Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2010, 16:36   #1

Boat: Orana 44
Orana 44 Electrical Modifications and Issues

Warning Voltage drops on FP Orana probably Mahe, Liparis? & Salinas

Hi Guys,

This is an issue I had recently that may be of interest and applies to all? the current FP models. I apologise for the photo quality, I had to use a mobile phone/torch and the Orana is now 10,000 miles away.

On the Orana the power is fed to 4 distribution boxes. On the Orana the first box is in the starboard hull master cabin, the next two are under the sofa (main cabin) and the last is in the port rear cabin. All are wired in series, so a voltage drop in the first box is a voltage drop in the rest of the boat. If FP joined the last box back to the battery and made a ring it would be less of a problem! The box has a printed circuit board (PCB) with ten connections (push on/spade) to individual circuits each fused and connected to the main terminals by the PCB.

I was losing 0.75v from the battery to my first box, so taking the box apart I found the main positive terminal was loose, so I took the connections off. Underneath there is a single stainless? nut and 6 washers connecting the terminal to a PCB. Looking at the negative terminal there are two nuts. One to hold the bolt to the PCB and the other to lock it. So a nut is missing. Further examination of the postive terminal connection reveals that the connection to the terminal is via an uncoated tinned connection that the nut is tighten upto. So a loose nut creates a large voltage drop. So I checked the rest of the boxes, 1 was lose and 3 weren't tight.

So it may be a good idear to check all these connections. I presume these are stainless nuts and bolts, if so they have only 3% of the conductance of copper (Ref Calder). The maximum current draw from any one circuit is 25 amp and most are much less. So its not a wonderful system of power distribution relying on the contact between 3 nuts and a PCB board.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo1.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	21765   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo2.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	21766  

Old 07-12-2010, 16:46   #2

Orana Anchor Override

Hi guys,

I have re-written my recent post (in Athena 38: Anchor Windlass Interlock thread) explaining how to do this modification on an Orana. It's a pdf file with a photos and a wiring diagram. This modification will work on any boat with a similar type of solenoid control.

Hope it helps.
Old 07-12-2010, 17:55   #3

How to access the alternator brushes/fit external regulator

Hi guys,

I have written up "how to access the alternator brushes" on the VP D2-40 115 am alternator in the attached pdf. It applies equally to the D1-30, D1-20 etc as fitted to various other current FP models. I fitted a Sterling Power digital alternator but for any other brands of regulator the procedure is similar. Please follow the manufacturers instructions closely. I fitted two regulators to my Orana and it does speed up the charging process considerably.

Hope it helps
Attached Files
File Type: pdf How to access the brushes-3.pdf (395.2 KB, 1912 views)

Tags
orana