP owners with folding props put them in neutral and others put them in reverse.

The official statement on this procedure can be found in this attached bulletin, which states:
---------------------------------------
IMPORTANT!

Gear when sailing

When sailing, set the control lever to reverse if a folding propeller is fitted.

If a fixed propeller is fitted the control lever should be set in neutral or reverse.
When using a fixed propeller and sailing with the control lever set to reverse the speed is slowed down though less noise is being
made.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 44-2-85_US1_130S_Sail_Drive.pdf (92.9 KB, 181 views)
Old 23-09-2014, 09:36   #10

Boat: 2012 Lagoon 500

I've been told that reverse is the place you want to be for non-folding props. When you're in neutral the props naturally spin and that induces an unnatural vibration on the saildrive and subsequently the engine (only noticeable when you raise the engine cover) and wears out some related moving parts (sorry I can't be more specific) before their time. This is based purely on the advise of others and my limited experience. Oh, just don't forget to go neutral before starting -- doh!!!
SailMonAmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2014, 07:32   #11

Boat: 2014 Helia 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryHorizons View Post
Excellent point Cotemar. Let's revise the request to these three items:

1) Which engines you have (D2-40 or D2-55)
2) What props you have installed (Flexofold etc)
3) Specs of your props

Any additional comments on performance under sail/motor would also be appreciated.

David
We have the D2-55's with Volvo folding props. I now have about 3000 miles under the keels of our Helia. In general, I like the Volvo props. Performance is acceptable, and they seem to fold nicely as designed. I like the lack of drag. My only criticism is their bite on reverse. I think they suffer some here. I have experience with Maxprops on our prior monohull, and the reverse bite was exceptional. Not the same with the Volvo's. You need power and time in adverse conditions (like fighting a Bahama's current in tight spaces). But since most of the time we move forward, and since we will not be handling the boat in extreme current again, I think the Volvo's are still a good deal for the price. Much less expensive than others, especially the Maxprops.

On the post for 40's over 55's, we opted for 55's for those few (but inevitable) times when you need power. And, we have been in conditions that challenged our 55's. I was happy to have the power. Personally, I always lean toward more, rather than less, power. Better safe than sorry.
mndreamchaser1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:23   #12

Boat: 2012 Lagoon 500
Re: Helia 44 with VP 18X16 folding Props

I confess - I'm overwhelmed by not knowing what I need and underwhelmed at the availability of understandable information on the internet about explaining what it is I need.

I really only want folding props to reduce drag while sailing. I currently have twins Volvo Diesels (D2-40F) and a two-blade 18" fixed prop. What do I need to make the transition from fixed props to folding? -- hub kit, blade kit, anything else?

What are we talking about in terms of bottom-line? I always see folding props displays at boat shows - do you think they'll be discounted at the upcoming Annapolis Boat Show?
SailMonAmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 21:41   #13

Boat: 2015 Fountaine Pajot SABA 50

I have the D-55's....
That and a few other things like extremes of gear as a Show Boat and Maestro version of Starboard Owners Cabin is why I bought this Helia...

I have the stock folding props. Forty years of this with 11 major yachts, and I like the extra horsepower not for top end speed but for fuel economy. I can run one engine 2000 to 2300 RPM and do 6-7 knots, or both engines at a low stress RPM and the extra HP converts to better fuel economy. It is not about the top end speed of high fuel consumption at 9 knots, it is about lower RPM and better fuel economy for me... HP not being used to the maximus = fuel economy as the diesels are not working hard.

I find NOTHING wrong with the stock folding props in forward OR reverse. Really, they exceeded my expectations. For sport and manoeuvring, I have motored around a larger Marina and inland waterway in reverse. Honestly I am lacking nothing in forward or reverse and the props fold nicely for low drag. I cannot see any reason to change them out, and that would be my advice.

First Helia 44 in Australia... Loaded, no complaints, extensive modifications and luxury, not a brag just why I bought it. It was Multihull Solutions Show Boat from 2013 and dolled up with everything I could ever want already on board. My feeling is the D-55's are the way to go, and the folding stock props I can find no fault in...

Kind regards, Helia
Helia 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2016, 11:21   #14

Community Sponsor

Changing the 3 segment prop zincs

Helia 44 owners,

Have been changing the 3 segment prop zincs on our FP Mahe 36 for years with a mask and fins.

This past weekend I cleaned the Helia 44 folding props and changed the 3 segment prop zincs with ease using just the mask and fins.

Its a nice option to have without putting on dive tanks or hiring a diver.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Prop zincs.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	405.3 KB
ID:	131146  
Old 15-09-2016, 01:48   #15

Looking at the boat and engine specs the Hélia 44 should go quite faster than this under power, especially with the 55 hp version.
We have proven to allow considerable higher speed with our props, especially on catamarans, the lighter they are, the higher the increase of speed vs standard props

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
We have 2 Helias ; one 40 HP the other 55 HP. Both came with folding props out of the factory, I think they are Volvo but not sure.
In my view 55 HP is too much and useless. When manoeuvring in calm weather even at idle, the boat is difficult to control. (moves very fast both ways)
With one engine at 2.200 rpm >6 kts, 7 if you push a bit more. Two engines >8, up to 8,5 when pushed.
40 HP s is roughly a knot slower in the same conditions.

No problem with props when manouevring and under sail.I think 40 HP is OK unless you are up to strong wind and big seas..

Cheers

Yeloya
EWOL Props is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
130S, Folding Props, Props, sail, saildrive