Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2010, 11:55   #1

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II
Anchor Windlass Interlock

Does anyone know how the windlass interlock works. On my Athena, you can only use the windlass with the port engine running. I would like the option of using either engine.
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2010, 13:19   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
And I would like the option of getting rid of the interlock altogether. What in the world is the point? To protect us from ourselves, from running down the batteries?

I can't really deploy my 55kg (121 pound) Rocna and 100 meters of 12mm chain without the windlass. What if the engine doesn't start?
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2010, 13:24   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
My Beneteau has one of those interlocks too. I guess it's to prevent us idiots from killing the batteries. Some have bypassed it. It's not too difficult to do. Apparently there's a solenoid that's energized by the alternator when the engine's running. It can be bypassed. See here Yahoo! Groups
Old 25-11-2010, 13:26   #4

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
I have not bypassed mine. In an emergency I have a big wrench that I would loosen the clutch with to deploy the hook. The wrench is always handy.
Old 30-11-2010, 02:06   #5

Boat: Orana 44
How to bypass the windless lockout

I have bypassed the windless interlock on my Orana. On the Orana the remote control is installed on the wrong side of the anchor winch by FP. So the only way to ensure the cable doesn't cross the chain is to operate the anchor winch by standing on the locker lid. So after several near misses it finally got chewed up - so I re-routed the remote control cable and bypassed the necessity of running the starboard engine to operate the anchor windless.

First of all you need to locate the anchor solenoid - this controls the windless. The anchor windless solenoid has 3 large (heavy duty cable) 8mm circular connections, the centre connection is the +12v to the solenoid via the windless breaker. When 12v is switched up one of the remaining two 8mm connections the chain goes up, switching the other connection causes the chain to go down. The solenoid switching is contolled by 3 much smaller push fit connections. The centre connection is fed with "engine on" 12v via the alternator I suspect. The remote/foot switch connects this 12v to one of other 2 connections. These two connections engages the solenoid and causes the chain to go up or down depending on which connection has 12v on it. So to bypass the lockout connect 12v (via a 5amp fuse and an overide switch) to the centre small push-on connection. Whenever the switch is on the windless will operate regardless of whether the engine is running. Due to a current draw of about 80-100 amps it is easy to flatten a battery without care so thats why its best to have an overide switch - mine is in the anchor locker close to the windless.
Old 30-11-2010, 05:23   #6

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Oranaman,
Could you post a few pictures. I am interested in doing this also.
Mark
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 16:53   #7

Boat: Orana 44
Anchor windless override Modification

Hi all,

I have written up this modification in a new thread Orana 44 Electrical modifications and issues today. There are explanations, diagrams and photos included in the pdf file. Please note I wrote my original post from memory and there is an error in it regarding the small centre connection of the control circuit. So download this pdf file for the full explanation.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post573607

Tags
anchor